ZINSSER® Smart Prime - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,674
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default ZINSSER® Smart Prime

Has anyone used ZINSSER® Smart Prime for kitchen cabinets? I've got some old Oak cabinets to do.

I do plan on priming all the doors and drawers with BIN but want to do the on-site boxes with a low odor waterbased primer. I'll be using Advance Satin in a light gray. Will brush & roll the boxes and spray the rest off-site.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...s/smart-prime/
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,824
Thanked 4,701 Times in 3,169 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Every retailer i've worked at that got in Smart Prime for a special promo couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Most of the time at half price. That's pretty much the only experience i've had with it though.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Every retailer i've worked at that got in Smart Prime for a special promo couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Most of the time at half price. That's pretty much the only experience i've had with it though.
Expensive premium primers are probably a hard sell to most painters and homeowners. Any complaints about the quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,824
Thanked 4,701 Times in 3,169 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Expensive premium primers are probably a hard sell to most painters and homeowners. Any complaints about the quality?
No complaints that i remember. Just the price was too high for box store customers like you said.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,712
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I tried to find the stuff. I wasnt able to find any anywhere. I dont think they make it anymore. I poked my head in a Sherwin today, and I saw a similar primer. Its an acrylic alkyd primer, like smartprime. Dunno if its any good though. You might wanna use XIM UMA. Its similar to stix, except it has stain blocking. And its sandable.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Mr Smith (08-29-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
Professional Painter

Rewards Points: 621
View loaded brush's Photo Album My Photos

Smart Prime is still produced.
loaded brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 9,986
Thanked 15,335 Times in 8,028 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Used quite a bit about eight years or so ago. Liked it. But I did have some trouble with bleed through on some dark stained cabinets I used it on. After that, I never used it for that type of situation again.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Used quite a bit about eight years or so ago. Liked it. But I did have some trouble with bleed through on some dark stained cabinets I used it on. After that, I never used it for that type of situation again.
Most of those old cabinets are sealed with some sort of clear coating or poly. How can it bleed through that? I just wash them and degloss if necessary with Krud Cutter and then prime. I never want to break that barrier with sandpaper. That's when you get bleed through.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #9

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Nearly every primer failure (bleed through of a stain) I have had has been on the frames particularly around the stove, sink, dishwasher, near the floor. It is just not as easy to prep these areas properly and they can get pretty funky. BIN will usually fix a less than optimal prep. I would go ahead and use BIN brush and roll on those frames. It wont stink that long and you will be confident in your process. I have not used smart prime.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tprice2193 View Post
Nearly every primer failure (bleed through of a stain) I have had has been on the frames particularly around the stove, sink, dishwasher, near the floor. It is just not as easy to prep these areas properly and they can get pretty funky. BIN will usually fix a less than optimal prep. I would go ahead and use BIN brush and roll on those frames. It wont stink that long and you will be confident in your process. I have not used smart prime.
I didn't know you can brush and roll BIN. I just assumed that it was a spray only coating. Will the roll texture sand out for the boxes?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
RH

Quote:
Most of those old cabinets are sealed with some sort of clear coating or poly. How can it bleed through that? I just wash them and degloss if necessary with Krud Cutter and then prime. I never want to break that barrier with sandpaper. That's when you get bleed through.

Well, you asked if anyone had used it and I had. Then I described my experience. If you already have all the answers, not sure why you posted your question. Not unusual for cabinets getting painted to be in less than pristine condition.
ridesarize likes this.

Groucho Marx
Old 09-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 104
View KooLayed369's Photo Album My Photos

Kelly Moore makes a hybrid primer, 265 is the product number, that performs well. It is brushable, rollable and sprayable, as well as sandable. Low odor and price too.
KooLayed369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

@Mr Smith, I prefer to spray BIN but when I cant I use a foam brush and roller. You get a texture that easily sands smooth. You will get some runs too but they readily sand out as well. Two thin coats are best...no need to sand between coats.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,712
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLayed369 View Post
Kelly Moore makes a hybrid primer, 265 is the product number, that performs well. It is brushable, rollable and sprayable, as well as sandable. Low odor and price too.
Does it really take 4 hours to dry?
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,750
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Well, you asked if anyone had used it and I had. Then I described my experience. If you already have all the answers, not sure why you posted your question. Not unusual for cabinets getting painted to be in less than pristine condition.
Mad-dog???
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,502
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Mad-dog???
http://www.bumwine.com/md2020.html
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm just saying that your experience MAY have been user error. Some painters mistakenly sand the clear coat and 'punch through' the barrier which can lead to bleed through. Not saying you did but that is certainly a possibility. Not sure why you came back with the snarky response. Also with the waterborne primers that claim to stop tannin bleed, they often state that a 2nd coat may be necessary to stop the bleed entirely.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 09-09-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Old 09-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #18
RH

Quote:
I'm just saying that your experience MAY have been user error. Some painters mistakenly sand the clear coat and 'punch through' the barrier which can lead to bleed through. Not saying you did but that is certainly a possibility. Not sure why you came back with the snarky response. Also with the waterborne primers that claim to stop tannin bleed, they often state that a 2nd coat may be necessary to stop the bleed entirely.
Not snarky - you asked for members’ experiences with the product. I shared, then you proceeded to infer it was my incorrect process that caused it. Trust me, it wasn’t my first rodeo. So take heed, or not, I couldn’t care less.

Groucho Marx
Old 09-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Not snarky - you asked for members’ experiences with the product. I shared, then you proceeded to infer it was my incorrect process that caused it. Trust me, it wasn’t my first rodeo. So take heed, or not, I couldn’t care less.
Yes your response was definitely snarky. I asked you how it can bleed through a clear coat barrier. Your answer was " If you already have all the answers, not sure why you posted your question"

All you had to do was explain further your situation. Instead, you get all defensive and give THAT response.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 09-09-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #20
RH

Quote:
Yes your response was definitely snarky. I asked you how it can bleed through a clear coat barrier. Your answer was " If you already have all the answers, not sure why you posted your question"

All you had to do was explain further your situation. Instead, you get all defensive and give THAT response.
Nothing to explain. Now, just let it go - cause I am.

Groucho Marx

Tags
None