4' wide paper - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By chrisn

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,646
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos
Default 4' wide paper

Heres a link to this paper a client wants a price for. https://www.fschumacher.com/item/5005881

Theres not much for directions, and they couldnt tell me much over the phone, except that its a paper.

I have a few questions, maybe you guys have encountered this. Does very wide paper like this expand and shrink a lot more than regular paper? Should I use a liner to help with the shrinking? Can I hang this by myself without ripping it? Should I book more or less? Thanks in advance!
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

I ended up turning the job down. It sounds like extremely delicate paper, and the ceilings are 11 feet high. Being 4 feet wide, scares the crap out of me. I get the feeling it would rip quick as lightning. This stuff is a $100 a yard too. I told the client I recommended finding a different paper that isnt so touchy and difficult. The wallpaper company said the black ink would run with any moisture too. I dont get it. If you're gonna be some high end wallpaper company, why make the paper so difficult to work with, and easy to destroy?
Gymschu likes this.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 114
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Good decision, Woodco. I know I once installed some 54 inch commercial vinyl in a bank that was extremely difficult......and I did it myself which was stupid as well. It turned out ok, but, my oh my, I about killed myself doing the work. I can't imagine hanging such delicate paper. Any little thing goes wrong and you are screwed.
Woodco likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

I had half a mind to split the sheets down the middle... lol

Today, I went to my local happy hour, and I saw this designer chick that hangs out there. Turns out, she showed me a pic on her phone of the exact same paper a couple weeks ago, and they decided not to, as they would have needed 15 yards, and its a $100 a yard. I calculated 13 yards for the wall my client wanted, Thats with no leeway either. $1300 worth of very rippable, and stainable paper for one wall.....I think I made the right choice.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

That site says 1 yard per roll?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
That site says 1 yard per roll?
sold by the yard instead of the roll. Thats another thing that scares me. If I were to order enough extra to do one strip in case one of them ripped, it would cost over $400.

Over at Painters Pit stop, someone thats done these before said he lines the walls, rolls each strip inside out, sticks a pole in it, and pastses the wall with a halper, and rolls it down. He didnt say anything about expansion though... I may have taken the job if I had gotten that info beforehand, actually.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

It would have scared me off for sure.
Woodco likes this.

Tags
None