Help! Vinyl Over Vinyl Trouble - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 08-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View bentspoke01's Photo Album My Photos
Default Help! Vinyl Over Vinyl Trouble

Looking for some input. I recently installed some commercial vinyl over existing commercial vinyl and am having some issues.

First off, I did not want to install the new vinyl over the existing but the customer didnít want to pay to have the old vinyl stripped.

I talked to Roman and told them what I had to do. They suggested that I use their Pro-935 primer over the existing vinyl and hang the new with their Pro-555 extreme tack paste.

Now that everything has been up for around three weeks Iím getting a lot of air and paste bubbles that werenít there after the install and the customer is not happy about them.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? I know that theyíre sealed between the two vinyls but will these air and paste bubbles eventually disappear?
Iím sort of freaking out at this point.
bentspoke01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,306
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentspoke01 View Post
Looking for some input. I recently installed some commercial vinyl over existing commercial vinyl and am having some issues.

First off, I did not want to install the new vinyl over the existing but the customer didnít want to pay to have the old vinyl stripped.

I talked to Roman and told them what I had to do. They suggested that I use their Pro-935 primer over the existing vinyl and hang the new with their Pro-555 extreme tack paste.

Now that everything has been up for around three weeks Iím getting a lot of air and paste bubbles that werenít there after the install and the customer is not happy about them.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? I know that theyíre sealed between the two vinyls but will these air and paste bubbles eventually disappear?
You can use a hypodermic needle to suck excess paste bubbles out.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

I found vinyl over vinyl always bubbles. They will not go away on their own. You will have to smooth them out.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 26
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos

Before it solidifies, Maybe 2 weeks maybe longer you may have to smooth it out a few times before it dries. the glue is gassing in a non porous environment always going to be a few bubbles. They may suck back down or not. Good luck.
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,186
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentspoke01 View Post

Lame, but the customer cant be mad at you about it... They wanted to cheap out about the removal.

I would make a small makeshift version of a 'hohlenpoker' with about five sewing needles on a pencil eraser, jab the bubbles a few times and roll them out.
Whiskey likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

https://parodipalace.com/hohlenpoker/index.htm
Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #7
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

Has anybody ever perforated the vinyl on the wall before installing?

Edit... Oh My Gosh... I just checked out Chris's link. Now I can't delete my post and I look stupid.

Edit: I guess I could try to come up with another post before anybody reads this.

Edit: Well that's not going well.

Edit: Heat or something something something... dang

Last edited by Underdog; 09-10-2019 at 12:53 AM..
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,186
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Has anybody ever perforated the vinyl on the wall before installing?

Edit... Oh My Gosh... I just checked out Chris's link. Now I can't delete my post and I look stupid.

Edit: I guess I could try to come up with another post before anybody reads this.

Edit: Well that's not going well.

Edit: Heat or something something something... dang

Now you CANT change it!

P.S. when you edit your post, you can delete everything you wrote, and write 'nevermind.'

Last edited by Woodco; 09-11-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #9
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Now you CANT change it!

P.S. when you edit your post, you can delete everything you wrote, and write 'nevermind.'
Ha, been so long since I've posted here that I forgot I have to subscribe to be notified of posts to the same thread.

Thanks for that but I always forget if nevermind is one or two words. It's underlined in red as one word, but my dictionary has been known to be wrong.

But I'm a Paint Talk veteran, I can take it when people log on to my post and not get great information.

Tags
commercial, paste, vinyl, wallcovering