How do I learn? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 38
View trainbeat's Photo Album My Photos
Default How do I learn?

I really want to learn how to hang paper, but it's so niche that the few guys I know of have zero interest in taking on an apprentice. Do any of you hangers know of any online resources that I can check out? Books? I'm wary of going to youtube when I see all the terrible finishing videos.
trainbeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #2
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Bill will be along soon
daArch (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

How skilled are you, what can you do now?
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,090
Thanked 9,608 Times in 5,459 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainbeat View Post
I really want to learn how to hang paper, but it's so niche that the few guys I know of have zero interest in taking on an apprentice. Do any of you hangers know of any online resources that I can check out? Books? I'm wary of going to youtube when I see all the terrible finishing videos.
Learn how to tuck and cut, and everything else will fall into place so to speak.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I would love to learn the trade as well. Really wish I were closer to some of the pros here.

I rarely get asked about paper, but I have a job right now on books for next month that I have no one to sub to. I had to tell them I didn't know of anyone I could recommend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

The only instructor I know who (I think) is still teaching is Brad Bender in VT.

Call your local trade school and see if they do.

The NGPP (now operating under a new name) has always been making noise about running some beginner courses, but I do not think they ever got their act together. PWG is still an active member and may have some info about that.

At one point, John Cox of Commerce GA had a school - The American School of Paperhanging Arts, but it ceased way many years ago. They (he and wife Gail) then produced a series of instructional VCR tapes. I have no idea if they still sell them. Gail kinda dropped off the face of the earth a few years back.

I remember that some folks were selling used tapes when we all had VCR's. Maybe ???? you can search the net for them

The website for The American School of Paperhanging Arts is http://paperhanging.com/

maybe you can figure out what their status is now (if they HAVE a status). But if you shoot Gail an email, count yourself REAL lucky if you get a reply.

Sorry, that's all I got.

How about joining the union and learning ???

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

You may not get a Masters degree in wallcovering, but this organization looks like it provides some training. http://www.wallcoverings.org/?page=T...%22training%22
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
You may not get a Masters degree in wallcovering, but this organization looks like it provides some training. http://www.wallcoverings.org/?page=T...%22training%22
That looks like a pretty good place to start
Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
The only instructor I know who (I think) is still teaching is Brad Bender in VT.

Call your local trade school and see if they do.

The NGPP (now operating under a new name) has always been making noise about running some beginner courses, but I do not think they ever got their act together. PWG is still an active member and may have some info about that.

At one point, John Cox of Commerce GA had a school - The American School of Paperhanging Arts, but it ceased way many years ago. They (he and wife Gail) then produced a series of instructional VCR tapes. I have no idea if they still sell them. Gail kinda dropped off the face of the earth a few years back.

I remember that some folks were selling used tapes when we all had VCR's. Maybe ???? you can search the net for them

The website for The American School of Paperhanging Arts is http://paperhanging.com/

maybe you can figure out what their status is now (if they HAVE a status). But if you shoot Gail an email, count yourself REAL lucky if you get a reply.

Sorry, that's all I got.

How about joining the union and learning ???

REALLY lucky, like I highly doubt it. I was paying her for my website and she would not even communicate with me I never head what happened to her, maybe Tim knows?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
John,

From the looks of it, that WA program doesn't appear to be teaching rudimentary skills. Many of the faces I recognize, but NONE are the ones I would think of as having a good grasp on teaching rudimentary skills.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just going by what and who I see.

Unfortunately this industry is severely lacking in having an organized program to teach the basics.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
REALLY lucky, like I highly doubt it. I was paying her for my website and she would not even communicate with me I never head what happened to her, maybe Tim knows?

Gee, that's the first time I heard THAT

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
chrisn (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 38
View trainbeat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How skilled are you, what can you do now?
Generally, or in regards to paperhanging? As far as paperhanging, zilch. Squat.
trainbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 36
View JourneymanBrian's Photo Album My Photos

most of the time people use non-woven wallcoverings now anyway, and they are not hard to hang. Why dont you buy a few cheap rolls of one of those, and experiment?

With the non wovens you just paste the wall and apply your lenths one by one. The only thing that remains somewhat tricky is calculating how many lengths/rolls you will need.
JourneymanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 AM   #14

(non woven in comparison to paper)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
John,

From the looks of it, that WA program doesn't appear to be teaching rudimentary skills. Many of the faces I recognize, but NONE are the ones I would think of as having a good grasp on teaching rudimentary skills.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just going by what and who I see.

Unfortunately this industry is severely lacking in having an organized program to teach the basics.
I had to search for something when you mentioned looking into the union for training. The WA seemed most current in terms of offering any training, not only to those who want to hang, but also to manufactures. I found one in NJ called American Wallcovering, but it looks like they no longer provide training. Their site says it's only for historical purpose.

I learned Wallcovering by working hands on with a former employer. He had really good skills but he was primarily a painter rather than a hanger. He did sub out work to another guy who was an excellent hanger. I picked up a few tricks from him also.

One way to practice could be to start in closets, as one site suggested, or offer to hang a bathroom or kitchen as charity.

I think it would have been cool to turn some of these military installation they tore down near me, into workshops for things just like this.

Last edited by CApainter; 03-26-2015 at 09:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainbeat View Post
Generally, or in regards to paperhanging? As far as paperhanging, zilch. Squat.
To me, the most important part of the job is preparation. You have good walls and you're 80% there.
Most painters can float and get walls smooth.

Paperhangers disagree on their favorite sizes and sealers, but having smooth coated walls so the adhesive doesn't absorb into the wall immediately is the most important thing.

Mostly it depends on the material. I could have you hanging the first day over the phone with the right kind of material.

The problem with the trade now is all the exotic, persnickety wallpapers that are flooding the high end market.

Most of us learned on canvas back wallpaper in the seventies, with wheat paste the adhesive of choice. Plaid was the style so we learned how to hang straight.

Map out the room so the seams don't fall close to doors or corners.
Use the recommended adhesive.
Hang a few strips before cutting (On long walls) to make sure the ceiling line is straight.
Match it at eye level and smooth from the middle outward to prevent bunching.
Be careful not to cut into the wood with your preliminary cuts.
Only lap the corner 1/16th of an inch. Come out of the corner with a fresh strip if you can.
Going around windows, you're on your own.
Smoke outside... Presto you're a paperhanger.

My dad was a house painter until somebody asked him if he knew how to hang wallpaper. He said, "...Yeeah... sure,.. I can.. do .. . that?"

(Disclaimer: don't try this with material that you aren't willing to buy back from your customer without crying, or blaming me)

I paint paint (06-08-2015), Jmayspaint (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 196
View Ohio Painter's Photo Album My Photos

A book to start with is Encyclopedia of Wallpapering by David M Groff. Should be able to find it easy enough.
A place to practice is in a empty house about to be remodeled or renovated. Ask around of anyone who does this type of work who can give you permission to paper the walls for practice. If you could get a few days in there before the guys come in to do demo.

Buy some rolls on clearance, and have at it.

As already said it is all about the prep and primer / sizing used. Pasting is straight forward. Hanging to match is straight forward. Learning to hang around openings is where it can start to get complicated quick.

Once you get comfortable with the prep, pasting, and hanging then only take on simple jobs with vinyl papers you are comfortable with. Go from there. It will take time.
Avoid hanging cheap paper.
Good luck.
Ohio Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #18

@Underdog: canvas-backed wallpaper, that sounds like fun :O
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
PinheadsUnite

I think your best bet is to talk to an established hanger and work for FREE as his/her "sponge bitch" for a while. Watching carefully and picking his/her brain. After a time, he/she may allow you to do some basic stuff, like pasting or washing what was hung.

I got started by having a professional hang paper in a house I was painting. I watched carefully and was given the sponge to clean up after him. My first "paying job" was my parents' hall and stairs. Simple pattern, prepasted garbage. It took prolly three or four times what it would today, but because I took my time, I did learn. Being self taught doesn't mean you teach yourself, being self taught means you pick a lot of brains.

I do not know Groff's Encyclopedia of Wallpapering. I do own his The Complete Guide to Wallpapering . It's alright if you are a DIY'er. There are some very helpful things in it, there are things that I do differently, and there are things that I consider terribly wrong. Plus the book is woefully outdated. Sure, use it as a starting point, but do not take it as THE Wallpapering Bible.

Where do you live? Who knows, someone here may know someone with the patience, generosity, and foresight to share knowledge to allow the craft to survive.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 20
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I think your best bet is to talk to an established hanger and work for FREE as his/her "sponge bitch" for a while. Watching carefully and picking his/her brain. After a time, he/she may allow you to do some basic stuff, like pasting or washing what was hung.

I got started by having a professional hang paper in a house I was painting. I watched carefully and was given the sponge to clean up after him. My first "paying job" was my parents' hall and stairs. Simple pattern, prepasted garbage. It took prolly three or four times what it would today, but because I took my time, I did learn. Being self taught doesn't mean you teach yourself, being self taught means you pick a lot of brains.

I do not know Groff's Encyclopedia of Wallpapering. I do own his The Complete Guide to Wallpapering . It's alright if you are a DIY'er. There are some very helpful things in it, there are things that I do differently, and there are things that I consider terribly wrong. Plus the book is woefully outdated. Sure, use it as a starting point, but do not take it as THE Wallpapering Bible.

Where do you live? Who knows, someone here may know someone with the patience, generosity, and foresight to share knowledge to allow the craft to survive.

SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-26-2015)

Tags
None