Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Removing Wall Paper

9K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  daArch 
#1 ·
So, I broke down and used a pump up garden sprayer to wet the backing of the wallpaper I was stripping today. After 10 houses with multiple rooms and bathrooms later over the last 2 months, why did I never do this before?

I always used a squirt bottle before. This was WAY easier......

#3 ·
I felt kinda dirty changing methods so late in the game, usually wallpaper removal is few and far between, but I have beem doing full house renos lately and the lingering wallpaper here is finally leaving my region. People here love the 10 million variations of texture and wallpaper is not as common here as it once was.

I had to break out the pump up because, frankly, my hands hurt. I am so glad I did. Love the set up Arch.

#4 ·
I gotta a call for a 3000 sq ft stripping job (says he read my "stuff" on the forums). As much as I appreciated the call, and wanted to take it on, I had to decline because that would be too many days after days of work that would destroy my body.

Stripping day after day can really take its toll. Especially at my tender age. The air pump reduced on repetitive motion that was no good on my wrist.

#8 ·
I would think that would atomize tons. The pump up with drops and some beach towels against the base was good enough for me. I used hot water and dif too...

#13 ·
You can always call

Land line on my site

Cell: five oh eight, to ate for, for won fore nine (so spelled to foil the bots)

that goes for most here. If I am working make it SHORT !. I may have a wet soggy strip by the corners waiting to disintegrate. (bluetooth is never on site, headphones are).

just IDENTIFY yourself :whistling2: ;) :thumbup:

#16 ·
So, I broke down and used a pump up garden sprayer to wet the backing of the wallpaper I was stripping today. After 10 houses with multiple rooms and bathrooms later over the last 2 months, why did I never do this before?

I always used a squirt bottle before. This was WAY easier......
Good point. Havent done any in a while, but I used to do a lot. Always used a squirt bottle too. I have one to bid Monday. Maybe its time I start using a pump sprayer too. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I have no love for the paper tiger. You get stuck with millions of pieces of shredded garbage, plus it has no love for drywall. I'd rather soak and peel as close to a full sheet as possible.

Glad it works for you though.

#24 · (Edited)
ole,

Please try 36 grit in a sander.

The pro's are you don't score the wall, you expose much more substrate than a Paper Tiger, and the paper comes off whole - not in strips as with scoring with a blade.

The con is the dust. Either vacuum before spraying, or use a vacuum sander.

OH, and you just need a quick pass, no dawdling to sand down to bare wall.

Reactions: Dave Mac
#31 ·
Quoted from a member in a land far, far away :D would you like a link :whistling2: :lol:

"The fakir is just a perforator but one of a kind, not just cos it's fessy, it's not like a porcupine or the tiger a. Because you can adjust the teeth level to suit paper thickness, b. It doesn't just puncture it tears the paper away creating little cups if you like so when you squirt your remover of choice - dif/KK whatever it really does saturate the paper."

"... or the Duplex with the wallpaper stripping blade attached? Cheaper too."

No vids found as yet :thumbsup:

#34 ·
DaArch has cured me of my evil "oil prime over it" ways.

I rent one of these from the evil big box store where I get my Berh crap. It hooks to the shop vac and you can go from wall to ceiling without bending over. Use it on multi room or large jobs otherwise its my Milwaukee sander hooked to the shop vac.

Always used the garden sprayer, but will try the spray rig next time.

Have yet to try the safe and simple.

#35 ·
DaArch has cured me of my evil "oil prime over it" ways.

I rent one of these from the evil big box store where I get my Berh crap. It hooks to the shop vac and you can go from wall to ceiling without bending over. Use it on multi room or large jobs otherwise its my Milwaukee sander hooked to the shop vac.

Always used the garden sprayer, but will try the spray rig next time.

Have yet to try the safe and simple.

Bad man:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.