Skim coat worries! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By T-rum
  • 2 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 10-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View T-rum's Photo Album My Photos
Default Skim coat worries!

Painting ceiling and walls in 15 x 25 foot room. existing texture, was in bad shape, so I skim coated over clean, painted and textured walls and ceiling. Got first coat done and looks good (still plan on doing another skim) But I just realized that I used USG Topping Lite joint compound as that is what I had lying around! I had put 0 thought into what type mud it was untill after 1st coat was finished! How concerned should I be about long term adheasion? I plan to skim coat again with same product, prime with SW Pro block latex, then shoot orange peel texture, PVA coat, then SW pro mar 200.
Again, my main worry is the skim coat failing, falling off. How realistic are these conserns? Pleas tell me It'll be all right and I will just make sure to get All Purpose mud next time!
T-rum is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,052
Thanked 1,002 Times in 635 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Shouldn't be any issues. Lite joint compound is like it sounds lighter, so drywall guys get less fatigue using it all day. Still dries the same.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
T-rum (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #3

Oh, Thank you for re assuring me! It's scary just getting a little bit outside of my expertise and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing! I literally just finished the second skim coat, so I am so glad to here it wasn't all for nothing.
Gonna have a beer now Thank s!
Fman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,440
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Check out the USG TDS for application recommendations. It appears the light weight topping compound is designed for finishing over All Purpose joint compound, [and probably over existing finished surfaces] but does not have the appropriate bonding properties for embedding tape or corner beads in a first coat application (according to the TDS).
Fman and Lightningboy65 like this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
T-rum (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,170
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I always use light weight for skim coating. All purpose is a lot harder to sand. If you want it to be bulletproof, gardz it before texture.
futtyos likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (11-04-2019), T-rum (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 106
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I never liked lightweight for building corners out. I always thought it seemed to dry a little "softer" than all purpose, not quite as durable. I've used it many times as the OP has, never a problem.
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightningboy65 For This Useful Post:
T-rum (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #7

Thanks every one! So it seems that the consensus is that I do not need to worry about this skim coat falling off the walls.
I do understand that there is lees glue in this product than in All Purpose, but I'm not counting on it to hold tape down in joints, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I can definitely see how the corners won't be as durable and that, I can live with.
Woodco, do you thik Gardz is a better product to use over this than Sherwin's Pro Block?
Again, thanks everyone for their re assurance!

Tags
None