Straightedges - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos
Default Straightedges

Just curious what people are using out there? Magnesium, Aluminum, Old wooden table rulers ( with screws popping out the side) Or those bizarre Japanese bendable dealies? Or do you just freehand everything? In commercial magnesium is the way to go lightweight and non marking unlike aluminum. All paperhangers have a straightedge, even if it's a bent curtain rod. So. What you got?
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,223
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I have a standard "Decorator's straight edge". It is aluminum encased in plastic but I never need to use it in such a way that I need worry about it leaving marks and I'm trying to stay away from paper hanging! When I do hang paper I use a plastic straight edge and a funny brushy smoothing tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,864
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I have aluminum ones with blue tape on the edges to prevent marking.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 696
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

Name:  Straight Edge.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  8.5 KB

A friend of mine made mine from galvanized. The one pictured is the prototype. It was a bit bulky at 4'. I have a few different sizes now, the one I use the most is 3'. I put a slight bow in it so that I can press it into the wall. You probably can't tell from the pic, but it has a break on the left edge which keeps it rigid, and gives it enough of an edge to hold a magnetic torpedo level.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarel View Post
Attachment 103845

A friend of mine made mine from galvanized. The one pictured is the prototype. It was a bit bulky at 4'. I have a few different sizes now, the one I use the most is 3'. I put a slight bow in it so that I can press it into the wall. You probably can't tell from the pic, but it has a break on the left edge which keeps it rigid, and gives it enough of an edge to hold a magnetic torpedo level.
I love it. Falls into the whatever works for the least $. I read the thread with everybody's home made tools and gadgets. Awesome stuff. I am always curious to see what people are using to attack different materials. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinyl 54X For This Useful Post:
Gwarel (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,864
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Is everyone using these blade eater knife holster with blade disposal built in? I cant imagine life without them. http://www.paintstoreonline.com/cgi-...41&p_catid=145

They try to call them disposable, but you can break open the blade disposal and empty it and tape it back together.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

I use the 6' magnesium ones.

As for the blade eater, its geared toward right-handed folk, and I'm a lefty, so no go for me.

Edit: I use 2' and 3' stainless steel for busting seams on the wall, the 6' just to table trim. Also have the 3' Advance type with the handle, but it rarely gets used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
I use the 6' magnesium ones.

As for the blade eater, its geared toward right-handed folk, and I'm a lefty, so no go for me.

Edit: I use 2' and 3' stainless steel for busting seams on the wall, the 6' just to table trim. Also have the 3' Advance type with the handle, but it rarely gets used.
Do you always hang material from right to left? I knew a guy that did that. If I had to cut his seams it bummed me out, Not so much vinyl but fabric would stress me out. Stainless steel sounds pretty cool. Blade eaters are great. Sometimes you snap a new blade and the old one fly's off never to be seen again. Never a good thing when you can't find a lost blade.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl 54X View Post
Do you always hang material from right to left? I knew a guy that did that. If I had to cut his seams it bummed me out, Not so much vinyl but fabric would stress me out. Stainless steel sounds pretty cool. Blade eaters are great. Sometimes you snap a new blade and the old one fly's off never to be seen again. Never a good thing when you can't find a lost blade.
I hang left to right. I prefer the right hand piece overlapping the left. Better doublecuts for me that way.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 28
View Whiskey's Photo Album My Photos

I have 3 straight edges out of Magnesium. 6' & 4' & 2'. I prefer hanging left to right.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,670
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

I have two aluminum 6' and 3' and I can both ways.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #12

A lot of people cut them to fit the size they need the most. I got a 7' brass bound aluminum in a trade years ago I made into a 3' & 4'. I knew a guy that cut his flat table boards from 6' down to 5' so they would fit in his truck better. I am not sure I could get used to that. There would be short sheets everywhere.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

I knew a residential guy years ago that cut his boards in half and hinged them. He worked out of a 280z, stood about 6'7", and never used a ladder in an 8' room.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 374
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

I all is like plastic bubble levels in a yard stick form. If two long i have some that i have cut shortened.

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I all is like plastic bubble levels in a yard stick form. If two long i have some that i have cut shortened.
If you're not careful you can cut the end of your thumb off with those.......Don't ask me how I know

Tags
None