under wall paper find - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 1 Post By PRC
  • 1 Post By AngieM
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 4 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82
  • 1 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By slinger58
  • 1 Post By 007 Dave

Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos
Default under wall paper find

Found this today. Also in same house, different room
" Papered by H.L. Corderman
May21, 1953"

3 months before I was born

The other guy Clyde Martin papered my own home in the late 20's
Attached Thumbnails
under wall paper find-img_20170128_085655667.jpg  

Rbriggs82, PRC and Brushman4 like this.
kdpaint (01-28-2017), slinger58 (01-28-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
very senior member

I hope you can magnify it to see it better
Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Time capsules. They're always fun to find. I couldn't make out all the script in the picture, that's a drawing of a man to the left of the message, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 766
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

This is cool. I have seen similar notes on the wall when stripping paper, I assume as a reference for future work. If I did that now, by the time someone saw it, it would probably be too late........
Gwarel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #5
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarel View Post
This is cool. I have seen similar notes on the wall when stripping paper, I assume as a reference for future work. If I did that now, by the time someone saw it, it would probably be too late........
I started doing it when I started hanging ( around 1985) and have had several people find my name and call me.
Gwarel (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 AM   #6
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Time capsules. They're always fun to find. I couldn't make out all the script in the picture, that's a drawing of a man to the left of the message, isn't it?
Actually it is of his "good little girl" helper(age 7 1/2), it may have been an artist hanger, but he was no artist
slinger58 likes this.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,236
Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,495 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Finding stuff like this during construction/destruction can be pretty entertaining.

Many years ago, I was helping a friend tear up some flooring in the house he'd just bought. I guess in the old days they used newspaper under hardwood to reduce squeaking of boards or so I'm told. Found some old papers with sports pages talking about a fight between Rocky Graziano. Ads for brand new cars for a couple thousand bucks.

Alternatively, a few years ago I was working for a guy removing and replacing windows in a house that's a couple of hundred years old. We found that someone had used Metallica thirts for insulation in a couple of the windows we removed. Obviously, the windows being removed weren't original.

Baseball bats buried behind drywall, fishing gaffs, etc. Always interesting.
chrisn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

We put a time capsule in the wall of our house when we renovated. Each of us picked some items to put in it in addition to some dated things like a page from the newspaper.

Last edited by PRC; 01-29-2017 at 11:43 PM..
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 74
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

Found the same thing this week taking down wallpaper!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
chrisn likes this.
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,874
Thanked 9,599 Times in 5,451 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

When I first bought my sixties era home, I found an empty pack of Kools and a depleted tin can of beer in the walls.
slinger58 likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 62
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Many years ago, I was demo-ing an older home, tearing out the old plaster walls and a few sheetrock walls. As I pulled off some sheetrock in one of the bedrooms I saw what appeared to be clothing. Further inspection told me it was a body! Yikes, and double yikes.

Long story short, I called the local police dept. told them my story and then GOT THE HECK OUT OF THERE. After some investigation the police determined that it was a teenage special needs child who lived there with his family some 20 or 30 years in the distant past. He likely died of natural causes and the family "buried" him inside the wall. No one really missed him because he didn't attend school and was rarely ever seen at the home. It was determined that the parents and some of the other children in the family were deceased at the time of the discovery so there was no way to do a thorough investigation. Needless to say, I never went back to complete the work. It indeed creeped me out!!!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,076 Times in 2,891 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Many years ago, I was demo-ing an older home, tearing out the old plaster walls and a few sheetrock walls. As I pulled off some sheetrock in one of the bedrooms I saw what appeared to be clothing. Further inspection told me it was a body! Yikes, and double yikes.

Long story short, I called the local police dept. told them my story and then GOT THE HECK OUT OF THERE. After some investigation the police determined that it was a teenage special needs child who lived there with his family some 20 or 30 years in the distant past. He likely died of natural causes and the family "buried" him inside the wall. No one really missed him because he didn't attend school and was rarely ever seen at the home. It was determined that the parents and some of the other children in the family were deceased at the time of the discovery so there was no way to do a thorough investigation. Needless to say, I never went back to complete the work. It indeed creeped me out!!!
Gymschu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post

Wow, the strangest thing I have ever found was a huge yellow jacket nest. Hardly compares to dead people
slinger58 likes this.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Yep, it's gonna be hard to top finding a dead body.

Well, maybe finding Jimmy Hoffa's body would top it.
chrisn likes this.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 62
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Wow, the strangest thing I have ever found was a huge yellow jacket nest. Hardly compares to dead people
What was really odd was that the police did not seem surprised. I mean, I expected some sort of shock that a body was inside the wall. I always wondered if they suspected something like this could happen with this family.

I've been saving this story so I could finally top Chris.
I know I'll never forget the smell........it could only be the smell of death!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-27-2017), chrisn (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 40
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,810 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Wow. I can't top that. I found broken pieces of bone inside a japanese statue in a front courtyard once. But, not enough to be human bones. Guessing a small dog or something. Not sure.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 12
View PTTom's Photo Album My Photos

i love it when you find little messages under wallpaper and carpets, shows a little history
PTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 362
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Well, I WAS going to tell the story of a couple that went to school with my brother and I that bought the house my grandpa built. It changed owners 2 or 3 times since he sold it in 1984. The new owners found my uncles army dog tags in the walls ( My uncle was in the Army during the Vietnam war and did fight in that war). I don't know how the tags got there. They asked my brother if we knew my uncle because of our last name. My uncle did get his tags back. BUT, after reading Gymschu's story I'm just going to keep my story to myself.
lilpaintchic likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None