W/P instructions... never ending entertainment - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos
Default W/P instructions... never ending entertainment

You'd think they'd quit editing instructions for wallpaper.

Here's from today:

#1 Everybody that inspects every roll before hanging stand on your head.

#2 Crayon? Marker? Really? I'm cautious using an acrylic paint and then opening it immediately and wiping down the face of the paper.
Btw I hate navy blue, black, red and hunter green wallpaper.

#3 I bet requiring liner paper keeps them from having to pay out. Who would give an estimate anticipating liner paper for every job?

#4 What is a solvent based paste? Detergent based? Mineral spirits?

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE!!!

#5 Have you ever wondered why the fire department wasn't able to save that house?
Look in the mirror... did you leave the corners lipped up on your wallpaper job?

J'accuse

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

#2 they should not be selling shi**y paper that needs it in the first place
Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

1) Had a 34 s.r.Brunschwig et Fils last spring in which each 17 dbl bolt HAD to be inspected. I've had shiitty Brewsters where each bolt HAD to be inspected, and then there was the Schumacher many years ago where in the middle of the bolt was a great big red magic marker line where the inspector had flagged a misprint. But we all know the WP industry mantra, "Keep shipping it out 'til it don't come back". That's an actually quote reported at an NGPP convention gleaned from an industry insider.

2) try Gouache, It's very water soluble. Although one LA Hanger had issues with it on an F&B. And the are water soluble crayons. http://www.amazon.com/Caran-DAche-Neocolor-Watersoluble-Crayon/dp/B0014RSVH2. Both of these are in my touch-up tool box. INDESPENSIBLE

3) When the wallpaper manufacture recommends a liner, I refer them to my article: http://billarchibald.com/liner.html
and let them make up their own minds, making sure they understand they have no recourse if they choose not and are dissatisfied with the paper's appearance.

and remember, those instructions are from O&L, which stands for Obstinate and Loathsome.

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 09-07-2013 at 08:51 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
jonnythecutter (10-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
#2 they should not be selling shi**y paper that needs it in the first place
Agreed, this means they know it's defective going out
Old 09-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Not to defend the asswipes in this industry, but how do you blame white edges on defective paper?

Sure, some manufactures print on gray substrate and a few are coloring their bolt ends, but the nature of the product is that the edges are white and if your seams aren't as tight as cheapskate's butt cheeks, some white is going to show. Most of us know how to deal with that and basically sets us apart from the wannabes.

I've been touching up seams for prolly 38 of the 41 years I've been installing.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
1) Had a 34 s.r.Brunschwig et Fils last spring in which each 17 dbl bolt HAD to be inspected. I've had shiitty Brewsters where each bolt HAD to be inspected, and then there was the Schumacher many years ago where in the middle of the bolt was a great big red magic marker line where the inspector had flagged a misprint. But we all know the WP industry mantra, "Keep shipping it out 'til it don't come back". That's an actually quote reported at an NGPP convention gleaned from an industry insider.
I'm stubborn, I'll still try to cut them all out

Quote:

2) try Gouache, It's very water soluble. Although one LA Hanger had issues with it on an F&B. And the are water soluble crayons. Caran D'Ache Neocolor II . Both of these are in my touch-up tool box. INDESPENSIBLE
$80.00? Is that you carrying moneybags in the Monopoly game? With your lasers and fancy crayons and I bet you don't take the bus to work.

Quote:

3) When the wallpaper manufacture recommends a liner, I refer them to my article: http://billarchibald.com/liner.html
and let them make up their own minds, making sure they understand they have no recourse if they choose not and are dissatisfied with the paper's appearance.

and remember, those instructions are from O&L, which stands for Obstinate and Loathsome.
Great article! I may steal that from you sometime. Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Time Traveler

Quote:
Not to defend the asswipes in this industry, but how do you blame white edges on defective paper?
I guess when the manufacturer of a product knows that it offends the sensibilities of the customer, they shouldn't make it available.

There are some selections that you can't make look good no matter how skilled you are.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

$80.00? Is that you carrying moneybags in the Monopoly game? With your lasers and fancy crayons and I bet you don't take the bus to work.
I bought mine maybe seven years ago, and not online. Prolly in the $50 range. Considering what I need to charge an hour, how much time these have saved, how long they last, and the final look of the job, they are well valued. Same with the laser level.

Some tools are needed to perform the job to the best of our ability.

Quote:
Great article! I may steal that from you sometime. Thanks
You are welcome to point folks to it, or to copy and pass it around, the only stipulation I have is that my name remains on it as the author. Essentially, it's copyrighted by me.

hope it helps. AND, BTW, if you need liner paper PLEASE buy from our friends Ed & Greta Hovnanian at www.wallliner.com. Their pricing is VERY competitive and I can have an order on my doorstep in like two days (longer for you in TX) Their Heavy Duty Paper Wallliner - Blankstock is the best I've used. AND you have a choice of three widths. I buy it by the case so I have it in stock when needed.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Time Traveler

Quote:

You are welcome to point folks to it, or to copy and pass it around, the only stipulation I have is that my name remains on it as the author. Essentially, it's copyrighted by me.

hope it helps. AND, BTW, if you need liner paper PLEASE buy from our friends Ed & Greta Hovnanian at www.wallliner.com. Their pricing is VERY competitive and I can have an order on my doorstep in like two days (longer for you in TX) Their Heavy Duty Paper Wallliner - Blankstock is the best I've used. AND you have a choice of three widths. I buy it by the case so I have it in stock when needed.
No, I give credit. I take pictures and photographers are aware of the effort that goes into creating something. It sounds more entertaining to say "steal".

And thanks for the link

And btw, any reaction to the fire hazard of wallpaper?
daArch (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
PinheadsUnite

Quote:

And btw, any reaction to the fire hazard of wallpaper?
I have no experience so I can't react

"Are we having fun yet"

Tags
None