Is Wallpaper coming back? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is Wallpaper coming back?

I am a newly opened Benjamin Moore and Porter retailer and currently do not have any wall coverings. Should I start carrying wall coverings and if so what brand and what supplies are needed to compliment installation
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
I am a newly opened Benjamin Moore and Porter retailer and currently do not have any wall coverings. Should I start carrying wall coverings and if so what brand and what supplies are needed to compliment installation
In many areas of the country wallcovering is back. In other areas it is still in a deep recession. You need to talk to installers, decorators, and homeowners to get a feel if wallpaper is a trending decorative choices.

DO NOT TALK TO THE INDUSTRY REPS - they lie.

In general, wallcovering is trending up in educated, financially vibrant areas. The cash flush youthful homeowners are appreciative of both traditional textiles and new dynamic designs.

Make sure you are in a market that is experiencing an upsurge in the renewed appreciation in wallcovering OR is poised to do so. There is a HUGE cash outlay to invest in books, shelf space, time, and sales staff. Investigate your market. If it is ripe, you will reap rewards. If you mis-read, you will lose big time.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
jascan00 (05-16-2017), Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Time Traveler

Rewards Points: 254
Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

I agree, check out the market. I couldn't figure out where you are.

In San Antonio wallpaper outlets are diminishing. Lowe's has dropped out and a lot of the Sherwin Williams stores.

We do have an outlet store that also sells blinds that's family owned. They seem to serve the few do-it-yourselfers around here. And of course there is online.

Most wallpaper installation is handled by designers and decorators. They have their private sources and cartel here in town. As a result, the materials are expensive and high end.

If you want paperhangers to frequent your store, carry a couple of good wallpaper friendly sealers and 5's of the regular pre-mixed vinyl adhesives. They have a few items that sit well on a small amount of shelf space... seam rollers, seam adhesive, one gallons of Vinyl over vinyl and such. Go look at a wallpaper friendly store and see what they have. Commercial hangers use a lot of paste.

A good adhesive I use on non-woven is Golden Harvest 57. For me, paste the wall wallpapers come up a lot.
jascan00 likes this.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-21-2015 at 01:10 AM..
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on where you are
Gough (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Wallpaper? Never again! I don't care how much people want it, it is way too much of a headache to mess with. Couple that with crappy margins and book expense--- no way am I getting burned on that one again. You can't get enough profit out of it to justify the money and time you have to put into it. When the wallpaper manufacturers started selling direct to consumers at my cost? No f-ing way. Never again.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

In San Antonio wallpaper outlets are diminishing. Lowe's has dropped out and a lot of the Sherwin Williams stores.

We do have an outlet store that also sells blinds that's family owned. They seem to serve the few do-it-yourselfers around here. And of course there is online.

Most wallpaper installation is handled by designers and decorators. They have their private sources and cartel here in town. As a result, the materials are expensive and high end.

If you want paperhangers to frequent your store, carry a couple of good wallpaper friendly sealers and 5's of the regular pre-mixed vinyl adhesives. They have a few items that sit well on a small amount of shelf space... seam rollers, seam adhesive, one gallons of Vinyl over vinyl and such. Go look at a wallpaper friendly store and see what they have. Commercial hangers use a lot of paste.

A good adhesive I use on non-woven is Golden Harvest 57. For me, paste the wall wallpapers come up a lot.
Looking at my options and personal experience I will take your advice and look away. Price for the books is high and Designers/Decorators can get it direct from York or whoever so why bother
The Following User Says Thank You to ElTacoPaco For This Useful Post:
Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I will take your advice an carry those materials. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to ElTacoPaco For This Useful Post:
Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Gardz is the answer to the wallpaper problem.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
mudbone (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
Gardz is the answer to the wallpaper problem.
Not sure what you mean by an answer to wallpaper problem, but it is a good primer for wall paper installation for sure, the only one I use.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

I guess my answer to the original question would be "not if i can stop it, it isn't!".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-28-2015), Wildbill7145 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
I guess my answer to the original question would be "not if i can stop it, it isn't!".
Thanks, we need more positive thinking like yours
PACman (12-23-2015), Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Thanks, we need more positive thinking like yours
You are welcome. Just trying to do my part.

Honestly though, if there was any way i could make any profit on wallpaper or wallpaper supplies i would do it in a heartbeat. There just isn't enough meat on that bone. It's hard to compete with the Home Depot "wall size" debacle of this past summer.

Last edited by PACman; 12-23-2015 at 08:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Since it appears that I am going to have some free time on my hands this morning, instead of my usual behr/Sw rant, I am going to entertain you with one of my favorite tales of wallpaper retail days gone by. And yes, there is a moral to this story!

I had a woman come into my store one day, and she had a wallpaper book name, a page number, and a pattern number written down. She came in to order from us to take advantage of our 35% off all custom ordered wallpaper sale. She asked me to take her dimensions and figure up how many double rolls she would need to do the job. Taking into account that there was an 18" pattern repeat, I figured it up as 4 double rolls. She had a fit! "the woman at the super duper giant box store diy super center said I would only need 3" she said. I explained or tried to explain, that she would be losing a pretty large amount of usable paper on every run because of the long pattern repeat. She claimed that I was just trying to pad the order because of the 35% off sale. So I just ordered her the three double rolls as she wished and thought I was done with it. Her son who was doing the hanging had been a "professional" wallpaper hanger, so I thought ok, maybe I'm wrong or at least he will see that he will be short due to the pattern repeat.

Long story short (too late I know!), three weeks later she comes in complaining because the double rolls I sold her were "cut short" or something. I ordered her another double roll and she at least agreed to paying the sale price on it. I was being as nice as possible trying to help her out, just like I always do. I actually covered the shipping costs for her. Sure enough, when they went to hang it, the colors were off. They had stopped in the middle of the longest wall in the room. It was a different batch, the batch she had bought being no longer available. So I ended up having to spend three days calling the manufacturer trying to get 1 double roll of the same batch. No go. I ended up having to get 2 of the second batch to get a good color match to satisfy the woman. At the stores expense of course.

Then she complained to the district office that I was incompetent, when it was someone else at another company that caused the problem in the first place, and they never knew what a nightmare they had caused by their ignorance.

This kind of thing happens often enough with paint, that there is no way I'm ever going to put myself in that kind of situation again. It's hard enough trying to deal with the false and misleading info that consumers are getting about paint performance as it is. Trying to deal with that kind of thing with wallpaper is just not worth the 10% profit I made on that initial sale, minus the freight charge and the 2 double rolls, and having my name drug through the mud when I was doing the right thing, it isn't anywhere near worth it to me now that I own my own store.

If I had enough legit wallpaper contractors it would be something I would consider, but there just isn't enough around to even think of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-28-2015), Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Up our way we have been asked about installing wall paper 5 times in going on 6 years.

I know a couple of guys close by that just do paper hanging. We usually call one of those guys.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

We used to work with a paperhanger here, she would have us do trim and ceilings, as well as set scaffold. She was one of two 'hangers in the area and I think they've both been retired for 10 years at least. This fall, I had a client ask for the name of a reputable person to hang some paper. I couldn't come up with any names, let alone that of a reputable installer.
Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
We used to work with a paperhanger here, she would have us do trim and ceilings, as well as set scaffold. She was one of two 'hangers in the area and I think they've both been retired for 10 years at least. This fall, I had a client ask for the name of a reputable person to hang some paper. I couldn't come up with any names, let alone that of a reputable installer.
Didn't the last one just retire and move to the shore somewhere up nor'east?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-28-2015), Gough (12-23-2015), Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Didn't the last one just retire and move to the shore somewhere up nor'east?
It was for a one-day job. Maybe he'd come out of retirement if he got paid portal to portal. Let's see...5,600 miles @ $1.75/mile....
Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
very senior member

Quote:
Since it appears that I am going to have some free time on my hands this morning, instead of my usual behr/Sw rant, I am going to entertain you with one of my favorite tales of wallpaper retail days gone by. And yes, there is a moral to this story!

I had a woman come into my store one day, and she had a wallpaper book name, a page number, and a pattern number written down. She came in to order from us to take advantage of our 35% off all custom ordered wallpaper sale. She asked me to take her dimensions and figure up how many double rolls she would need to do the job. Taking into account that there was an 18" pattern repeat, I figured it up as 4 double rolls. She had a fit! "the woman at the super duper giant box store diy super center said I would only need 3" she said. I explained or tried to explain, that she would be losing a pretty large amount of usable paper on every run because of the long pattern repeat. She claimed that I was just trying to pad the order because of the 35% off sale. So I just ordered her the three double rolls as she wished and thought I was done with it. Her son who was doing the hanging had been a "professional" wallpaper hanger, so I thought ok, maybe I'm wrong or at least he will see that he will be short due to the pattern repeat.

Long story short (too late I know!), three weeks later she comes in complaining because the double rolls I sold her were "cut short" or something. I ordered her another double roll and she at least agreed to paying the sale price on it. I was being as nice as possible trying to help her out, just like I always do. I actually covered the shipping costs for her. Sure enough, when they went to hang it, the colors were off. They had stopped in the middle of the longest wall in the room. It was a different batch, the batch she had bought being no longer available. So I ended up having to spend three days calling the manufacturer trying to get 1 double roll of the same batch. No go. I ended up having to get 2 of the second batch to get a good color match to satisfy the woman. At the stores expense of course.

Then she complained to the district office that I was incompetent, when it was someone else at another company that caused the problem in the first place, and they never knew what a nightmare they had caused by their ignorance.

This kind of thing happens often enough with paint, that there is no way I'm ever going to put myself in that kind of situation again. It's hard enough trying to deal with the false and misleading info that consumers are getting about paint performance as it is. Trying to deal with that kind of thing with wallpaper is just not worth the 10% profit I made on that initial sale, minus the freight charge and the 2 double rolls, and having my name drug through the mud when I was doing the right thing, it isn't anywhere near worth it to me now that I own my own store.

If I had enough legit wallpaper contractors it would be something I would consider, but there just isn't enough around to even think of it.
some people you just cannot please, you should know that
ElTacoPaco (12-24-2015), Underdog (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 84
Thanked 5,847 Times in 3,157 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
some people you just cannot please, you should know that
No sh!t. Brevity is not Pac's strong point.

Of course, he probably types faster than us, chrisn.

Merry Christmas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (12-24-2015), DrakeB (12-28-2015), SemiproJohn (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 100
Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,280 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
No sh!t. Brevity is not Pac's strong point.

Of course, he probably types faster than us, chrisn.

Merry Christmas.
I don't think I could ever be accused of being overly succinct. Chrisn is the King of Brevity, while I am usually guilty of having diarrhea of the written word. It's not just PacMan.
chrisn (12-24-2015), DrakeB (12-28-2015), slinger58 (12-23-2015)

Tags
None