Wallpaper Layering Question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Like Tree20Likes

Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68
View nkpaintingvt's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wallpaper Layering Question

I'm using a steamer to remove some wallpaper in a kitchen. The top layer is coming off with ease, though I'm discovering another layer beneath that is far more difficult to remove. I thought it was paint until I found a faint seam, it just doesn't present like any wallpaper I've ever seen. The steamer is doing just about nothing, and when it loosens enough to get a knife beneath it tears up the substrate. Clearly it's bonded very, very well.

Questions:

- Does this strike anyone as normal for a certain kind of wallpaper or wallpaper adhesive?

- It looks like the bottom layer of wallpaper was coated with a mostly clear, greyish product. Was this glue? A primer of sorts?

- Anyone see a risk in painting over the bottom layer of wallpaper? If the steamer doesn't affect it I'm assuming a water based paint won't.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Wallpaper Layering Question-img_20190218_172743.jpg  

Wallpaper Layering Question-img_20190218_172732.jpg  

nkpaintingvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,788
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

This happens quite often, especially if the walls weren't prepped properly before hanging.

Wallpaper steamers to me are a joke unless you like to get your armpits nice and juicy. You may want to try a https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-scoring-tool/ before soaking the wall!
finishesbykevyn and Fman like this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 643
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

It's possible that they wallpapered over bare drywall. If this is the case, your best off priming and painting, or ripping the drywall out. I've painted over lots of wallpaper with great success. Prime with Gardz, skim seems, paint as usual.
Or as brushman said, paper tiger the wall first to allow water/steam to get in behind paper..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Brushman4 likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 192
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Look's like the old paper was sized you are gonna play hell getting that off. I would re-prime, skim seams prime all patches \ seams then paint the finish..
jennifertemple and Brushman4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,380
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Agreed. Its obviously stuck on there pretty damn good, so leave it as a surface. Thats probably why the papered over it in the first place.
chrisn, Gymschu and Brushman4 like this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (02-21-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone, that was helpful. Here's an update:

I steamed off the top layer of paper with no issues, and the bottom layer stayed solid throughout the entire process.

However, when I looped back to sponge the remaining adhesive off of the walls, that's when the bottom layer started blistering. As I made passes with a sponge I watched the blisters form immediately. Holding the steamer on seams did nothing the day before, and now a luke warm water sponge cleaning wreaks havoc.

Makes me wonder if the remaining glue acted as a moisture barrier, and once I removed that with a sponge that allowed moisture to get through.

It seems like I'm now in a place where I must remove the stubborn bottom layer of wallpaper. I did a sample area with the steamer and figured out why it was papered to begin with - bad wall damage.

I know I just threw a lot out there, but does anyone see a viable way forward other than complete removal? I think I'll try a Tiger Tail plus steam, but does anyone have a chemical route they like?

Assuming the removal route, should I prime before my skim coat or just do a throughout cleaning?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Wallpaper Layering Question-img_20190219_150736.jpg  

Wallpaper Layering Question-img_20190219_160127.jpg  

Last edited by nkpaintingvt; 02-19-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 86
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

It doesn't like too bad. I would apply GARDZ to the areas where the paper from the drywall has peeled off down to the brown cardboard like paper. Then, skim those areas ONLY. You want that wall to be flat, no high or low spots that will telegraph through the new paper. You will also want to apply Gardz to what looks like drywall repair areas that may not have been primed originally.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
It doesn't like too bad. I would apply GARDZ to the areas where the paper from the drywall has peeled off down to the brown cardboard like paper. Then, skim those areas ONLY. You want that wall to be flat, no high or low spots that will telegraph through the new paper. You will also want to apply Gardz to what looks like drywall repair areas that may not have been primed originally.
Just to clarify, I'm painting over this not wallpapering.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 480
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkpaintingvt View Post
Just to clarify, I'm painting over this not wallpapering.

I would prime, skim and prime again and paint. You are going to be there for ever if you try to strip it clean and probably damage the drywall in the process, especially if they pasted right to raw drywall.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
I would prime, skim and prime again and paint. You are going to be there for ever if you try to strip it clean and probably damage the drywall in the process, especially if they pasted right to raw drywall.
To be sure, are you recommending I prime, see what bubbles up, take care of those with a skim, and seal those all up with another layer of primer?

Based on what I observed with the last sponge cleaning, there will be blisters everywhere if the primer behaves similarly.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

I think everyones suggesting Gardz the whole thing, take care of bubbles, spot prime those areas. Maybe even give it two coats of gardz. It wouldnt hurt. Then skimcoat the whole thing, sand and gardz that as well. Then paint.
chrisn and jennifertemple like this.
jennifertemple (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I think everyones suggesting Gardz the whole thing, take care of bubbles, spot prime those areas. Maybe even give it two coats of gardz. It wouldnt hurt. Then skimcoat the whole thing, sand and gardz that as well. Then paint.
Would you recommend sponging off all of the previous layer's adhesive residue, or can Gardz bond to that?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,788
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Where the hell is futty, expounding on the virtues of Guardz?
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #14
Kev D.

Quote:
Would you recommend sponging off all of the previous layer's adhesive residue, or can Gardz bond to that?
I would just prime over the glue if the paper is starting to react. Gardz is designed for that. Or coverstain, but way more stinky. Is the place empty? Gutted?
If it is, Im just wondering if putting up new drywall is a viable solution also. Either way, you have your hands full!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #15

One full day of stripping later and the tricky bottom layer is gone. It took quite a bit of scoring, saturating, and steaming, but it all came off with minimal wall damage. I'll still need to do a skim coat but overall I'm in good shape.

I was also surprised to find that Gardz isn't sold anywhere near me. Any other similar water based products from BM or SW?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #16
Kev D.

Quote:
One full day of stripping later and the tricky bottom layer is gone. It took quite a bit of scoring, saturating, and steaming, but it all came off with minimal wall damage. I'll still need to do a skim coat but overall I'm in good shape.

I was also surprised to find that Gardz isn't sold anywhere near me. Any other similar water based products from BM or SW?
Nice one! Home Depot usually stocks Gardz. Don't let them talk you into a regular latex primer. It won't work. My runner up would be coverstain. But make sure to ventilate if you go that route..

jennifertemple likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 778
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
The story of my wallpaper stripping life. Starts out with "What did I get myself into?" Then after hours if not days of persistence, I usually get to the point where it looks like I know what I'm doing......
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #18

Quote:

Gardz is labelled as Allprime at BM. SW and lowes sell a product called RX-35 Pro 999. Its just like gardz. Some people say its not as good, but I havent noticed a difference.

If all else fails, ask your paint store for a 'problem surface sealer.' and make sure it talks about damaged drywall on the label.
Delta Painting likes this.
nkpaintingvt (02-21-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:33 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 6
View Quan's Photo Album My Photos

get a hand masker with masking film run a piece of film at the top of your wall, don't unfold it yet. Now wet the paper , I use a Hudson sprayer once you get about 6 or 8 feet soaked you let the film down it will cling to the wet wall , now just let it sit the moisture has only one place to go. Some times it takes a couple of hours but when its ready it will come off like you just hung it.

be careful if there are wood floors or base,you will have to mask with another piece of plastic so you can keep the wood dry
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 42
View AnthonyFalzon's Photo Album My Photos

Walls definitely need repriming
AnthonyFalzon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None