Why would you do this? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Wallcoverings

Old 11-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Why would you do this?

We have a wall paper removal job we just started, when I was getting stuff out of my truck the guy across the street started talking, he asked what we were doing in the house for work. I said removing wall paper. He said up stairs? I said yes. He then said he ran out of sizing so he used wall paint nd before it dried he stuck the wall paper to it.

Did I mention this is a nightmare to remove? Well it is. 2 RO125's, RO150 all going and this little 10x12 room took us 6 hours to strip 2 1/2 walls. We are using 40 grit and tried 24 grit. Getting the face off is pretty easy, getting the backing off is not so good.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Coverstain, spackle the seams, and paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
A&S Painting (11-14-2014), ewingpainting.net (11-15-2014), journeymanPainter (11-14-2014), SemiproJohn (11-14-2014), slinger58 (11-14-2014), straight_lines (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

I wish the HO was up for that. We offered while doing the walk through and a firm no I want it off was given. Good thing it's t&m.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,202
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
We have a wall paper removal job we just started, when I was getting stuff out of my truck the guy across the street started talking, he asked what we were doing in the house for work. I said removing wall paper. He said up stairs? I said yes. He then said he ran out of sizing so he used wall paint nd before it dried he stuck the wall paper to it.

Did I mention this is a nightmare to remove? Well it is. 2 RO125's, RO150 all going and this little 10x12 room took us 6 hours to strip 2 1/2 walls. We are using 40 grit and tried 24 grit. Getting the face off is pretty easy, getting the backing off is not so good.
Hope he's a good and pious man. If not, his Hell will consist of being sentenced to remove that paper for all eternity.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
chrisn (11-14-2014), daArch (11-14-2014), Wildbill7145 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

CD, are you working halfway between Providence and Boston? Did the guy look a little like the Unabomber??? Just wondering.

Seriously, there are way too many unknowns while stripping paper. We break out that section in our proposals and give an ESTIMATED cost of WC removal/wall prep with language about possible additional labor and material costs.
daArch (11-14-2014), slinger58 (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,828 Times in 3,141 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
CD, are you working halfway between Providence and Boston? Did the guy look a little like the Unabomber??? Just wondering.

Seriously, there are way too many unknowns while stripping paper. We break out that section in our proposals and give an ESTIMATED cost of WC removal/wall prep with language about possible additional labor and material costs.
Ain't it so. Last year we painted the paper in a master bath because all efforts to strip the paper resulted in tearing off the face-paper of the GWB. (BTW, that's my line in the sand; if you're gonna tear the face-paper all to pieces, then what's the point of stripping?)

This past week we were back at the same house to paint the upstairs portion that included another bathroom that was papered at the same time by the same hanger (when the house was built). The HO assumed we would paint this paper also, but after pulling at the loose corners I discovered this paper was not adhered well enough to paint. We had it stripped clean in about an hour.

Same house, same hanger both rooms papered when the house was built. So yeah, you never know how it's gonna be until you get into it.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
Damon T (11-15-2014), straight_lines (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 292
Thanked 2,714 Times in 1,012 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

when it comes to wallpaper removal
T & M only
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
RH (11-14-2014), Wildbill7145 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

I've got 4 bedrooms and a hallway to do starting Monday. Paper was hung in the early 80's, ought to be a good time.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I've heard of hacks who have hung on wet paint. All bets are off as to the ability to strip. If it's T&M, and the HO is guilty of that abortion, make him pay dearly

(sometime we ARE allowed to judge and be the instrument of vengeance)

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-14-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #10
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post

Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I have seen some HO's do some really hack work before, but this is the first time I have run into or heard of this. Yeah like I said not much fun. Figures I just told a customer I need a good challenge, well I guess I found one lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
chrisn (11-15-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

He ran out of sizing? What does that have to do with it? Maybe he ran out of paste?? Sizing is a primer...right?

premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierpainter View Post
He ran out of sizing? What does that have to do with it? Maybe he ran out of paste?? Sizing is a primer...right?
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.painttalk.com/f8/sizer-vs-primer-29844/
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierpainter View Post
Typically when a hanger uses the sizing method of hanging wall coverings the apply the ADHESIVE (for those of you who freak put about the word glue), let it set up (not dry) then apply another coat of glue. I've found that it's more helpful in smaller areas where it's difficult to keep the coverings onto the substrate.

Full-time hangers feel free to correct me if/where I'm wrong
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #15
very senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
Typically when a hanger uses the sizing method of hanging wall coverings the apply the ADHESIVE (for those of you who freak put about the word glue), let it set up (not dry) then apply another coat of glue. I've found that it's more helpful in smaller areas where it's difficult to keep the coverings onto the substrate.

Full-time hangers feel free to correct me if/where I'm wrong
no, NOT glue

Tags
None