Is this a good deal? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By slinger58
  • 1 Post By Tonyg
  • 1 Post By lapainter
  • 2 Post By Tonyg
  • 1 Post By lapainter

Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View lapainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is this a good deal?

Hi all, I'm looking at a pressure wash rig that a old friend owns. A little background, we own a small drywall and painting company. We can't grow mainly because of labor issues. I won't go in depth on that just can't find any help that I can send into someone's house and trust. Anyway my friend and I started talking and he told me I'd throw away my other tools once I got the washing business going. So, I'm researching everything I can find on the business. ( I've washed with small rigs before but nothing large scale.) His rig consist of a 2012 dodge 1 ton diesel with 112,00 miles. 2 Mi-T- I 5000 psi 5 gpm washers, 2 flat surface cleaners a 600 gal water tank and bunch of chemicals. The truck has 2 electric hose reels with 300' each and a electric hose pipe reel with 200 ft water supply hose. The washers have 125 and 150 hours on them. Just looking for opinions on this rig and the business in general. He wants $35,000. No existing contracts, he quit the business for other business interests. Thanks for any insight
lapainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

That Ram alone is worth just about what he is asking. To me the price sounds close after looking up some of these and guessing the condition.

I'm just getting into washing myself, hope to make it full time vs painting this year. We have 3 rigs I plan on working.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sure others with much more experience will chime in soon.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapainter View Post
Hi all, I'm looking at a pressure wash rig that a old friend owns. A little background, we own a small drywall and painting company. We can't grow mainly because of labor issues. I won't go in depth on that just can't find any help that I can send into someone's house and trust. Anyway my friend and I started talking and he told me I'd throw away my other tools once I got the washing business going. So, I'm researching everything I can find on the business. ( I've washed with small rigs before but nothing large scale.) His rig consist of a 2012 dodge 1 ton diesel with 112,00 miles. 2 Mi-T- I 5000 psi 5 gpm washers, 2 flat surface cleaners a 600 gal water tank and bunch of chemicals. The truck has 2 electric hose reels with 300' each and a electric hose pipe reel with 200 ft water supply hose. The washers have 125 and 150 hours on them. Just looking for opinions on this rig and the business in general. He wants $35,000. No existing contracts, he quit the business for other business interests. Thanks for any insight
There are a few members of this forum who have made similar statements.
PressurePros and DaveMac have posted about getting out of the coatings business altogether and doing pressure cleaning only. And I can see that with a proper setup, it is more profitable than painting. The one thing I see that will be different is you'll have to sell a lot more PC jobs than you would painting jobs to stay busy.
cdpainting likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

So, it sounds as though everything is on the truck? Do you not have a truck/van of your own?

You could put together a brand new trailer, 5.6-8gpm pump with a burner, all the hoses and fixins for 10-12k
cdpainting likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
King Dude

Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,864 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
There are a few members of this forum who have made similar statements.
PressurePros and DaveMac have posted about getting out of the coatings business altogether and doing pressure cleaning only. And I can see that with a proper setup, it is more profitable than painting. The one thing I see that will be different is you'll have to sell a lot more PC jobs than you would painting jobs to stay busy.
That's what always held me back from pursuing washing full time. The pipeline of leads you'd need to stay busy and the leg work for all those leads is daunting.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

All great input... thanks for that. We work out of trucks but none are wrapped or lettered as we mainly sub for gc's. I did think about assembling a trailer for cheaper but think I would skimp on things trying to save money and then not push the business as hard. The new truck is wrapped with logo and lettering. I guess I feel like it would be jumping in with both feet and it would force me to aggressively market which has always been my weak point. In my research I've found only a small number of companies in a 100 mile radius with setups similar to this capable of this sort of production. BUT, I still can't help but think of the volume of work needed to keep busy. My buddy keeps telling me that volume won't be a problem if I push it but even though he's my buddy he is still trying to SELL the rig. Anyway, I don't mean to ramble I'm just trying to look at all the possibilities both negative and positive. Thanks all.
slinger58 likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Then to me it boils down to the truck. If you really need another truck and you have 35k laying around then it sounds like a decent deal.

The margins are better in the PW business and once you establish a repeat clientele and referral stream you can do well. For me commercial was low margin, out before dawn, year round work regardless of weather but it provided a small fixed income. I only had about 10-12 restaurants that I would schedule them the same week every month or quarter. Residential repaints the rest of the time. Residential PW is much more seasonal but much higher returns. Homeowners were much more loyal than managers or regional directors that are interchangeable and somewhat disposable.

I would seriously recommend that you consider setting up your own brand new rig for 1/3 of the cost and start supplementing your current revenues and sales. I guarantee you will be happier with a rig and a truck that you put together and you can easily wrap an enclosed trailer or sign an open one and you can always take the other 20k to expand, hire a couple of fireman to work the PW, or maybe just pay your mortgage.

Call Bob at PressureTek and have a conversation about what it would take. I think you would be surprised. For me diversification was key (painting/decks/commercial PW/residential PW). I just found that I enjoy painting much more.
stelzerpaintinginc. and PRC like this.

Last edited by Tonyg; 12-04-2016 at 10:39 PM..
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Troy

Rewards Points: 144
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,123 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

You'd have to have quite a bit of capital to start with such an extravagant rig. Make sure you're setting aside enough $ for marketing. For the past few years, I've been slowly transitioning more from painting to washing, and now to roof cleaning. Up until this last setup that I bought pre-assembled, I built everything myself. Made a ton of mistakes. Learned from it. At least if/when something breaks down in the field, I'll have a good chance to be able to fix it.

You might consider starting with a much more modest setup. You may find an open trailer is a better fit for you, or you might end up wishing you had an enclosed rig. Parking and storage will play a factor as well in your decision.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #10

I appreciate the comments, gives me great outside views on it. I have a way of getting tunnel vision when it comes to these type things. I think I'm gonna consider putting together my own rig. This way I won't be in quite so deep and can grow it slower without the pressure of needing as much lead generation. Thanks
slinger58 likes this.

Tags
None