I finally did it!!!!!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 1,051
Rewards Points: 530
Thanks: 477
Thanked 304 Times in 198 Posts
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default I finally did it!!!!!!

After talking about it for what... 3 years now. I finally set up downstreaming.

Got a nice 4gpm machine, ordered all the hook ups from Pressure Tek, ordered simple cherry from pressure tek. Had my best bud, who is quite technical, help me set it all up and test it out.

Well I sure love washing a house from NOT ON A LADDER!

So far though, I would say that I need to figure out the chemical situation.

I used 30 seconds, which is an eco friendly mildew killer + Simple Cherry. I think I over diluted it: 5 gallon bucket with half a container of 30 seconds- which says on the container mix 1:1 ratio. I did more like .25:1 (too much water).

The reason is I was scared to use any bleach around garden areas. Anyway, it did a great job of removing dirt & basic mildew... there were some areas of EXTREME algae etc and I could not get those properly cleaned with this set up.

Moving forward, can anyone suggest some suitable, plant friendly, chemical mixtures and the dosage into a 5 gallon pale?

Keep in mind, some of these products are not available in CANADUH!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,253
Rewards Points: 14
Thanks: 1,875
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Isn't it awesome! I used back pack sprayers for years to apply chems. The downstream is SO much faster and easier.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 1,051
Rewards Points: 530
Thanks: 477
Thanked 304 Times in 198 Posts
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

any suggestions on chemical concoctions of things that will both kill mildew and not kill plants?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Flog a Mocker
 
Tonyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,493
Rewards Points: 116
Thanks: 522
Thanked 641 Times in 357 Posts
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar Painting View Post
any suggestions on chemical concoctions of things that will both kill mildew and not kill plants?
Wet plants before apply chems, rinse plants after chems, and you will be fine with bleach and other harsher products. At 4gpm you are still rinsing with significant enough water to flood the area also so damage from chems is not as much as a concern as you might think. The sun will be your biggest enemy with chlorine/soap drying on foilage and windows - rinse rinse rinse
__________________
"Drudgery is honorable"
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,253
Rewards Points: 14
Thanks: 1,875
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I've never had a problem using just bleach.
I use a weak mix and wet the plants with water first, then rinse after. No problems.
Sometimes I will have someone mist the plants with water the whole time I'm applying the bleach if there is heavy mildew and I need a stronger mix.
I think the trick is to only use as strong a mix as necessary.
Can't remember exactly what mix my DSI gives, 14 to 1 I think. Not very strong but it generally gets the job done.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,174
Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanks: 5,206
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default

can you post a link?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
straight_lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wilmington, N.C.
Posts: 7,822
Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanks: 5,686
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
Wet plants before apply chems, rinse plants after chems, and you will be fine with bleach and other harsher products. At 4gpm you are still rinsing with significant enough water to flood the area also so damage from chems is not as much as a concern as you might think. The sun will be your biggest enemy with chlorine/soap drying on foilage and windows - rinse rinse rinse
Its the biggest problem you have when working by yourself.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
 
ReNt A PaInTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TeXaS, UnItEd StAtEs
Posts: 4,508
Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Can a regular pressure washer be converted to a downstream set up??
__________________
RENT A PAINTER -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
straight_lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wilmington, N.C.
Posts: 7,822
Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanks: 5,686
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines
Default

Yes Egar they are inexpensive but good gpm pump at least 4 and the right tip is what is needed to make this efficient.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Flog a Mocker
 
Tonyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,493
Rewards Points: 116
Thanks: 522
Thanked 641 Times in 357 Posts
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR View Post
Can a regular pressure washer be converted to a downstream set up??
We are talking about regular pressure washers - just inserting this http://pressuretek.com/gphidrinkit.html into the hose after the pump.
__________________
"Drudgery is honorable"
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,253
Rewards Points: 14
Thanks: 1,875
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg

We are talking about regular pressure washers - just inserting this http://pressuretek.com/gphidrinkit.html into the hose after the pump.
That's similar to what I use. Yea, I think you can put one on just about any washer. They can be finnikey about getting air bubbles in them and not working right. Helps to have one rated to the gpm of your machine.
This is stupid but they ONLY work with the chemical tips. Took me a while to figure that out. Should have read the directions better. Lol
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Flog a Mocker
 
Tonyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,493
Rewards Points: 116
Thanks: 522
Thanked 641 Times in 357 Posts
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmays1976 View Post
That's similar to what I use. Yea, I think you can put one on just about any washer. They can be finnikey about getting air bubbles in them and not working right. Helps to have one rated to the gpm of your machine.
This is stupid but they ONLY work with the chemical tips. Took me a while to figure that out. Should have read the directions better. Lol
Bob put some good info here - http://pressuretek.com/dointekar.html

The injectors are based on the Venturi effect I believe and will draw in a chemical/fluid as the pressure drops when running through the injector. At higher pressure, above 200psi (?) the injector flow is constricted and the ball seals the injector.
__________________
"Drudgery is honorable"
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Curb appeal specialist
 
1camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Va Beach, Va
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 50
Thanked 92 Times in 59 Posts
View 1camper's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I use a bleach and degreaser solution and always leave hanging baskets hanging. I think wetting down first is counter productive. If you read the instructions on any roundup type weed killer they suggest applying when weeds are already wet. The reasoning being the plants are already taking in the water and will take in the poison. If hit with the poison dry, they just shut down taking in water. So I will rinse after if there is a concern. I use 1 container of bleach, 1 pint of degreaser to fill 2.5 gallon can for siding cleaning.
1camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ultimate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 1,793
Rewards Points: 1,326
Thanks: 2,324
Thanked 963 Times in 597 Posts
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camper View Post
I use a bleach and degreaser solution and always leave hanging baskets hanging. I think wetting down first is counter productive. If you read the instructions on any roundup type weed killer they suggest applying when weeds are already wet. The reasoning being the plants are already taking in the water and will take in the poison. If hit with the poison dry, they just shut down taking in water. So I will rinse after if there is a concern. I use 1 container of bleach, 1 pint of degreaser to fill 2.5 gallon can for siding cleaning.
Interesting info. Something to look into.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Grants Painting
 
GrantsPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 224
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 109
Thanked 77 Times in 54 Posts
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Ummm. I think were missing a certain chemical guru. PressurePro, where art thou.
__________________
The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. -Ben Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
View bmoorecl's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar Painting View Post
After talking about it for what... 3 years now. I finally set up downstreaming.

Got a nice 4gpm machine, ordered all the hook ups from Pressure Tek, ordered simple cherry from pressure tek. Had my best bud, who is quite technical, help me set it all up and test it out.

Well I sure love washing a house from NOT ON A LADDER!

So far though, I would say that I need to figure out the chemical situation.

I used 30 seconds, which is an eco friendly mildew killer + Simple Cherry. I think I over diluted it: 5 gallon bucket with half a container of 30 seconds- which says on the container mix 1:1 ratio. I did more like .25:1 (too much water).

The reason is I was scared to use any bleach around garden areas. Anyway, it did a great job of removing dirt & basic mildew... there were some areas of EXTREME algae etc and I could not get those properly cleaned with this set up.

Moving forward, can anyone suggest some suitable, plant friendly, chemical mixtures and the dosage into a 5 gallon pale?

Keep in mind, some of these products are not available in CANADUH!
Some time you have to,keep all your flowers or greeny around your work area wet,just like you over diluted you solution.cover some with a tarf.
bmoorecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally! Wolfgang Off Topic (Non Trade) 19 07-08-2012 05:20 AM
Finally! One Coat Coverage General Painting Discussion 16 09-23-2011 03:04 PM
Finally! straight_lines Technology (websites, computers, etc..) 20 08-05-2011 11:05 AM
Finally ran into one... Colorful Cans General Painting Discussion 8 03-20-2010 11:28 PM
New one finally up daArch Technology (websites, computers, etc..) 15 03-10-2010 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com