Oxalic Acid Question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slinger58

Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,821 Times in 3,134 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default Oxalic Acid Question

As much as I don't want to, I going to stain a deck next week. As part of the prep, I'm going to use some F-8 to clean/brighten the wood. My question is is the oxalic acid damaging to other surfaces such as plants, painted surfaces, unpainted metal, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12
Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,917 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

It can etch metal, but overall it's pretty easy to work with. I've used it a lot, and never seen any damage to plants or painted surfaces provided standard precautions are taken. Pre rinsing, etc..

Troy probably has a better answer.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
It can etch metal, but overall it's pretty easy to work with. I've used it a lot, and never seen any damage to plants or painted surfaces provided standard precautions are taken. Pre rinsing, etc..

Troy probably has a better answer.

Thanks J. From what I gleaned in my brief google search, it's derived from plants and has a wide variety of uses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

good to remove rust also, just keep every thing wet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

It occurred to me that maybe I've become too dependent on the internet for answers to questions like I posed in this thread. So this morning I mixed up a one gallon batch of F-8 and put some on some painted surfaces. Seemingly no effect .
Then I took a chrome plated wrench and submerged it about halfway up in the oxalic mix for 15 minutes. Again, no effect.

And as Troy suggested in another thread, I applied it direct instead of downstreaming. It does work better that way.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

So I'm prepping another deck for stain. PT pine about 12 months old, never had any coating on it. I applied the oxalic direct with pump up sprayer. Mixed 4 oz. F-8 per gallon of water and tried to give it 5-10 minutes dwell time. I say tried because direct sun and 80+ degrees dries it pretty quick. Then pressure wash with soft wash tip.

As the pic shows, the results are kind of spotty. The gray of the weathering is gone, but a lot of areas are still showing silver after it dries. Any ideas about why it's less effective in some places than others and what can be done to correct this?

Does Oxalic have short shelf life (it's probably 2 year old stuff)?

Now if I can get this pic to post.

Tags
None