Pressure washing black soffits - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By stelzerpaintinginc.
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 382
Thanked 369 Times in 217 Posts
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pressure washing black soffits

I have a customer that has black metal soffits, I have washed them twice but when they dry they still have a film of dirt on them. I tried once with a all purpose pressure washer cleaner from home depot and once with just water.

Is there a trick to get these clean? Special cleaner?
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 346
Rewards Points: 666
Thanks: 83
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
I have a customer that has black metal soffits, I have washed them twice but when they dry they still have a film of dirt on them. I tried once with a all purpose pressure washer cleaner from home depot and once with just water.

Is there a trick to get these clean? Special cleaner?
Is it dirt or mildew?

I've never seen black soffits, so having trouble picturing it, however, white gutters can stain permanently sometimes.

Mildew needs to be treated differently than dirt.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 382
Thanked 369 Times in 217 Posts
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It's just dirt. Seems like the water is pulling the bust out from inside the soffit and drying with a haze.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 382
Thanked 369 Times in 217 Posts
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Looks like the soffit in this picture.
Attached Images
 
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 346
Rewards Points: 666
Thanks: 83
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
Looks like the soffit in this picture.
That's all you can do, the customer will hopefully understand. Unless you want to hand clean with a sponge or something.
Probably best to minimize water into the soffit vents.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 382
Thanked 369 Times in 217 Posts
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
Looks like the soffit in this picture.
That's all you can do, the customer will hopefully understand. Unless you want to hand clean with a sponge or something.
Probably best to minimize water into the soffit vents.
Thank you for the info. That's what i figured. I told the customer it will take a few washes to get clean.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,908
Rewards Points: 144
Thanks: 2,043
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,123 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Make your last spray pass with the pressure washer at an extreme angle, (150-175)
and keep that angle consistent throughout the entire soffit, and stay 2-3 times as far away from the surface as you normally would when washing. Just before the water dries, go over it with an 18" swiffer sweeper and clean microfiber cloth to wipe any residual drips from weep holes. It adds maybe 3-5 minutes of total time per side at most. Much faster than repeated washings.
Fman and Holland like this.
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 382
Thanked 369 Times in 217 Posts
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Make your last spray pass with the pressure washer at an extreme angle, (150-175)
and keep that angle consistent throughout the entire soffit, and stay 2-3 times as far away from the surface as you normally would when washing. Just before the water dries, go over it with an 18" swiffer sweeper and clean microfiber cloth to wipe any residual drips from weep holes. It adds maybe 3-5 minutes of total time per side at most. Much faster than repeated washings.
Thank you, I never thought of using a Swaffer sweeper. I'll give that try
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
Member
 
APPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
View APPNW's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Had a job similar to this problem. No matter how much water i tossed up at the soffits, it simply loosened more dirt to rain back down. We had to get 2 buckets and some sponges. Wipe with cleaner sponge, wipe with water sponge. Rinse, repeat every 3 or 4 feet.
APPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 12
Thanks: 5
Thanked 103 Times in 87 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Just like a black car...shows all the dirt. That same film is present on every other job, you just don't notice it on a lighter color. The black background makes it stick out. Stelzer has the right idea, a microfiber mop may work just as well. That Swifter stuff gets expensive.
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,861
Rewards Points: 954
Thanks: 3,894
Thanked 4,486 Times in 2,470 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
That Swifter stuff gets expensive.

You think that's expensive, try the Enjo cleaning system stuff. It's the new Tupperware party type thing. Few years ago my wife paid $40 for a dish scrub sponge. She showed me the catalogue and I think a dust mop was $240! Quite the fad up here at this point though.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 12
Thanks: 5
Thanked 103 Times in 87 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
You think that's expensive, try the Enjo cleaning system stuff. It's the new Tupperware party type thing. Few years ago my wife paid $40 for a dish scrub sponge. She showed me the catalogue and I think a dust mop was $240! Quite the fad up here at this point though.
Must be part of the "green clean" fad that has swept across the land as of late.

I think they call it green because it lines the companies pockets that produce such products with plenty of the green!
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,861
Rewards Points: 954
Thanks: 3,894
Thanked 4,486 Times in 2,470 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Must be part of the "green clean" fad that has swept across the land as of late.

I think they call it green because it lines the companies pockets that produce such products with plenty of the green!

Yup. She wasn't happy when she found the dogs had grabbed the thing and were tearing it apart on the back deck. Dish scrubbers must be pretty yummy. For dogs.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com