The right procedure / technique - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By cardgunner
  • 2 Post By Holland
  • 2 Post By Jmayspaint
  • 1 Post By cardgunner

Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 362
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default The right procedure / technique

I'm new to pressure washing. Other then my own personnel stuff and a few exteriors. I just bought a starter Simpson 3600/2.5 with a Honda engine and aluminum frame. What is the proper way to introduce chemicals? Meaning I had 700+ of fence to do this weekend. So I introduced the chemicals thru the provided siphon tube. But it seemed to be too much, and a lot of waste. So instead I wet the fence. Sprayed on the chemicals with a pump sprayer. And came back 10 to 15 minutes later and rinsed it off and did most of my power washer. Looking back should I have power washed the fence, sprayed the chemicals, then just a rinsed it? Or is the best way to do what I first did, siphon the chemicals and pressure wash. Then do I have to turn off the chemical stream and just rinse? Just trying to find the best way or the right way to do this.
Holland likes this.
cardgunner is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 666
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Congrats on new PW! Nice unit!!

What Chems are you spraying? What are you trying to accomplish (mildew, brighten the wood, or just clean before re-staining, etc...)?

You need a "soap tip" on the wand, to spray chems. Sounds like you did it correctly. A soap tip will lower the pressure that a PW sprays at, and mixes the chems to a good ration in my experience. A lot less work than a pump sprayer, but either will work.

Since you said you are new to Pressure Washing, here are a few general tips/reminders:

-Always run water before and after you turn it on/off. Never run it dry!

-Also a good idea to use Pump Saver if it is going to sit for any amount if time:
https://www.amazon.com/pump-saver/s?k=pump+saver

-Common Sense - never touch the water, or get your hand anywhere near the high pressure water. Can be very serious, and potentially fatal, if water gets under your skin.

-Gloves, glasses, and ear protection is recommended.
CApainter and Fman like this.

Last edited by Holland; 04-01-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:
cardgunner (04-02-2019), Jmayspaint (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

The way you did it was fine, but more labor intensive.
Chemical inductors are a labor saving device. You are going to use more product with them, but the old adage that ďmaterials are cheaper than laborĒ comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cardgunner and detailssls like this.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

You need something called a downstream injector to spray the chems with your pressure washer. Itís also wise to carry a back up.

Hereís a link to a great article about them: https://pressuretek.com/downstream-article

PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
cardgunner (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
You need something called a downstream injector to spray the chems with your pressure washer. Itís also wise to carry a back up.

Hereís a link to a great article about them: https://pressuretek.com/downstream-article
Thanks. I have a downstream injector on the washer.

From the article you apply at 40 and rinse at 10 or 25? What if 10 or 25 are too harsh? I think I understand that with those lower angles tips comes higher pressure and lower gpm. The lower gpm will not draw the chemicals out.

So my procedure could have been wet at 25 then apply with 40 or i have a soap tip then rinse(clean) with the 25 or 10(I have a 15)? By doing this I will use more chemicals but I don't have to stop, turn off the machine, spray on the chemicals?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Painting View Post
Congrats on new PW! Nice unit!!

What Chems are you spraying? What are you trying to accomplish (mildew, brighten the wood, or just clean before re-staining, etc...)?
I used for most of the fence the MI-T-M Deck and House wash.

Not entirely happy with it but I haven't used much else to compare it to. Most of the fence was already latex stained and I was getting the algae and moss off so I can restain it. There was section that hadn't been stained yet.

I wish I had the money to buy the upgraded version that powers down when you are not spraying. Turning it off and starting back up between washing and soaping got old quickly.
Holland likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 666
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
I used for most of the fence the MI-T-M Deck and House wash.

Not entirely happy with it but I haven't used much else to compare it to. Most of the fence was already latex stained and I was getting the algae and moss off so I can restain it. There was section that hadn't been stained yet.

I wish I had the money to buy the upgraded version that powers down when you are not spraying. Turning it off and starting back up between washing and soaping got old quickly.
I would be interested in hearing what others use, but for Algae and Mildew it is my understanding that Bleach is one of the few chemicals that "kills" mold/algae/mildew spore by lowering the Alkalinity to create a hostile environment. This is important, because if the spore are not actually eradicated, they will come back.

A large splash of Jomax can be added directly to a gallon of bleach (about a cup or so, until the gallon is almost full). Jomax is considered a bleach "additive" (an 'activator', a surfactant, and a cleaner) that supposedly neutralizes alkalinity levels to make safe for surrounding plant life.

After wetting wood and surrounding vegetation (or save this for a rainy day) just attach soap tip and go. By the time you get to the end of your fence, you should be able to start rinsing the beginning parts of the fence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Holland; 04-02-2019 at 11:15 PM..
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
Thanks. I have a downstream injector on the washer.

Just make sure that the built-in downstream injector on your pressure washer isnít pulling the chems through your pump.

PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
cardgunner (04-03-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 30
View Optimal1's Photo Album My Photos

For houses and deck I'm running straight 4 gallons of chlorine at 10% with 4 oz of eliminator for houses. Same solution for deck fences but followed up by oxford 8 to neutralize the bleach and brighten. I bought the jrod from pressure tek. We downstream using a 5gpm washer. At best you need a A frame ladder for a house and results are fantastic.
Optimal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,300
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

This thread is a great reminder of the techniques Ken from Pressure Pros used to offer about pressure washing.

I was always inefficient with pressure washing. I went through too much chemical. I believe I also siphoned chemicals straight through the pump. I climbed around a building way more than I had to not knowing about wands and certain longer range tip use.

I just viewed a video about downstream washing and it seemed so practical. Oh how ignorant I was. I kind of wish I was doing more pressure washing now that I know better.

I would suggest looking into the downstream dynamics that address problems with back pressure and elevated work that will compromise chemical flow. I wasn't even aware of some of the dual tips. Pressure washing is really its own thing with some interesting options.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None