Washer temp settings. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Repaint Florida
  • 1 Post By Tonyg

Old 11-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Washer temp settings.

How many have a hot/ steam power washer? I've been nerding out on the forums reading older threads about soft washing/cleaning and so on but none say if they use a hot washer. I'm trying to see what the temp difference for hardwoods, softwoods, vinyl siding/products.

We now have 3 washers that can downstream 2 cold, 1 hot and I am already lining up jobs. I'm hoping all 3 are going non stop all summer. Pricing is a bit tricky for me right now. Trying to figure that one out (houses/deck I know). I do want to do like concrete pads, decks, houses, maybe brick buildings (not many here).

I'm also looking at enclosed trailers and one of those concrete scrubbers, like this.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...800/p1558.html
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 264
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,008 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
How many have a hot/ steam power washer? I've been nerding out on the forums reading older threads about soft washing/cleaning and so on but none say if they use a hot washer. I'm trying to see what the temp difference for hardwoods, softwoods, vinyl siding/products.

We now have 3 washers that can downstream 2 cold, 1 hot and I am already lining up jobs. I'm hoping all 3 are going non stop all summer. Pricing is a bit tricky for me right now. Trying to figure that one out (houses/deck I know). I do want to do like concrete pads, decks, houses, maybe brick buildings (not many here).

I'm also looking at enclosed trailers and one of those concrete scrubbers, like this.

Dave we've had a hot water PW for years, really don't use it much any more as cabinet painting has taken over

can't help you with temp on woods / vinyl as Florida is stucco crazy
but i can tell you to check out storefronts / sidewalks / gas

we we're doing dunkin donuts / BP gas stations / restaurants

we would clean sidewalks @ storefronts the not water is great for bubble gum removal
gas pumps area were great too

just check to see if your required to recover water

charge more the first time then have them sign a contract for monthly service

also check into a Rotating Turbo Nozzle if you don't have 1
cdpainting likes this.
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How many have a hot/ steam power washer?

Unlike many I believe warm water helps in the cleaning. I use it every time, summer or winter. For house washing its set at 120 degrees. If I need it hot for driveway or commercial I set it at 160 degrees. For gum or heavy grease I go to 180 degrees. I think most go up to 210 degrees but I would never go that high. I found that the higher the temp the faster the o-rings and seals disintegrate, not to mention the more fuel it uses. At 120 degrees it uses very little diesel and won't damage anything - siding, vinyl windows, plants, paint, etc. Run it too hot and you can damage/warp siding and you will be repainting some areas.

For house washing pricing I use the tiered packages with cold water as the lowest/cheapest and warm water wash as a next level. It's a way to add value and thus an increased price. Not everyone can offer heated water so it also can set your service over the competition.

I use an enclosed trailer but keep in mind you will need to have plenty of air flow for the exhaust. I get plenty with mine but having it vented through the roof is usually recommended.
ridesarize (12-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Flog a Mocker

View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Oh, and just an fyi

I have that exact surface cleaner. I love it and have had it for about ten years. When the bearings wore out I was able to call the manufacturer and send them the part to have them rebuild it.

That said, mine is a 5.6gpm pump and if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a smaller one. They say its rated for 4gpm but a 5.6 takes longer and doesn't clean as good. Well, actually, if I did it over again I would buy an 8gpm without a doubt.
cdpainting likes this.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Troy

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,119 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Pressure Washer Surface Cleaner

Quote:

Tonyg already gave some great advice about temps for different surfaces so I won't add anything to that, other than to say there aren't many situations where I'd use heat on decks or fences.

As far as surface cleaners, a good rule of thumb is you need 1 GPM for every 4" of surface cleaner. Everyone thinks a bigger one will clean faster. Not true at all. You'll find yourself walking very slowly, leaving lines, and having to redo a lot of areas. If you have the GPM and the $, I'd get the Whisper Wash Classic, 19" that comes with the 2 nozzle bar. If your washer is less than 4 GPM, get the Whisper Wash 16" Ultra Clean. Russ from Southside Equipment always has good prices on these, and so do Bill & Paul at Powerwashstore.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (12-01-2016)

Tags
None