What's the ideal bleach % for house washing? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Pressure Washing

Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's the ideal bleach % for house washing?

I spoke with my local pressure washing supply company and the guy said he can get me bleach in any concentrate up to 62%!!!
I think pool bleach is typically 12.5 and household is now 8% around here. Downstreaming is typically 1:10 so would 20% be too high? That would really only be 2% on the wall. Most recipes say 1 part bleach 3 or 4 part water and some soap. Which is 25 or 33% yes?
Otoh I've used household bleach and it seems to work pretty well.

Sent from my blah blah blah
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

12% is good. Much higher is too unstable and would be hard to store. Twelve percent will burn you nicely and has some hardcore fumes. I can't even imagine handling a 62% sodium hypochlorite solution.

Your mix is going to depend on what you are cleaning. To remove mold from painted trim/wood and vinyl siding, a solution hitting the house of 1.5% is good. I use 3.5 gallons of 12% and a house wash mix with detergent builders topped with water as a downstream mix.

Last edited by PressurePros; 04-23-2014 at 09:00 PM..
PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
I spoke with my local pressure washing supply company and the guy said he can get me bleach in any concentrate up to 62%!!!
I think pool bleach is typically 12.5 and household is now 8% around here. Downstreaming is typically 1:10 so would 20% be too high? That would really only be 2% on the wall. Most recipes say 1 part bleach 3 or 4 part water and some soap. Which is 25 or 33% yes?
Otoh I've used household bleach and it seems to work pretty well.

I've always thought when they said 1 to 3, they were talking 1 part HOUSEHOLD bleach, which would make the final solution about 2% NaClO

That's about what we used when we were hand washing with long handled brushes. (plus the TSP and dish detergent)

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 04-23-2014 at 08:52 PM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 114
Thanked 5,133 Times in 2,794 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
12% is good. Much higher is too unstable and would be hard to store. Twelve percent will burn you nicely and has some hardcore fumes. I can't even imagine handling a 62% sodium hypochlorite solution.

Your mix is going to depend on what you are cleaning. To remove mold from painted trim/wood and vinyl siding, a solution hitting the house of 1.5% is good. I use 3.5 gallons of 12% and a house wash mix with detergent builders topped with water as a downstream mix.
So, top off the 3.5 gallons bleach and soap with 1.5 gallons water and downstream away?

Since I switch to pressure tek down streamers I feel like i have not got my mix dialing in consistently. I use liquid pool bleach though and I do not think that quite hits 12%. It seems like I am using more bleach than I used to use for some reason. Probably just pushing more water through with the newer setup as well. I would just be nice to have it down to an exact recipe so the guys in the field do not have to tweak and modify.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
So, top off the 3.5 gallons bleach and soap with 1.5 gallons water and downstream away?

Since I switch to pressure tek down streamers I feel like i have not got my mix dialing in consistently. I use liquid pool bleach though and I do not think that quite hits 12%. It seems like I am using more bleach than I used to use for some reason. Probably just pushing more water through with the newer setup as well. I would just be nice to have it down to an exact recipe so the guys in the field do not have to tweak and modify.
Yes on your first question, Dean.

I know what you mean. Some guys will go as low as a gallon of 12% on light surface mold on vinyl. I don't want that kind of on-the-fly mixing, so the formula I ran with is a little stronger. The flow of your machine and the size of the downstreamer are all going to affect the final ratio. On some surfaces, especially moldy dryvit, you may need all "bleach" and no water.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Yeah I guess so Bill. They've recently upped household bleach from 5% to 8%. Billed as Concentrated, it comes in smaller containers for the same price as the larger ones used to be.
Which reminds me, candy bars have been getting smaller and smaller and more expensive! The regular price is now $1.19 at Safeway for a regular size. What's up with that?!?!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
Painting Contractor

So what's the math on that mix Ken? 3.5 gals of 12% bleach and soap plus 1.5 gals water equals X% bleach concentrate. Where's my high school algebra when I need it?!
Who's got the answer?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

Quote:
So what's the math on that mix Ken? 3.5 gals of 12% bleach and soap plus 1.5 gals water equals X% bleach concentrate. Where's my high school algebra when I need it?!
Who's got the answer?

Too many variables to even worry about it, Damon. (different gpm machines, true % of sodium hypochlorite, how much hose on a reel, etc).

The perfect percentage is simply the one that works for the job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (04-24-2014), Ultimate (04-27-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Too many variables to even worry about it, Damon. (different gpm machines, true % of sodium hypochlorite, how much hose on a reel, etc).

The perfect percentage is simply the one that works for the job.

Thanks Ken!!
I used straight 8% with some liquid Tide added today on a very dirty / mikdewy house and it cleaned up great. Love that 4-tip unit from pressure Tek!

The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Ken!!
I used straight 8% with some liquid Tide added today on a very dirty / mikdewy house and it cleaned up great. Love that 4-tip unit from pressure Tek!

Makes you think of all those years doing it the hard way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (04-24-2014), Slopmeyer (05-09-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Wouldn't 5 gallons of 8% bleach be roughly stronger than 3 or 3.5 gallons of 12% plus water? Or is there some other benefit to the 12% I'm not aware of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Makes you think of all those years doing it the hard way.

Too many years!!!!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Painting View Post
Wouldn't 5 gallons of 8% bleach be roughly stronger than 3 or 3.5 gallons of 12% plus water? Or is there some other benefit to the 12% I'm not aware of?
In that example without doing the math.. I'm sure close enough. What if you need a stronger mix though? You have nowhere to go but change the method of application. There is also a cost factor. 3.5 gallons of 12% is less expensive than 5 gallons of 8%. There is a diminishing return in terms of storage time, safety, storage and degradation slope once you go past 15%.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 33
View bmoorecl's Photo Album My Photos

Don't spank me,the info here is great,well outdoor bio Clorox,a clear detergent works great,Man,for some reason after cleaning a house,it leave a clear film,that kills meldew for months, check me, if I'm wrong.love th stuff.
bmoorecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 18
View Eugene's Photo Album My Photos

Just to add another option - How about not using bleach at all?

Here is what a Sunshine Coast Pressure Cleaning company uses:

First we cover the area with our bio-degradable mould killer which unlike bleach, chlorine or acids will clean without causing damage to the surface and will not harm people, pets or plants.

Here are the results on aggregate

Thoughts?
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Thoughts?
The aggregate looks good.

The link sends me to a website for a company that provides pressure washing services. I don't see anything about what was used for the disinfection of mold or mildew. Please share what was used to make that aggregate look so good.

Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultimate For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Just to add another option - How about not using bleach at all?

First we cover the area with our bio-degradable mould killer which unlike bleach, chlorine or acids will clean without causing damage to the surface and will not harm people, pets or plants.

Thoughts?
Hard to say. What psi did they/you use to make the clean spot? Are they/you using hot water? I will tell you from 15 years of experience that quats or sodium percarbonate will not kill mold on concrete in any kind of reasonable time. There are times when we apply a 6% solution and still have to use up close pressure (1200 psi or so at the nozzle is all we go up to) or apply another coating of 6% bleach. As always, the right tool for the job in the hands of a pro for maximum efficiency. Bleach won't damage cured concrete but higher pressure will tear off a skim coat. Aggregate is easy to clean.

The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-09-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 53
View Alltime's Photo Album My Photos

I don't think I've ever run bleach through my machine.. I have a good size hudson sprayer that I've marked for quick fills, 3/1 kills everything I need it to. I give a side or two of the house a pass and by the time I'm coming back to wash all the black has turned yellow. It's an extra trip up and down but has never failed me!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

with a down streamer you never run bleach through your machine, and never have to use a ladder for the first four stories look into it, you my friend are chopping down a tree with with a ax, instead you could be using a chain saw. I know because I had that same hudson sprayer and did it that way for a long time.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (11-14-2015), ReNt A PaInTeR (02-18-2017)
Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
with a down streamer you never run bleach through your machine, and never have to use a ladder for the first four stories look into it, you my friend are chopping down a tree with with a ax, instead you could be using a chain saw. I know because I had that same hudson sprayer and did it that way for a long time.

For real man. I wish I had all the hours back I spent doing that!
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-14-2015)

Tags
None