Breakthrough V50 - To Canada soon - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr Smith
  • 2 Post By Rbriggs82
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith

Old 09-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,982
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Breakthrough V50 - To Canada soon

I read in the Festool Group that Breakthrough V50 is coming to Canada in 2020. That's great news for cabinet finishers. This is the higher VOC version where it stands up to hand oils.

Currently, only V51 (low VOC) is available in Canada and some regions of the US.

"There are different regulations regarding the labelling, than the US. We need to have French and English. PPG Canada is working on this."

Last edited by Mr Smith; 09-26-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,426
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

The 250 is the good stuff, not the 50.

Edit. Nevermind. The v50 is the 250 voc, and the v51 is the 50 VOC. Had me confused...

Makes me wonder if my paint stores know what Im talking about when I ask if they have the 250 and not the 50... I might have to look into that. Texas isnt known for banning high VOC stuff....

Last edited by Woodco; 09-26-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
King Dude

Thanked 5,097 Times in 2,909 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
The 250 is the good stuff, not the 50.

Edit. Nevermind. The v50 is the 250 voc, and the v51 is the 50 VOC. Had me confused...

Makes me wonder if my paint stores know what Im talking about when I ask if they have the 250 and not the 50... I might have to look into that. Texas isnt known for banning high VOC stuff....
I specify that I want the blue label not the red otherwise, I doubt they'd know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Mr Smith and Woodco like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,426
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Blue label... Good to know.

They still dont make a semigloss though... I think thats what turned me off of it to begin with. Of course, now, more people want satin on their trim and cabinets.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Blue label... Good to know.

They still dont make a semigloss though... I think thats what turned me off of it to begin with. Of course, now, more people want satin on their trim and cabinets.
Yeah that applies for the satin which is what I use. I think the gloss is purple or something.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 09-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 739
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

That would be cool. Weird that they would bring back a higher VOC option though, no?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,982
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
That would be cool. Weird that they would bring back a higher VOC option though, no?
Because they can market it as a cabinet paint. They do not with the V51.

At 250 g/l It's still well below the 450 g/l max in Canada for architectural coatings.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

View Theoriginalpacman's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry for your bad luck, Canada.
Theoriginalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,182
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalpacman View Post

how long has breakthrough been on the market now?
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

[QUOTE=cocomonkeynuts;1664487]
Quote:

how long has breakthrough been on the market now?[/QUOTE

I was selling the original back in 1990. When it was the original manufacturer.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
King Dude

[quote=Theoriginalpacman;1664497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post

Crazy that I've found nothing other than Ultraplate that's better. Even though it's been around a long time when talking about acrylics it's crazy fast cure time, it's adhesion, and it's pretty amazing durability are hard to ignore.

Actually using it isn't fun, doesn't hide well and dialing it in when spraying can be a challenge. It's a weird fickle product with a big learning curve.

So far only Ultraplate has it beat from what I've found and of course I can't get my hands on it locally. I hear BM has a new product coming that might give it a run, we'll see.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 10-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Rbriggs82;1664539]
Quote:
Quote:

Crazy that I've found nothing other than Ultraplate that's better. Even though it's been around a long time when talking about acrylics it's crazy fast cure time, it's adhesion, and it's pretty amazing durability are hard to ignore.

Actually using it isn't fun, doesn't hide well and dialing it in when spraying can be a challenge. It's a weird fickle product with a big learning curve.

So far only Ultraplate has it beat from what I've found and of course I can't get my hands on it locally. I hear BM has a new product coming that might give it a run, we'll see.

Hard to believe California is going out of their way to steal business from and cause their dealers to close down when there are so few of them isn't it?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
King Dude

[quote=Theoriginalpacman;1664595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post

Hard to believe California is going out of their way to steal business from and cause their dealers to close down when there are so few of them isn't it?
How are they stealing business from their dealers?

|
|
|

|
|
Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #14

[QUOTE=Rbriggs82;1664603]
Quote:
Quote:

How are they stealing business from their dealers?

They started selling Cali products through ppg specifically to get around the no compete clause in their contract with me. Selling to ppg so ppg could take 75% of my business. That's how. And I've heard things like this through several former California dealers. The worst thing a Cali dealer can do is get a couple of customers that buy a lot of paint.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
King Dude

[quote=Theoriginalpacman;1664737]Wait, so you're saying I can get Ultraplate through my PPG dealer? How would they tint it, I thought Cali used there own GenX type tints.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 10-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,182
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Wait, so you're saying I can get Ultraplate through my PPG dealer? How would they tint it, I thought Cali used there own GenX type tints.

Ultraplate, like Cabinetcoat, tints on universal colorant. So any paint store can tint them. Non BM dealers can order INSLX products as well. SW carries INSLX pool paints for example. Can also be ordered through PSS cheaper than I get directly through BM...
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #17
King Dude

Quote:
Ultraplate, like Cabinetcoat, tints on universal colorant. So any paint store can tint them. Non BM dealers can order INSLX products as well. SW carries INSLX pool paints for example. Can also be ordered through PSS cheaper than I get directly through BM...
Is that so, sounds like I need to have a chat with my PPG dealer...

|
|
|

|
|
Old 10-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 100
View Packard's Photo Album My Photos

Will Breakthrough! raise the grain on raw wood surfaces?
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 739
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldnt trust any paint over bare wood. Especially latex. Why not just prime first and seal the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
Will Breakthrough! raise the grain on raw wood surfaces?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None