My experience using BM Scuff-X - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree19Likes

Old 12-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,596
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default My experience using BM Scuff-X

A customer bought all the paint for a current job. Luckily she picked up some BM Ultra Spec 500 low sheen for the walls and Scuff-X for the trim.

I sprayed all the doors and they came out beautifully. Some of the doors were flat and some were panel doors.

The doors had a cheap primer on the flat ones, so the first coat was a bit rough and needed sanding between coats. The bifold and basement doors were the faux wood grain panel type doors.

The front door was metal and it came out beautifully using a 310 FF Graco tip. It felt almost like a lacquer. I sprayed it on its hinge, inside only.

The flat doors are amazing and feel smooth and bulletproof.

I tried both a light coat and a much thicker coat and it held up well with no drips or curtaining. Someone in here said it tended to run (when rolling walls) and that didn't happen to me when I sprayed.

I sprayed them upright with a 6" 2x4 board screwed to the top of each door. For the bifold doors, I cut it to 8". A poster in here had a thread on this spraying method he developed. I used 3" deck screws with 2 fastened to the top. I screwed a deck screw to where the hinges go for easy movement of the doors. You can stack quite a few doors to a small area of the room when drying upright. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the poster. I think he's from Seattle or Oregon. On Instagram, he's called XT Painter but has another username in here.

The trim and baseboards are all 3" flat. I used a 4" Wooster mini roller and micro plush roller sleeve. I brushed and rolled all the trim and It came out like a sprayed look.

Bottom line, two thumbs up for BM Scuff-X.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 12-31-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (01-02-2019), ridesarize (12-31-2018), vwbowman (05-16-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

That's great to hear! I was really happy to read your information about scuff-x and hear about your success. I've been interested in hearing everybody's experience with the product and I'd like to use it too.

Very very glad to hear about that new door system working out. I Really appreciate the feedback, thank you so much.
Mr Smith likes this.
Mr Smith (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
That's great to hear! I was really happy to read your information about scuff-x and hear about your success. I've been interested in hearing everybody's experience with the product and I'd like to use it too.

Very very glad to hear about that new door system working out. I Really appreciate the feedback, thank you so much.
Thanks. let me know how you like Scuff-X.

I just watched your video again and noticed that you mounted the wood high side up. I messed up and mounted them flat. Still worked but I had to be careful that they lined up. That being said, you have more room horizontally for them to line up. Some of the bigger doors didn't line up easily vertically, and only touched half way up. I assume that you angled the screws into the 2x4 wood piece. I'll have to try it. Thanks again for the system!

Last edited by Mr Smith; 12-31-2018 at 07:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 268
Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,009 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Mr Smith THANKS for the review, i loved reading it
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Thanks. let me know how you like Scuff-X.

I just watched your video again and noticed that you mounted the wood high side up. I messed up and mounted them flat. Still worked but I had to be careful that they lined up. That being said, you have more room horizontally for them to line up. Some of the bigger doors didn't line up easily vertically, and only touched half way up. I assume that you angled the screws into the 2x4 wood piece. I'll have to try it. Thanks again for the system!

I think that mounting them flat is way better actually. I did one, maybe two jobs with them on edge, but then switched to flat for the next 8 jobs and it's way easier and secure... 👍👍
Mr Smith likes this.
Mr Smith (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 16
View diplodock's Photo Album My Photos

I used scuff-x matte for a large hallway wall the other week and thought it was superb paint in every way BUT it definitely has a slight visible sheen - low but clearly there - so if your client wants a real flat matte it's not the paint for you and I would use advance matte instead. I wasn't spraying but that won't affect the sheen anyway...
Delta Painting likes this.
diplodock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4
View Dellboy's Photo Album My Photos

Scuff-X eggshell is all I use on all my kitchen jobs now, been using it for a good while over here in the UK, all done by brush as most customers like the hand painted / brushed look.

I have found the Scuff-X very easy to apply, great coverage and the 2 hour recoat is an added bonus.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Dellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,344
Thanked 4,685 Times in 3,153 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

but have any of you tried skateboarding on it yet?
finishesbykevyn likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 891
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodock View Post
I used scuff-x matte for a large hallway wall the other week and thought it was superb paint in every way BUT it definitely has a slight visible sheen - low but clearly there - so if your client wants a real flat matte it's not the paint for you and I would use advance matte instead. I wasn't spraying but that won't affect the sheen anyway...
Matte is suppose to have a slight sheen..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
but have any of you tried skateboarding on it yet?

They plan on cross marketing with the scuff-X Games this summer
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,344
Thanked 4,685 Times in 3,153 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
They plan on cross marketing with the scuff-X Games this summer
They actually tested it by painting a wall with it and building a skateboard ramp so they could skate on it. Supposedly anyway. They have a print add showing this. But being a former pro skateboarder i can tell you that the vertical surface usually doesn't get the most scuff marks on it unless the skaters are doing slides. In the add it doesn't show them doing slides so.....

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #12

This stuff is bulletproof. It feels like oil-based paint.

As a side note, when bringing the doors up from the basement after they have been sprayed, I banged a few of them when navigating a space with a lot of tools and stuff around and they didn't get marked or 'scuffed" up. Normally I'd have to respray them or touch them up. That's a nice little bonus when using this stuff.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 838
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
This stuff is bulletproof. It feels like oil-based paint.

As a side note, when bringing the doors up from the basement after they have been sprayed, I banged a few of them when navigating a space with a lot of tools and stuff around and they didn't get marked or 'scuffed" up. Normally I'd have to respray them or touch them up. That's a nice little bonus when using this stuff.
Yes very surprised how fast it cures enough to gain those properties. Still suffers the same issue CC and other acrylics that it has a different 'look' not sure how else to describe it.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 90
View The Montana Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I will have to try scuffx. My go to is sw proclassic semi acrylic or bm advance. The dry time on advance is prohibitive and the proclassic is a bear to brush even with xim extender. Not impossible but technical.... For lighter whites i sometimes have the store add 1oz of white(titanium dioxide) not all white tint is the same,,,some use a cheaper tent, I use door deckers anytime i do doors, they are great.
The Montana Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 90
View The Montana Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Has anyone tried ceramathane (sp)???
The Montana Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
A customer bought all the paint for a current job. Luckily she picked up some BM Ultra Spec 500 low sheen for the walls and Scuff-X for the trim.

I sprayed all the doors and they came out beautifully. Some of the doors were flat and some were panel doors.

The doors had a cheap primer on the flat ones, so the first coat was a bit rough and needed sanding between coats. The bifold and basement doors were the faux wood grain panel type doors.

The front door was metal and it came out beautifully using a 310 FF Graco tip. It felt almost like a lacquer. I sprayed it on its hinge, inside only.

The flat doors are amazing and feel smooth and bulletproof.

I tried both a light coat and a much thicker coat and it held up well with no drips or curtaining. Someone in here said it tended to run (when rolling walls) and that didn't happen to me when I sprayed.

I sprayed them upright with a 6" 2x4 board screwed to the top of each door. For the bifold doors, I cut it to 8". A poster in here had a thread on this spraying method he developed. I used 3" deck screws with 2 fastened to the top. I screwed a deck screw to where the hinges go for easy movement of the doors. You can stack quite a few doors to a small area of the room when drying upright. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the poster. I think he's from Seattle or Oregon. On Instagram, he's called XT Painter but has another username in here.

The trim and baseboards are all 3" flat. I used a 4" Wooster mini roller and micro plush roller sleeve. I brushed and rolled all the trim and It came out like a sprayed look.

Bottom line, two thumbs up for BM Scuff-X.
The semi-gloss version with anti chip technology will be available in about 1 week here in Colorado. We are really excited to use this product and already know how well it is been received by contractors from coast to coast.
Mr Smith likes this.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #17
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 114
Thanked 5,133 Times in 2,794 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montana Painter View Post
Has anyone tried ceramathane (sp)???
It yellows too much for going over white compared to other options.
Mr Smith likes this.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 4,454
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I just dropped off a cabinet door to be matched in Scuff-x. The store called me back and tried to warn me against using scuffx on wood. I told I know what Im doing....
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 195
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

In addition to being my go-to trim paint, Iíve found that Scuff-X is very easy to sell to clients for walls. My favorite wall paint is Regal Select and Iíll tell clients that Regal looks better, but Scuff-X is more durable when it comes to every day wear and tear.

Hereís a good example that highlights the durability difference of Regal Select vs. Scuff-X. During the punch list phase of a remodel project I found that I was doing a lot more touch ups with Regal Select. With Scuff-X Iíve found that I can remove most minor blemishes with a rag and a little bit of warm water or Krud Kutter.

For those of you using cheaper contractor grade paints, Scuff-X could be a good up-sell. For the most part I think a lot of clients are willing to spend a little more if they think the product will be more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 314
View EveryDay's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
In addition to being my go-to trim paint, Iíve found that Scuff-X is very easy to sell to clients for walls. My favorite wall paint is Regal Select and Iíll tell clients that Regal looks better, but Scuff-X is more durable when it comes to every day wear and tear.

Hereís a good example that highlights the durability difference of Regal Select vs. Scuff-X. During the punch list phase of a remodel project I found that I was doing a lot more touch ups with Regal Select. With Scuff-X Iíve found that I can remove most minor blemishes with a rag and a little bit of warm water or Krud Kutter.

For those of you using cheaper contractor grade paints, Scuff-X could be a good up-sell. For the most part I think a lot of clients are willing to spend a little more if they think the product will be more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good info. Thanks.
EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None