PPG MV380 Aquacron for cabinets? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,766
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default PPG MV380 Aquacron for cabinets?

My rep says many are using PPG MV380 Aquacron for cabinets. It's like a waterborne lacquer but with fewer issues like micro bubbling.

Has anyone tried it?

Product Highlights
- Excellent block resistance, Very fast drying
- Excellent chemical resistance, Good flexibility
- Available in a wide range of colors and gloss
- Reduction and clean-up with tap water
- Outstanding adhesion to a variety of substrates
- VOC <1.0 lbs./gal. (120 g/L)

The PDF doesn't list wood as a substrate but many painters love it for cabinets.

http://www.ppgtruefinish.com/getmedi...namel.pdf.aspx
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,110
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Its not a WB lacquer, its more like a WB urethane/acrylic alkyd. I painted my van with it a last year. It was REALLY thick, as in I had to thin down 30% to even spray through my airless. It was like peanut butter.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Its not a WB lacquer, its more like a WB urethane/acrylic alkyd. I painted my van with it a last year. It was REALLY thick, as in I had to thin down 30% to even spray through my airless. It was like peanut butter.
I know it's not a WB lacquer. My rep said it looks like a WB lacquer when finished and dries super quick. It's 100% acrylic apparently and not a WB alkyd either. Wow, that is thick. I'm not sure I want to thin it 30% and then spray the vertical cabinet boxes.

Man, I had high hopes only to be disappointed again. My rep is comping me a gallon tomorrow to try. Will rolling the boxes leave a stipple texture?

I may end up using cabinet coat on oak cabinet doors. There is not much else avaialble unless you have the patience to dial in WB lacquers. I don't have a shop to spend hours playing with waterborne lacquers unfortunately.

I also want to stop using Advance because of the 8-10 days turnover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

The product I used was definitely a waterborne alkyd. It might be a different product, so dont take my word for it.

I think I was using the MV-488, so definitely a different product.

Last edited by Woodco; 04-04-2018 at 07:28 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

@Mr Smith - Thanks for you info on this product. I and a bunch of others would be interesred in you final evaluation. I use the WB lacquers and deal with the problems you described frequently. Good luck with your evaluation.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #6

Yes. Please keep us posted on how that works. PPG has a very limited selection of cabinet quality paint, so I'd like to see how it goes.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,137
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I know it's not a WB lacquer. My rep said it looks like a WB lacquer when finished and dries super quick. It's 100% acrylic apparently and not a WB alkyd either. Wow, that is thick. I'm not sure I want to thin it 30% and then spray the vertical cabinet boxes.

Man, I had high hopes only to be disappointed again. My rep is comping me a gallon tomorrow to try. Will rolling the boxes leave a stipple texture?

I may end up using cabinet coat on oak cabinet doors. There is not much else avaialble unless you have the patience to dial in WB lacquers. I don't have a shop to spend hours playing with waterborne lacquers unfortunately.

I also want to stop using Advance because of the 8-10 days turnover.
Why not try the PPG Breakthrough everyone's been raving about. Recoat in 2 hours. Good leveling and apparently can drive your car on it after 48 hours.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Why not try the PPG Breakthrough everyone's been raving about. Recoat in 2 hours. Good leveling and apparently can drive your car on it after 48 hours.
It doesnt come in semigloss, and you cant spray it if its the slightest bit humid.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 310
View Center_line_Painting's Photo Album My Photos

@Mr Smith
Let us know about the wb aquacron! I've grilled all my local reps for cabinet products and haven't heard of that one yet.

Now I'm curious about applying it to fiberglass too....a low odor product sounds tantalizing.

Last edited by Center_line_Painting; 04-19-2018 at 10:32 PM..
Center_line_Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Everyone was raving about the original high VOC Breakthrough.
Canadian laws only permit the low VOC version which is not as hard as the original. It's simply not a cabinet grade paint. I've had a salesman who sells the stuff tell me not to use it on Kitchen cabinets. Is the high VOC version still sold in the USA?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #11

My paint rep comped me a free gallon. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Been busy and don't have a shop.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-20-2018 at 12:26 AM..
Old 04-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #12
King Dude

Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,864 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Everyone was raving about the original high VOC Breakthrough.
Canadian laws only permit the low VOC version which is not as hard as the original. It's simply not a cabinet grade paint. I've had a salesman who sells the stuff tell me not to use it on Kitchen cabinets. Is the high VOC version still sold in the USA?
Depending on where you are in the country it is. I'm in South Carolina and my store carries both versions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None