There isn't a good cabinet paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree69Likes
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164
View bluegrassdan's Photo Album My Photos
Default There isn't a good cabinet paint

So if the PPg low voc breakthrough isn't good for kitchen cabinets than nothing is. All I have to choose from is big box stores and Benjamin moore so I am out of luck.
AIDANLYNN likes this.
bluegrassdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 280
View rosespainting's Photo Album My Photos

Why not try BMs insl-x cabinet coat, or BM Advanced? And what is wrong with Breakthrough? I haven't used it much, but have heard great things.
rosespainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 164
View bluegrassdan's Photo Album My Photos

The word is the low voc version isnt as good. That is all I can get in Canada i think. I know the Advance yellows and people on here say the Inslx mars.
bluegrassdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry to say you aren't going to find a good cabinet paint in the box stores and probably not even in the stocked "regular" paint stores either.

You need to be looking into the high grade finishes and industrial type coatings. Ask yourself this, do cabinet manufacturers that ship out their products by the thousands every day use regular latex paint as their medium and choice of product?

The answer is no, they do not. It would be a disaster for them with scratches, nicks/dings, etc. A baked on finish or other high end finishes are utilized instead. I've looked at a few "paint" grade finishes from cab companies and you can't hardly even scratch the stuff. A regular latex paint isn't even close to an apple/apple comparison.

I'd head over to a real paint store, whatever is available in your area, and really talk to them. See what products they have available from a more industrial standpoint.

These products will separate you from the joe bloe painter looking to put killz/guards on followed by a top coat of an enamel paint. Night and day difference in finishes.
Eagle Cap Painter and Mace like this.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #5

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Get you some generalfinishes white poly from Amazon. My current favorite. I would put it in the pigmented lacquer category vs paint. I spray it with an HVLP.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

I just did a set with scuff x. Totally happy with it and so is the customer. Bm product. Smooth, dries fast and hard. It's not a conversion varnish though in the right situation lenmar conversion varnish is bomb imo.
But for paint grade cabs, scuff x should be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
monarchski likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,848
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
I just did a set with scuff x. Totally happy with it and so is the customer. Bm product. Smooth, dries fast and hard. It's not a conversion varnish though in the right situation lenmar conversion varnish is bomb imo.
But for paint grade cabs, scuff x should be just fine.

Do you think Scuff-X is better than Breakthrough? Harder finish? Does it run on verticals? it would be nice to use a wooden hangar and spray both sides at once. I just built a PVC spray rack for just that purpose. Some painter on YouTube showed how to build it. It was simple to build and can be broken down for storage and portability.

Would spraying "Stays Clear" poly from BM make the Scuff-X even tougher? The General finishes poly is good too. I've never top-coated paint with a poly before.

One thing I don't like about Advance is it doesn't roll well. It leaves a stipple and doesn't level out when rolling the boxes. Cabinet Coat leaves a texture too.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #8

Personally, for what we do, I'm totally happy with scuff x. Ez to maintain, ez to spray, roll, cut whatever. Lays down nice with no extender and a good open time.
Of the products available, I prefer it. I can't use a 16hr recoat product and 9 times put of 10, I can't use solvents or otherwise super smelly stuff. I like how hard it gets a d it does it pretty quickly...i was surprised at the 24 he mark. I wouldn't put a clear coat over it...i don't think it needs it. It's about 10 times the product pro classic is.
I do like breakthrough on the couple sets I did but it has caveats that I'm just not into. And the learning curve for spraying it was frustrating....
And the price is right (on scuff x) to boot!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #9
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,073 Times in 2,890 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

My concern with the scuffx is how it holds up to handling long term. I've found that most latex paints tend to get gummy around heavily used areas of doors then scratch off. I know breakthrough doesn't but as you said learning how to spray it is not fun. I've found its best sprayed with a 308.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,848
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
My concern with the scuffx is how it holds up to handling long term. I've found that most latex paints tend to get gummy around heavily used areas of doors then scratch off. I know breakthrough doesn't but as you said learning how to spray it is not fun. I've found its best sprayed with a 308.

When referring to PPG Breakthrough I wish people would say which VOC version they are using. They are two totally different products in my opinion.

Every single Canadian painter (and California) can only buy the low VOC version which is not good for cabinets.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 05-18-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
When referring to PPG Breakthrough I wish people would say which VOC version they are using. They are two totally different products in my opinion.

Every single Canadian painter (and California) can only buy the low VOC version which is not good for cabinets.
I use the good stuff, although from what I understand the only difference I that the higher VOC version adheres slightly better.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 412
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
So if the PPg low voc breakthrough isn't good for kitchen cabinets than nothing is. All I have to choose from is big box stores and Benjamin moore so I am out of luck.
I've never found a better cabinet paint than Para Ultra Hybrid (I prefer eggshell)
http://para.com/product/ultra-hybrid-eggshell-2/
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

I feel ya. I dunno how it's gonna wear down the road, but it definitely has a much harder finish than proclassic or something like it...meh. long enough to out last the warranty if nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post

PPD and monarchski like this.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 888
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I feel ya. I dunno how it's gonna wear down the road, but it definitely has a much harder finish than proclassic or something like it...meh. long enough to out last the warranty if nothing else!

Are you refering to proclassic oil or the acrylic proclassic. I still use the oil but would like to find a waterbased to replace it I just have never found one I was happy with. Breakthrough was until the lower voc version. I have had trouble with advanced staying soft and sticky too long especially in darker colors.

I have tried a couple of the waterbased industrial paints frp, sherwin williams but never been to happy with them either. I was hoping to try scuff x and see if it did the trick as the local BM store started carrying it. I would like to try cabinet coat but no one carries it near me.

jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 314
View Center_line_Painting's Photo Album My Photos

....it's like breakthrough has hit hard times on painttalk...
As soon as it's brought up, there is a deep wail from the bellows of all painters.

But why can't we just have the high voc version??

low voc version in NJ is just fine. Adheres to BIN well. My fingernails are hard as a rock and they dent the wood (and paint) together. Meaning the paint doesn't come off.

Great to hear some news on the scuff-x. It won't be put in my HVLP anytime soon, but might consider switching things up and trying airless on a set later in the year.
Center_line_Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #16
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center_line_Painting View Post
....it's like breakthrough has hit hard times on painttalk...
As soon as it's brought up, there is a deep wail from the bellows of all painters.

But why can't we just have the high voc version??

low voc version in NJ is just fine. Adheres to BIN well. My fingernails are hard as a rock and they dent the wood (and paint) together. Meaning the paint doesn't come off.

Great to hear some news on the scuff-x. It won't be put in my HVLP anytime soon, but might consider switching things up and trying airless on a set later in the year.
Most of the time the higher VOC version adheres so well without a primer you dent the wood before getting it to scratch off. The low VOC is just fine, not as good worth using especially over a solvent based primer. I bet it still adheres better than most latex adhesion primers (I don't trust those).

|
|
|

|
|
Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #17

Oil is king.the end.
I was referring to the pc hybrid and the acrylic. Both pale in comparison.

That being said we are forced to adjust to new technology regardless of its inferiority. It sucks.
All I have is my own experiences, and those tell me scuff x is a great product for my everyday needs.

Give it a try! Just paint door or something in it and decide for yourself.
Personally, I don't have time for advance and apparently acrylic impervo is crappy compared to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob33 View Post
Are you refering to proclassic oil or the acrylic proclassic. I still use the oil but would like to find a waterbased to replace it I just have never found one I was happy with. Breakthrough was until the lower voc version. I have had trouble with advanced staying soft and sticky too long especially in darker colors.

I have tried a couple of the waterbased industrial paints frp, sherwin williams but never been to happy with them either. I was hoping to try scuff x and see if it did the trick as the local BM store started carrying it. I would like to try cabinet coat but no one carries it near me.

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 05-19-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #18
King Dude

Quote:
Personally, I don't have time for advance and apparently acrylic impervo is crappy compared to this.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

lilpaintchic likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 05-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

My BM manager told me Cabinet Coat will be made available in a deep base soon. I love that product.

He also said a local painter loves using BM Corotech on cabinets, self priming, fast dry oil and its super tough.

I used Advance on 3 sets of cabinets lately, with tremendously happy clients. 2 of 3 were deep base color.

The cabinet maker that I painted for, says when he paints his stuff he goes with ML Cambell pre cat pigmented lacquer. custom made batches avail in any color.

Just some random info

Here's a couple of my recents
Attached Thumbnails
There isn't a good cabinet paint-20180506_155916.jpg  

There isn't a good cabinet paint-20180509_190121.jpg  

There isn't a good cabinet paint-20180509_174103.jpg  

There isn't a good cabinet paint-20180506_155836.jpg  

Jmayspaint (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Ask your BM dealer if they can order Lenmar products. Here’s a link to the Lenmar Waterborne Finish Systems webpage:
http://www.lenmar-coatings.com/categ...efinishsystems

Target Coatings would be another option. They can match BM colors and ship it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ridesarize likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None