Torn on cabinet coating - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mug
  • 1 Post By IKnowNothing
  • 1 Post By Masterwork

Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58
View Lynchburg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Torn on cabinet coating

I have been doing my cabinets in Emerald Urethan and love the way they come out and clients have been happy too. I am looking to always give a better product to them based on my ability and have been recently thinking of starting to use pigmented lacquer. I am hoping yall can help me with the decision.

1. I have been told that with the PL I would have to sand all would down to raw to get the primer to adhere and cover is that true?

2. Also been told that the PL is able to be cleaned up with water like the EU i am using.

3. My biggest question is if the PL can be brushed/rolled or does it have to be all sprayed. Right now I spray all my doors/drawers at home in my booth but do the frames by and hand. My clients know this and like that I don't have to tape their entire kitchen off and spray everything while trying to remove vapor from the house. I price my jobs out accordingly because of this. Can I keep the same method if I use the PL or do I have to change?

4. Is PL explosive? My booth is in my garage but so is my gas furnace and hot water heater. My booth is all closed up with plastic and zippers along with 2000 cfm pulling out overspray and vapors. Would I be ok to even spray PL there?

Thanks for the help
Lynchburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

Check out the Safety and Technical sheets about the products you want to use. Talk to your supplier. Diligently search about the product. Do some product testing before you commit to a kitchen!
finishesbykevyn and Lynchburg like this.
mug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #3

View Masterwork's Photo Album My Photos

I've been eyeing Envirolak, because it's easy to get in Canada. It's water based, so no boom boom, but the VOCs are still high.
Masterwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 116
View IKnowNothing's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterwork View Post
I've been eyeing Envirolak, because it's easy to get in Canada. It's water based, so no boom boom, but the VOCs are still high.
Strange.
I just checked their website and they are claiming the opposite.

"Low VOCís, no formaldehyde, no isocyanate, no flammable solvents, all the performance. Better for finishers and better for consumers. Just better."

But I wouldn't worry that much about VOCs.
VOCs are overrated, over exaggerated, over-hyped.
I mean, it's important to have them lower rather than higher but the perceived dangers from them are being made into a huge monster.
Bit similar to green house gasses hysteria.

I would just use their product with clear conscious. Sounds like a great product.
monarchski likes this.
IKnowNothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 128
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
Strange.
I just checked their website and they are claiming the opposite.

"Low VOCís, no formaldehyde, no isocyanate, no flammable solvents, all the performance. Better for finishers and better for consumers. Just better."

But I wouldn't worry that much about VOCs.
VOCs are overrated, over exaggerated, over-hyped.
I mean, it's important to have them lower rather than higher but the perceived dangers from them are being made into a huge monster.
Bit similar to green house gasses hysteria.

I would just use their product with clear conscious. Sounds like a great product.
This does sound like great poduct. Interesting, they claim that thier products are brush/roll friendly, but the tds only talks about spraying. The 2 white base products also look like they tack up in minutes which would mean you would have to be moving!
I wonder if A: They are tintable and B: if you can go over old finishes. I know alot of these finishes including Lenmar have a maximum 5mm dft.
I imagine most of these products would work best on raw wood, which would mean completely removing the old finish. (This is much more work obviously)
Also, if you getting into that kind of prep work, you will most likely be bagging everthing off anyhow to protect for all the dust. At this point you may as well just spray it all..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Lol yeah, it's not as bad as some stuff. I'm just extra paranoid. I had a baby back in May, so now I'm looking into all the safety stuff more carefully. 😛
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post

This does sound like great poduct. Interesting, they claim that thier products are brush/roll friendly, but the tds only talks about spraying. The 2 white base products also look like they tack up in minutes which would mean you would have to be moving!
I wonder if A: They are tintable and B: if you can go over old finishes. I know alot of these finishes including Lenmar have a maximum 5mm dft.
I imagine most of these products would work best on raw wood, which would mean completely removing the old finish. (This is much more work obviously)
Also, if you getting into that kind of prep work, you will most likely be bagging everthing off anyhow to protect for all the dust. At this point you may as well just spray it all..
I got in touch with the Envirolak ceo, of all people, and he said the following:

"Hi Mike, yes we do. I suggest PR170TB Tannin blocking primer with our 200 or 100 series tinted to the desired color for top coat. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. Thanks, Stef"

In a follow up email:

"Works great with Airless 310 tip for primer 308 for top coat. You can use HVLP but you might need to reduce it. You can use water or our RX010 reducer at 5% max which cuts the visc 5x more than water."

So it can go over existing finishes. He also recommended their clear coat, for extra durability, but it's optional.
The Following User Says Thank You to Masterwork For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 128
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterwork View Post
I got in touch with the Envirolak ceo, of all people, and he said the following:

"Hi Mike, yes we do. I suggest PR170TB Tannin blocking primer with our 200 or 100 series tinted to the desired color for top coat. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. Thanks, Stef"

In a follow up email:

"Works great with Airless 310 tip for primer 308 for top coat. You can use HVLP but you might need to reduce it. You can use water or our RX010 reducer at 5% max which cuts the visc 5x more than water."

So it can go over existing finishes. He also recommended their clear coat, for extra durability, but it's optional.
So he actually said it can go over existing products?
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
So he actually said it can go over existing products?
Here is interesting video testing that product:

Envirolak Waterbase Finishes.
This week we are looking at a Canadian company called Envirolak.
This coating by Envirolak is one of the most impressive 1k waterbase coatings I have seen on the market.
Their goal was to create a conversion varnish finish without adding crosslinkers or hardners.
I have to say I think they hit the mark.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #10

Here is another video on it:

Envirolak 170 primer and 200 Pigmented Series.
This week we take a look at the Envirolak 200 pigmented finish
The 170 primer is one of the best waterbase primers on the market and the 200 series has the look
feel and duribility that we have come to expect from Italian Coatings.
Envirolak doesnt disapoint with the 200 series product line.

*MY TIP*
I like to watch most of the YouTube videos in faster speed than Normal.
I save time that way.
In YTube video go to the settings and choose Playback speed.
From Normal choose faster speed.
Some videos are totally fine watching at 1.5 speed. Others even at 2.0
Especially when the person speaks slow. Super time saver, and you still get the point they are making.
Attached Thumbnails
Torn on cabinet coating-yt-playback-speed..jpg  

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Yesterday at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Lol, FULL of filthy language...swearing like a drunk painter.

Tags
None