What's the difference between stainS? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stelzerpaintinginc.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's the difference between stainS?

I frequently use both Minwax and Old Masters oil based penetrating stains and poly but not on a fine finish or furniture grade project. What's the difference between stain products, and polyurethanes for that matter? What makes a good stain?

I mean both seem to penetrate and have consistency so why would I buy one product over another? If I do a furniture grade project what would be my top of the line product/process choice?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Pass. Sorry.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

I find when it comes to stain and top coating questions, wood working forums have better information.

The wood whisperer comes to mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epretot For This Useful Post:
Tonyg (08-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Troy

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,145 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
I frequently use both Minwax and Old Masters oil based penetrating stains and poly but not on a fine finish or furniture grade project. What's the difference between stain products, and polyurethanes for that matter? What makes a good stain?

I mean both seem to penetrate and have consistency so why would I buy one product over another? If I do a furniture grade project what would be my top of the line product/process choice?
If you're referring to interior stains, my answer would be completely different than for exterior stains. For interior, I'm of the opinion that any stain you're well versed in and can accomplish a consistent, repeatable, professional finish, then that's the best stain to use. As you know, so much of staining is knowing what to do and what to use in certain situations to achieve a particular outcome. In my own experience, I've found the best success with General Finishes and Old Masters for interior stains, but I guarantee anyone who's mastered another type of stain can match or beat any finish I could put out with my favorite brands.

Now, if we're talking about exterior stains, my answer isn't so simple. Like you and any other painter who's been around the block, we have our favorites as far as what works best.

To address your question about the best product/process for achieving furniture-grade work, I'd say it's entirely dependent upon your experience with various techniques, stains, dyes, toners, wash-coats, finishes, etc. Also would depend greatly on your expectaions, budget, and just how far you're willing to go and how much time you're willing to spend. So the answer is pretty subjective.

For interior wood finishes, Google, "Bob Flexner". Although I don't follow every suggestion of his to the letter, I've learned a ton just by reading & reviewing his various publications & internet submissions.
Also,
www.finishingiq.com
www.lumberjocks.com
www.woodmagazine.com
PNW Painter likes this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
epretot (08-06-2016), Rbriggs82 (08-04-2016), RH (08-04-2016), Tonyg (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
If you're referring to interior stains, my answer would be completely different than for exterior stains. For interior, I'm of the opinion that any stain you're well versed in and can accomplish a consistent, repeatable, professional finish, then that's the best stain to use. As you know, so much of staining is knowing what to do and what to use in certain situations to achieve a particular outcome. In my own experience, I've found the best success with General Finishes and Old Masters for interior stains, but I guarantee anyone who's mastered another type of stain can match or beat any finish I could put out with my favorite brands.

Now, if we're talking about exterior stains, my answer isn't so simple. Like you and any other painter who's been around the block, we have our favorites as far as what works best.

To address your question about the best product/process for achieving furniture-grade work, I'd say it's entirely dependent upon your experience with various techniques, stains, dyes, toners, wash-coats, finishes, etc. Also would depend greatly on your expectaions, budget, and just how far you're willing to go and how much time you're willing to spend. So the answer is pretty subjective.

For interior wood finishes, Google, "Bob Flexner". Although I don't follow every suggestion of his to the letter, I've learned a ton just by reading & reviewing his various publications & internet submissions.
Also,
www.finishingiq.com
www.lumberjocks.com
www.woodmagazine.com
Good response. But I myself have never been able to get even an acceptable finish using any Minwax product. I guess that's why they pay all of you the big bucks!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
King Dude

Rewards Points: 12
Thanked 5,149 Times in 2,956 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Good response. But I myself have never been able to get even an acceptable finish using any Minwax product. I guess that's why they pay all of you the big bucks!
That's correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 416
Thanked 15,585 Times in 8,225 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Try the Sansin stains if you can find them. I think I may be swinging from Old Masters over to those now that I have been using them a bit more.
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Tonyg (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #8
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Availability is key. I ordered in some Sansin last year (off if Amazon if all places) for a project and may try the General finishes next time when I have time to wait for shipping which is really the problem. SW carries the minwax and BM Old Masters which is my primary provider. Have used some lacquer a few years back that a local cabinet shop was using but that is a direction I didn't want to go

Tags
None