Worn-out packings and fingering pattern? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Interior Wood Finishing

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MikeCalifornia
  • 3 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 1 Post By fromthenorthwest
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 02-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 82
View fromthenorthwest's Photo Album My Photos
Default Worn-out packings and fingering pattern?

I have to admit for how long I've been using them I know ridiculously little about the anatomy of an airless. My question is to those of you with more knowledge, will worn out packings cause fingering of a spray pattern?

I had all kinds of problems on a couple cabinet jobs, and thought it was temperature, surface contamination etc. After some further experimentation today it seems the problem may actually just have been related to a fingering spray pattern.

My titan 440 is just about 5 years old now, and it's gotten plenty of use. I've got a brand-new 308 fflp tip, but also had the same problems with a 310 and a 212. It seems to be fingering even when I had it almost maxed out on pressure. If I didn't have the pressure turned to at least 3 o'clock the spray pattern looked terrible, very spotty with lots of almost orange peeled areas. I would think for a low-pressure tip it shouldn't need to be cranked all the way just to get it to not finger.

I will say, that the fingering was the worst with breakthrough and cabinet coat. When I ran some latex primer through it later it seemed to spray out a lot better with hardly any fingering at around 3 o'clock on the pressure. Are breakthrough and cabinet coat just that heavy bodied that they can't be atomized at a standard pressure, or is that were potentially worn out packings might come into play?

Anyways, if anybody has any thoughts on this one let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fromthenorthwest; 02-14-2020 at 01:20 AM..
fromthenorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,128
Thanked 1,017 Times in 650 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

If your sprayer can't maintain or produce the required psi to push your material through the tip, it won't atomize correctly. After five years, most likely need to repack. But a repack won't last if the piston is scored so check that too. Also upper and lower balls with seats all wear too. If you are using the FFLP tips, you should not need anymore than 2000 psi, If you have the pressure control with a colored light, set it to just past yellow, when it turns green or lower.
Woodco and cocomonkeynuts like this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,316
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I have bought bad tips before, but three in a row, is out of the question. Definitely repack.

Breakthrough is very thin. Cabinet coat is pretty thin too. I dont understand why a primer would spray better though. Maybe its just not as noticable?

Last edited by Woodco; 02-14-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

Thanks Mike. Yeah that's about where I've been setting the pressure right where it turns green. Typically that has been good but that was not enough pressure for these last two cabinet jobs with the Breakthrough and cabinet coat. I had to pretty much crank it full bore.

When I'm using a 517 or something along those lines I've always had to crank it near full, but I don't remember having to do that with the smaller fine finish tips or even something like a 415.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Hey Woodco, yeah that is the mystery that's got me confused. I had the doors flat and really good light yesterday so i could really see the spray patterns. The primer was definitely coming out smoother and fuller, while the Breakthrough and cabinet coat we're coming out very fingered and orange peel like. Hmmm. Which yes does seem weird because of how thin breakthrough is. I even cut it 15%, which helped a little bit but it was still coming out with a bad pattern until I cranked it almost full.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 555
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Do you clean your filters? I know that may sound like a silly question, but I new a guy who was having the same problems. I asked him that same question, he says "these things have filters?" My lord were they clogged! haha

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 02-14-2020 at 04:36 PM..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #7

Hey Kevyn yes I take out the manifold and gun filter every time I'm finished or switch finishes and give them a full cleaning. Give the rock guard a good scrub too with a wire brush. My first painting boss made sure of that
Old 02-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,128
Thanked 1,017 Times in 650 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Do you clean your filters? I know that may sound like a silly question, but I new a guy who was having the same problems. I asked him that same question, he says "these things have filters?" My lord were they clogged! haha

Yes, so crucial. I have had jobs where there was so much dried crap coming off the bottom of the bucket, that it wrapped around the intake and could not suck enough material. Also, some products jam up the gun filter and restrict material flow.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,922
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Yes, so crucial. I have had jobs where there was so much dried crap coming off the bottom of the bucket, that it wrapped around the intake and could not suck enough material. Also, some products jam up the gun filter and restrict material flow.

That happened to me one time after I repacked a pump. Was very thorough on the fluid section and installed a new piston rod. Customer called me up later and said it wasn't spraying. Very confused because I cleaned everything, repacked, replaced hose connections w/ PTFE thread tape, Tested pressure with water. Well it turned out testing with only water was the issue, the rock guard was gummed up and I hadn't noticed because it was sucking water fine. Tested with paint and it sure enough no suction.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 02-14-2020 at 11:29 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,162
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I've seen that more than once....smh

Especially manifold filters.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Kev D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthenorthwest View Post
Hey Kevyn yes I take out the manifold and gun filter every time I'm finished or switch finishes and give them a full cleaning. Give the rock guard a good scrub too with a wire brush. My first painting boss made sure of that
Good man. Sounds like your loosing pressure somewhere else then. Time to re pack her id say!
Old 02-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4
View chucktodd's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with the above posted - repack for sure
chucktodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #13

Thanks all, sounds like a repack is definitely in order. I'm on the waiting list at one of my local stores that works on pumps. If it works out I'm going to watch him do it so I can learn for myself. Can't wait to see if that solves the problem.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #14
Kev D.

Although, one time a bunch of years back, when I was working for the man. There actually was a rock stuck in the lines somewhere. We were running water through the lines with no gun. Not much was coming out..we were all huddled over a 5 gal pail. Finally like a shot gun, the lodged object exploded into the bucket with so much force it blew my head back. It felt like someone punched me in the eyes. I was blind for about 15 minutes.
Word of caution. Wear your safety glasses when cleaning out your rig..scary stuff.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,922
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Although, one time a bunch of years back, when I was working for the man. There actually was a rock stuck in the lines somewhere. We were running water through the lines with no gun. Not much was coming out..we were all huddled over a 5 gal pail. Finally like a shot gun, the lodged object exploded into the bucket with so much force it blew my head back. It felt like someone punched me in the eyes. I was blind for about 15 minutes.
Word of caution. Wear your safety glasses when cleaning out your rig..scary stuff.

Happened recently to a customer I was helping clean out his sprayer. Was chugging along nicely, then nothing. Turned machine off, took the hose to compressor both sides clog loosened up at the opposite end and damn paint shot out like a cannon 30ft and hit the guys car across the parking lot
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 5,316
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

If you use a wire brush to clean your rock guard, there could be a bristle inside your check valve area. I've had it happen.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None