Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Painter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got family that run an animal rescue/sanctuary in central Michigan. They bought sheds (10x20) two years ago for some of the animals, but never finished the wood siding. Since all the sheds are in pastures where animals graze I'm planning to get everything lightly powerwashed with an oxyclean mixture to take care of any mold or mildew buildup and then give it at least two days to dry out. It's worked great for me in the past and should be ok if some gets on the vegetation.

The pastures are wide open so when weather hits you feel like your in a wind tunnel. Between that, the Michigan snows and the sun beating down on them all summer im scratching my head on what is going to hold up best.
It's family so my labor is going to be free, but how I treat wood siding in the suburbs of chicago might come close but Im not sure will hold up longer term to their Gforce weather. Thankfully they dont care if its solid stain or paint they are just looking for something that will hold up. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Here's how the wood looks right now

Property Window Building Wood Fixture

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,758 Posts
I wouldn't put any sort of paint on that siding. Looks like it'd be a nightmare with pitch bleed from knots and tannin bleed as well. I'd choose a solid stain, but a dark enough color to hide the knots. I've used Titebond II on that type of siding with great results by brushing it over the knots before staining.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not a fan of power washing bare wood, (unless using a very-very low pressure), power washing with stronger pressure will just rip into the bare wood too much, in my opinion.
I don't think there will be a benefit of power washing, just apply OxiClean mixture and hose it down.
What I would consider to do, is to use orbital sander and remove all the dead wood fibers from the boards.
I'm sure there are there after all those years.

Two options when to sand.
Best practice is of course to sand it after cleaning with OxiClean mixture, so you don't "push" all the stuff into the wood with the sand paper.
I would consider as low as 40 or 60 grit.
But that means longer process, because now you have to let it dry after cleaning, before sanding, and then the best practice is to hose it down all the dust after sanding.
But that adds days for drying.
Or you can just blow it off with compressed air.
Other way to do it, is to sand it before cleaning with OxiClean mixture.

I'm 99% sure that cocomonkeynuts will suggest Ship'Nshore.
Lol :)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I've got family that run an animal rescue/sanctuary in central Michigan. They bought sheds (10x20) two years ago for some of the animals, but never finished the wood siding. Since all the sheds are in pastures where animals graze I'm planning to get everything lightly powerwashed with an oxyclean mixture to take care of any mold or mildew buildup and then give it at least two days to dry out. It's worked great for me in the past and should be ok if some gets on the vegetation.

The pastures are wide open so when weather hits you feel like your in a wind tunnel. Between that, the Michigan snows and the sun beating down on them all summer im scratching my head on what is going to hold up best.
It's family so my labor is going to be free, but how I treat wood siding in the suburbs of chicago might come close but Im not sure will hold up longer term to their Gforce weather. Thankfully they dont care if its solid stain or paint they are just looking for something that will hold up. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Here's how the wood looks right now
use a quality oil stain. sikkens srd, twp 100, daly's etc

end of the day longevity of the wood can only be marginal as the backsides and end grain were not sealed prior to installation. Its likely to need to be resided in the future no matter what you put on it

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,113 Posts
Cleaning and brightening the wood first will be the most important. I agree with others that a solid latex stain like Arborcoat would be a good choice. Straight on the bare wood. It's tuff stuff.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,150 Posts
This is really not what you are asking, but personally, considering what and where they are, I’d either leave it as is or maybe just use a wood brightener. Then tell em’ to save their money and then reside them in five or ten years (or even now) with Hardie Plank siding. It will hold up far better in that type of environment and take and hold paint far longer.
Pine may have looked nice when it was new but I can think of no worse siding for any structure, let alone those located in an area with tough weather.

·
Registered
Painter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I know they were thinking that they would save money by buying the sheds unfinished and doing it themselves but man I wish they had talked to me first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts