Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Has anyone else received the letter from Sherwin Williams about their Sept through Dec 31st 4% surcharge they are adding to all line items on invoices? All paint and sundry items. Pretty ballzy after a 7% price increase just a few months back. :cautious:
Is anyone surprised anymore?

That has been there tactic all along. Undercut competitors, drive out competition, raise prices.

Their sundry prices are high to begin with. Better to shop around for that anyway.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
But it is only temporary till Dec. 31 when they will roll it into their normal 6% increase and make it 10%.Their heartfelt remark about not taking the increase lightheartedly is a bit thin as well. When I first heard about the shortage of material, which is their own fault by making too much stuff in Texas, I was wondering how long it would take to raise prices.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well if you buy their blue bucket sale through their app you get an extra 5% off making it 40% rather than the standard 35%.

So yesterday I walked around the store with my app on ordering supplies I wanted while I simultaneously placed them on the counter. Hit purchase and walked out. Before I could leave the manager came out and said here’s your order. I told him I should get an extra 5% off for fetching my own order…..

Stop the complaining please, EVERYTHING has gone up in today’s world. Just gotta figure out how to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also, my awesome S-W rep came to my job site yesterday. Brought pizza lunch for us. Talked about the surcharge increase. Talked about work and life etc. There’s a lot to be said with that. He gives me good pricing on sundries and paint. Not always the best, but pretty darn good. He will find me
products my local store doesn’t have and deliver them. He gives me insight on my local area and referrals from time to time.

Dunn Edwards, my local Ben Moore, Home Depot, etc don’t do any of that at all period. So, to me, paint is paint. I apply paint on surfaces. I try to use not only what’s available but what’s good and a good price. Not always SW, some of those other brands too. But when I have a rep that brings me lunch and gets me good pricing? Sign me up!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well if you buy their blue bucket sale through their app you get an extra 5% off making it 40% rather than the standard 35%.

So yesterday I walked around the store with my app on ordering supplies I wanted while I simultaneously placed them on the counter. Hit purchase and walked out. Before I could leave the manager came out and said here’s your order. I told him I should get an extra 5% off for fetching my own order…..

Stop the complaining please, EVERYTHING has gone up in today’s world. Just gotta figure out how to make it work.

Not really complaining here, just stating the fact of one more reason why I don't like to do business there. I still do when a customer requests Sherwin-Williams, and I like the SW store manager in my town, I just prefer to do business with a locally-owned shop whenever I can. To me SW is sorta like Mcdonald's or Starbucks, I'd rather not see them everywhere.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Also, my awesome S-W rep came to my job site yesterday. Brought pizza lunch for us. Talked about the surcharge increase. Talked about work and life etc. There’s a lot to be said with that. He gives me good pricing on sundries and paint. Not always the best, but pretty darn good. He will find me
products my local store doesn’t have and deliver them. He gives me insight on my local area and referrals from time to time.

Dunn Edwards, my local Ben Moore, Home Depot, etc don’t do any of that at all period. So, to me, paint is paint. I apply paint on surfaces. I try to use not only what’s available but what’s good and a good price. Not always SW, some of those other brands too. But when I have a rep that brings me lunch and gets me good pricing? Sign me up!

My SW rep is a nice guy, and has brought us subway, Gatorade on hot days etc... it's not because he likes me, it's because he wants me to buy paint.

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts

I have a great rep too. Since the shortage he's had me call or text my orders to him and scours the entire Charleston market to piece it together and delivers. Dudes been working his ass off, couldn't ask for better service especially in times like these. I've never spoken to or have even been contacted by my BM rep.

·
Monarchski
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yes, everything has gone but they just had a 7% increase 2 months back. With their outages and right after a hefty price increase not to mention I KNOW they have cut their employees benefits, it's uncalled for. It's called greed. Stop drinking the blue cool aid, it's clouding your judgment.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
SW is a huge company, on the verge of being a monopoly. Are they a monopoly?

SW is cut-throat towards their competitors, their pricing structure towards contractors is aggressive, and consumer prices are laughable (not to mention nebulous- what is the actual price? has anybody ever paid the sticker price for a gallon of Emerald? if so, what is that price today?).

Despite how I feel about the staff at the local SW (or whether they will all still be there in another couple months)...It does matter, but they are still going to raise my prices every year, and apparently this year they are going to raise it several times (despite being out of paint). I don't have to like it, and I'm certainly not going to sing their praises when they do it.

I am stuck with them. They get about half my business, and if the local paint store is forced under then they will be the only game in town.

·
Registered
Interior/Exterior Painting. Wall Paper. Residential/Commercial
16 Posts
I got the letter this weekend. Do have to admit it was a WTF? moment. Frustrating when SW is about all there is in this area, do have the big box hardware store's but have not had good experience with them. I have jobs that I bid/scheduled 6 months+ ahead of when I actually do the work. HO's do not seem to like it when you tell them the bid has gone up 7%.The past year now I have had to eat the increase in material cost because of the price increase. My rep has told me that if I need a certain material he will find it for me, but so far the store employees have done fine with getting me what I need. Not big on my rep, he likes to push all the higher priced products. On the up side my big commercial/industrial customer pays time and material so it won't affect me on those jobs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lazy managers use "surcharges". They realize that their profits were down and they calculate that to get the profits back to previous levels requires an average increase in selling price of 4%.

The lazy part is that they are probably making a really good profit on some items and making little or no profit on others.

The right way to do this is to do a cost calculation on all items and adjust as required.

So you can take this to the bank: The manager who raised the price was lazy. And this approach is stupid.

How much better would you have reacted if you read this:

Our cost of raw materials and shipping has been going up at historically high rates. On average we need to raise the price of products by 4%. But each item is different.

Over the next several weeks we will be performing cost analysis on all the items we sell. Some items will go up, and some will remain as before. In each case, we will be just passing along the actual cost increases we have experienced.

We apologize for this, but this is the 2021 new reality. Rest assured we will do all we can to stabilize our costs and as a result the price of our products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup.

It's bit offensive since they can't keep paint in stock and that's not my fault. I've had to run around town because the closest store doesn't have what I need. They should be doing more to keep MY business.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts