Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started to take on side jobs, I currently am working for a guy as a painter. I have 3 years experience but only working 40 hrs with little pay. So I decided to start some side jobs.

Here is my questions. ( please no haters, trolls, I have tried to search these answers.

1. I do not have a registered business, or business bank account. Do you think the contractor will have a problem writing me a check to my personal name?

2. After give him my estimate, shouldn't I have a contract agreement before we begin the project if chosen?

3. Do you take money upfront or all at the end.

I do plan on getting everything set up, just happen so fast I get many people calling me to do some jobs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would set up a bank account today its not that hard to do a dba account. Next thing I would do is get some insurance in place and check into to the city/state liscenses.

If your still working for the other guy and doing stuff on the side you can do contracts but they will most likely be small jobs. I personally do not do contracts on small jobs I know many will frown on that but I just do a written out estimate/scope of work and have them sign it.

You can ask for money up front but I can not imagine side jobs being big enough to need a draw. If they are than sure but if its just painting walls in a room on Saturday collect at the end of the job.

If your employer currently supplies you with tools buy a set that you only use for side jobs. That is what I did when I started doing side gigs on weekends. I did not want to ruin my bosses tools on side jobs. I just think that is the best way to do things.

I also let my boss know I was doing it. He was fine with it and actually encouraged the side work. That is a choice you will have to make on your own if you let him know or not.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I have just started to take on side jobs, I currently am working for a guy as a painter. I have 3 years experience but only working 40 hrs with little pay. So I decided to start some side jobs.

Here is my questions. ( please no haters, trolls, I have tried to search these answers.

1. I do not have a registered business, or business bank account. Do you think the contractor will have a problem writing me a check to my personal name?
Depends on where you live. In my state you can just set up a bank account in your name DBA "Company Name"

2. After give him my estimate, shouldn't I have a contract agreement before we begin the project if chosen?
YES! There are examples of contracts in the file sharing thread.

3. Do you take money upfront or all at the end.
Depends on the size of the project, but generally we do a deposit and draws up to a percentage. If you don't have cash on hand or plenty of credit accounts this is necessary for cash flow.

I do plan on getting everything set up, just happen so fast I get many people calling me to do some jobs.

Thanks in advance
Speak to an accountant about setting this up.

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
painthead,

If the contractor has hired you to paint, he must know you don't have a license. And therefore, has no choice but to pay you cash or write a check in your name, rather then to a business. And speaking of cash, are you planning on paying income tax? Because if you're not, you may be surprised to find the contractor may 1099 you.

Hope that wasn't too trolly.

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
Question to Licensed Contractors

Is a contract valid if you're not licenced to practice the business you're offering as a service?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
painthead,

If the contractor has hired you to paint, he must know you don't have a license. And therefore, has no choice but to pay you cash or write a check in your name, rather then to a business. And speaking of cash, are you planning on paying income tax? Because if you're not, you may be surprised to find the contractor may 1099 you.

Hope that wasn't too trolly.
Is a contract valid if you're not licenced to practice the business you're offering as a service?
Painthead,

John (CApainter) is from Calif, and all what he says is true for that state. Some things are different here in MA.

As others have stated, check with your state about laws of running a service business.

Many newbies come on this site and ask questions about taxes, corporations, workers comp, liability insurance, licensing, and other business specific questions. Unfortunately, any answer you receive on those topics may not apply to your state or even town.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
When we first started out our first 3-5 jobs we didn't know if it would work or even last, we did a ton of house flipper stuff for checks in our own names, he then said we needed a business account. We had to file with our city (we are based out of 2 and are registered with each city same with HIC License) To open our bank account we did have to register and get a federal tax id number (cost like $25).

Deposits our first job was a 2 day job and we did ask for a deposit, we had no money to buy materials. Some times you have no choice but to ask for a deposit on small jobs as your starting out. Big jobs we bill 3 times at 1/3 each installment.

Try to keep going to the same paint store, build a relationship, some of those guys understand hard times and may let you charge the paint for a few days until you get another check.

Insurance is a must have. Make this the first thing you get. Make sure your up to date with OSHA as well. Are you RRP certified/Licensed?

5 yrs ago I took my last 3 pay checks from my old boss (knowing I was going out on my own or with a partner) I bought a van, a bunch of ladders, some drops and the other basic tools.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate everyone awesome replies..

I now have a much better understanding. Thanks for answering my questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went and bought a new/used 20' aluminum extension ladder for $80 and tomorrow going to do a side job for $90, love how tools pay for themselves... I been needing it!

I'm sure ill be posting some questions later in the future, for now I am going to get my bank account situated hopefully Monday, then as my friend says "get yo grind on" lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I already know that I completely underbid. Got to paint 2 dormers, pretty small and not too high up.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Well, I already know that I completely underbid. Got to paint 2 dormers, pretty small and not too high up.
It's good that you already realize you underbid this one. Learn from this...otherwise PaintballHead is going to go all Darth Vader on you. :jester:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts