Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finished painting/staining this wooden home today. It is a good example of the type of work we handle a lot in summer (ie., Cedar Siding and Trim).

I under-estimated a bit, the amount of time it would take to complete. Almost every part of the exterior was painted or stained (wooden storms, doors, siding, trim, deck, screen porch...), and the siding was quite dry from previous owner neglect.

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it turned out alright :)

As a painter, I would fork over the money for vinyl or aluminum before ever doing something like this.
It was a challenging house, no doubt, but has the kind of charm you can only get in a wooden house. The new owners appreciate what they have, and understand the maintenance concerns. Nice that not everyone is going to vinyl and cement board.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fab job btw
Thanks! It was a “re-paint”. The color was already red, with a few modifications.

It was weathered, and faded, and the dry wood soaked up a lot of stain (thirsty). A lot of cutting-in required for almost everything.

Here’s a few “before” pictures that may give a better idea what was needed. Cedar typically needs to be re-stained every 7-10 years for optimal protection of siding (to prevent cupping and warping of the cedar siding).

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks awesome, what sort of prep did you do to the wood siding
Pressure wash and mildew treatment (bleach/jomax/water them rinse with clean water) - allow to dry for 2 weeks.

Then mostly just caulking of gaps and cracks. Solid Latex Stain is easy in regards to prep work, does not require much except a clean surface.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,267 Posts
Looks great @Holland. Looking at the side of the white trim where you had to cut in the body color to the trimmed sides, reminds me how lucky we are here in Oregon that, for the most part, trim is "faced-off", which is to say the trim color stops at the front edge. Maybe 5% of all the exteriors I do have the trim wrapped like yours. The sides of the trim are typically body color. Exceptions would be if it were a natural or stained body with painted trim, or maybe if it were an older home where trim details merge. You guys have it way tougher in that regard. Nice work man!

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks great @Holland. Looking at the side of the white trim where you had to cut in the body color to the trimmed sides, reminds me how lucky we are here in Oregon that, for the most part, trim is "faced-off", which is to say the trim color stops at the front edge. Maybe 5% of all the exteriors I do have the trim wrapped like yours. The sides of the trim are typically body color. Exceptions would be if it were a natural or stained body with painted trim, or maybe if it were an older home where trim details merge. You guys have it way tougher in that regard. Nice work man!
thank you, @stelzerpaintinginc.
Appreciate the comments.

Yeah, the trim was one of the things I missed in the estimate, and threw my numbers way off (in my defense I bid this job in early January). Only about 20% of homes around here are not "faced-off". Often I recommend that the customer transition to face painting the trim, but in this case they rounded the corners around the windows, so I didn't even broach the subject with the customer.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Pressure wash and mildew treatment (bleach/jomax/water them rinse with clean water) - allow to dry for 2 weeks.

Then mostly just caulking of gaps and cracks. Solid Latex Stain is easy in regards to prep work, does not require much except a clean surface.
What product on the deck? Looks great

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
The local paint store carries Cabot- we used an oil based Solid Stain.
It’s one of the few remaining products that I trust not to peel on walking surfaces. When they stop carrying that, I’m done with decks.
Yeah I've been trying to get Daly's to make a solid oil stain but they've lost their chemist so don't think I'll be seeing any new or specialty products from them for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I've been trying to get Daly's to make a solid oil stain but they've lost their chemist so don't think I'll be seeing any new or specialty products from them for a while.
It's among the last oil Solid Deck Stains that I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What's the dry time like on it?
Dry time can range from overnight to several days, depends a lot on humidity and temperature ... it can stay tacky for several days if the humidity is high.

Typically, it can be walked on (light traffic) in 48 hours. I told the homeowners to wait a week before putting furniture back on, and to wait longer before normal use, if possible (2-3 weeks should be close to full cure).
*I err on the side of caution when relaying directions to clients.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts