Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Long Island Painter
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I did an estimate for a repeat customer. She owns 2 homes. She had a kitchen fire and wants me to spray some circa 1950 metal cabinets as I did them in her other home. Last summer I gave an estimate for her main house on the exterior. I quoted doing the right job. When I arrived for the estimate I saw it was painted. The peeling paint was scraped and edges not sanded down, rust was not grinded and I am sure not properly primed, rotten wood was painted over and gaps between painted surfaces were not caulked. The painter left paint on the masonry.
I admit, this frustrates the hell out of me. She got ripped off.
She did not ask about painting the fire damage in the kitchen, so I guess she is happy with that type of cheap work. She asked if I can replace the exact platic inserts (melted) on the doors behind the handles. I explained that the cabinets are 60 years old and it may take years of searching to ever find them. "But it will not look right". Has she ever looked at her exterior.
Needless to say, I shall be spraying the cabinets and will post the photo's when I am done. Also, I raised my price $300 since I did not get the other work. No repeat bargain prices for her.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This nonsense is nothing knew Lee, but I will admit I run into it more and more. People just seem to think differently than years ago. Personally, I would be mortified to call the guy that "didn't" do the exterior, but that's just me. I guess I am old school. People want their contractors to be so reputable and ethical, but they forget their is a responsibility on the side of the customer as well. I would have done the same, hitting her a little hard on the new work for all my trouble. Free estimates aren't so bad as long as you are not wasting your time.

I am familiar with the type of cabinets you are describing. I believe they are the St. Charles cabinets which were considered high end back in their day. The people who have them think they are the ultimate. They always reminded me a little of a larger version of the original Levittown kitchen.(not that there is anything wrong with that.....)

·
Registered
589 Posts
This nonsense is nothing knew Lee, but I will admit I run into it more and more. People just seem to think differently than years ago. Personally, I would be mortified to call the guy that "didn't" do the exterior, but that's just me. I guess I am old school. People want their contractors to be so reputable and ethical, but they forget their is a responsibility on the side of the customer as well. I would have done the same, hitting her a little hard on the new work for all my trouble. Free estimates aren't so bad as long as you are not wasting your time.

I am familiar with the type of cabinets you are describing. I believe they are the St. Charles cabinets which were considered high end back in their day. The people who have them think they are the ultimate. They always reminded me a little of a larger version of the original Levittown kitchen.(not that there is anything wrong with that.....)
Wow man you know about the Levittown kitchen all the way up in NY haha no way. Those stainless steel counter tops and sinks were pretty nice though. I just painted one with just that.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Lee, I've had a couple clients do the same thing to me - give my quoted work to someone who obviously knew nothing about painting and then get me back to do something else. I made a point of discreetly pointing out the shoddy work. In one case the client just didn't see the mess she had paid for and felt really bad that she got ripped. The other customer just said oh well it's done anyway. sheesh go figure!

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I knew that too! I just couldn't see them having the same kitchens... I wonder if the same guy designed them. Don't even know if were on the same page here or not.
Sully, I had a feeling my memory was correct (I studied architecture back before wood was invented), so I checked Wikipedia to confirm, here's a quote:

The building firm, Levitt and Sons, headed by Abraham Levitt and his two sons, William and Alfred, built four planned communities called "Levittown" (in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Puerto Rico), but Levittown, New York, was the first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts