Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
12K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Bobbo 
#1 · (Edited)
This deck was in a very sad state before I got my hands on it . I power washed it using a deck wash of my own formula to get all the mildew off .Then sanded the deck 4 times with varying degrees of sandpaper grit to level off the finish . Then it was stained using Benjamin Moore's Arborcoat solid stain .

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great - a huge improvement. Been awhile since I did exterior work, especially on decks. Do the solid stains available nowadays hold up pretty well on them?

#12 · (Edited)
None of the new VOC friendly stains hold up like the stuff that was horrible for the environment . But the customer should get at least 5 to 7 good years out of it . Maybe a touch less as it is a pretty dark color and will suck up UV rays ! As for the solid stain . It was almost a necessity here to help cover all the sins of the past .

#9 ·
Some solids are good. At the risk of sounding like a California paint rep, (I swear I am not) the solid Enduradeck alkyd modified stuff is awesome. Unbelievably weather, sand and traffic resistant stuff.

Last night I wrote in another post that I had used it both on an oceanside deck in Maine and as the trim paint on the ocean facing side of the house and it looks awesome years later. Deckscapes was used before and it didn't even last a season (june-labor day) before it started to fade and wear really badly.

I still like the look of the semis better, but Enduradeck I will warranty.

#14 ·
Most of my power washing jobs are associated with exterior painting or staining jobs . I usually don't do roof p/w'ing anyway . Oh and I always do direct mail advertising in a neighborhood I'm working in . So if that Gent needed work he had my info .

#18 ·
Yeah when I pass by a house I always notice the paint and if it's in need of a power washing ...
I'd put money that was a Cabot's SPF deck stain that was on that deck.
I believe that was Benjamin Moore Arborcoat . If my memory serves me .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.