Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joy, one of the students from APTC has just started a company called "able painters" with two other students Alex and Volavola who happen to be deaf.

Joy (in the middle pictured with Alex on the left and Volavola on the right).

Joy does not see any disabilities she sees the abilities that her two friends have. As she said "Both men are good painters and will be a great asset to her new company."

So joy is not employing people with a disability. She is focused on their abilities as painters. Hence the name "Able Painters"

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Over the years I have personally trained five different painters who are deaf, another person who had autism and another that had mental illness, while one of my other students continued in the trade despite the fact he had to have his foot removed during his apprenticeship.

What they all had in common was not their disability but their extraordinary ability to meet the challenges that life throws at them and continue to move forward.

Another thing they have in common are good employers who could look past any perceived disability and see the benefit of employing these extraordinary people.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's a shame things like this need to be explained ....

I mean ... what does hearing acuity have to do with painting? That roller and brush work the same - and you inspect the work with your eyes, not your ears!

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I have trouble with depth perception, so I would never be able to do drywall texture very well. There are certainly folks smarter than I, or more athletic, or with particular aptitudes that I lack.

Alas, we have perverted our language and let the inmates run the asylum.
Select a man for a job according to his abilities, and some will claim you're "discriminating."

We've also let things develop where there's a bias in favor of saying 'no,' under the guise of what 'might' someday matter. Gee, we can't hire the deaf guy, because he 'might' someday need to hear someone shout that the building is on fire. Etc.

Better not let that Columbus guy set sail ... my map says there might be dragons out there in the ocean!

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
what do you teach them for communicating? Awesome you are training folks for painting... just curious how communication on the jobsite works. I know they say when you loose a sense, your others highten..

just curious :)

Kudos btw!
Good valid question, this is called reasonable adjustment when we assess. The participant of the assessment should be given opportunity to demonstrate that they can counter the contingency.

This is where Joy comes in, she is hearing and is able to communicate to them through signing.

The hazards not hearing presents are with them daily and are always there, someone needing to yell "get out of the way, that truck is coming" can occur on the street as much as on a job site.

We teach them to visibly look for hazards, be aware of the risk and constantly evaluate any changes that may occur. When on a site that audial warnings may be required they will need to work closely with Joy.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have a young neighbor who is deaf- and I tell you you can not pull one over on him. Not only can he sign ( to those who can understand) faster than you can spit it out, but he can lip read perfectly.
Its a bummer when you are trying to be a smart ass with him!

good kid.

And cool story PP!

·
Registered
272 Posts
speaking as a hard of hearing/deaf ( depends on if i am waring my hearing aid) and also working all sides of paint. i have learned that my hearing loss means nothing. i lost my hearing when i was 3 so i can talk and communcate with anyone. I have in the past given lectures on deaf/hard of hearing in the workplace and school, as well as teaching basic ASL to collage kids. the issue i get is when i am helping an older person who wants to talk about hearing aids and not the task at hand . it is nice to see that they can have a good bz. sadly people will amuse that they cannot paint or they will try to short them in the end i hope things work out for them.
i had a group of deaf guys try to start a paint company but they never got one job. having at lest one hearing person will help the communcation gap they did not
on a liter note there have been times when i would take out my hearing aid just so i would not have to talk to some pita's

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
- just to side track a wee bit - As my father's hearing diminished with age, his right ear became basically deaf, hearing aids couldn't help. He called it his "good" ear as that was the one toward my mother when they were driving. :whistling2:

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- just to side track a wee bit - As my father's hearing diminished with age, his right ear became basically deaf, hearing aids couldn't help. He called it his "good" ear as that was the one toward my mother when they were driving. :whistling2:
Reminds me of a joke. A man complained to his doctor that his wife seems to be hard of hearing because when he stands behind her while she is washing up and ask questions, she seem to ignor him. But the wife would deny it and refuse to go to the doctor.

So the doctor explained "Sometimes a persons hearing can be affected by other sounds such as the running water of the tap. Try this next time she is washing up, ask ""what's for dinner?"" then repeat the question again moving a metre closer each time. That way we can see how bad she is."

So the man tries this, he ask "what's for dinner?" he did this 4 or 5 times until he was right behind her. Then he heard "for crying out load Stan, for the fifth time meatloaf!!!"

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
So the man tries this, he ask "what's for dinner?" he did this 4 or 5 times until he was right behind her. Then he heard "for crying out load Stan, for the fifth time meatloaf!!!"
You've been talking the the WW haven't you ? :D

No, it's NOT me, she mumbles in a soft voice :whistling2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts