Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small town, in Canada. We only have a BM store in town. I can get overnight deliveries from a town 2 hours away, from a Cloverdale and a Sherwin Williams. I’m not liking some of the products I have to use because of convience. The Advance has too long of open time, and is finicky spraying at lower temperatures, and stays soft for weeks it seems. What are some Good products anybody has used out there to spray millwork through an air assist unit.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
New millwork... Lenmar 1wb200 undercoater and cabinet coat are hard to beat. Maybe also scuff-x.
I really like that combination. I’ve sprayed both products with airless and HVLP. I like that the wb200 is ready to spray straight from the can with HVLP. For the cabinet coat I have to cut it with a little water for HVLP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in a small town, in Canada. We only have a BM store in town. I can get overnight deliveries from a town 2 hours away, from a Cloverdale and a Sherwin Williams. I’m not liking some of the products I have to use because of convience. The Advance has too long of open time, and is finicky spraying at lower temperatures, and stays soft for weeks it seems. What are some Good products anybody has used out there to spray millwork through an air assist unit.
Glenn, you may look into the SuperKote 5000, it's Coronado's acrylic/alkyd. Faster dry time than Advance (you can recoat in 4 hours) , and it still lays down really well. It's a big hit in our market.
The Cabinet Coat is an acrylic/urethane, so not quite the same category as Advance, and having the urethane component, it still has a slower dry time.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Glenn, you may look into the SuperKote 5000, it's Coronado's acrylic/alkyd. Faster dry time than Advance (you can recoat in 4 hours) , and it still lays down really well. It's a big hit in our market.
The Cabinet Coat is an acrylic/urethane, so not quite the same category as Advance, and having the urethane component, it still has a slower dry time.

Hope this helps!
SK5000 is great and inexpensive but doesn't cover all that well. Cabinetcoat has great coverage and you can put it in the most novice of sprayers hands and it will look like a million dollar job. Hardens up nicely even in for example a deep candy red. As far as dry and recoat times they are similar 4- 6 hours.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've not used Emerald UTE in deep base, but in white satin and semi it's pretty good, and very Advance-like. I find it like Advance that's easier to work with and dries faster. Only downside is like most SW products it's definitely grayed out, so color accuracy/it being a nice bright white is less than Advance. Satin too imo is more like a matte, whereas Advance satin has more sheen. Adhesion and all that seems great, though.

I'm gonna get some hate for sure, but when I used the older Behr WB Alkyd I found it super similar to Advance, actually smellier, though. Stuck well to oil based painted metal and leveled super nice and looked sprayed on MDF doors I used it on. Now there's a new Behr WB Alkyd that seems to be a bootleg Emerald Urethane that is "urethane fortified" and the dry time is 4-6 hours vs the old one I used having a 14-16 hour recoat time like Advance. Itching to try that one day, but no particular reason to now. Could suck or be great, but the old one was VERY similar to Advance, almost an exact knockoff.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hope this helps!
Cabinet Coat has a 6 hour recoat time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have used Cabinet coat, Advance, Emerald Urethane Trim enamel, and scuff-x. I have not loved the cabinet coat as durability in the long run seems to be marginal. Scuff-x Satin undoubtedly has the best finish sprayed, just make sure you have an heavy coating or it dries with some texture. When brushing/rolling small projects. I have found the Emerald Urethane to have a flawless finish if the correct brush and nap are used. (We rolled a navy trim peice on a fume hood at eye level and it looked definitively sprayed)

Also may want to look in to the Renner WB 1245 coating. It is typically used for cabinets, but I could see it working well on built-ins and very fine millwork.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
Okay sprayed out 20:doors including two 4 ‘ wide ones all solid core. That BM suffix sprayed awesome. Used an air assist at about 1000 psi with 15 psi air. They turned out like glass.
I really do like the ScuffX. Although I find it feels funny to the touch, almost slippery like silicone. Anyone else find that.? Really bizarre stuff. Has it been rated for cabinets yet?. That's my only fear. Who's going to back you up if it doesn't stand up to hand oils etc...i have been using it on spindles, trim and shelving though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts