Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use oil primers under your hybrid product of choice? In the past when I tried this I got air bubbles. Someone told me today that if you wait a few days the oil will stop "off gassing" and this won't be a problem. Thoughts?

The reason I don't like using the recommended water based primer is that it raises the grain on MDF.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Advance is based on an alkyd dispersion. Any running is due to it's superior leveling. On MDF it would be a bad choice do to the slow kick off of water. MDF swells by contact with water and time of contact.

Look at what us chemists are doing with the w/b lacquer under-coaters.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
We just did a mdf millpack using advance primer under advance satin. We sanded mdf fact primer with orbitals, prime and hand sand advance primer wirh 220 wrapped around a sponge. Two coats of advance. Builder wanted a B+ quality but it came out damn smooth (side lighted too).

Millpack before that a different builder wanted a A grade quality but didn't let us orbital factory mdf primer (builder said factory mdf was already smooth including the nail holes). He also told us to barely sand our primer too, we sanded way more than he wanted us to.
We used advance satin over bm enamel undercoater and it felt smooth but side lighted it sucked compared to the "B" pack.

The advance primer sanded nicely actually once you get warmed up to it and not just trying to scuff sand. Also I think the advance primer dried pretty quickly.

I do want to try new products, especially the wb lacquer undercoater. Would that be kem aqua surfacer?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Do you guys use oil primers under your hybrid product of choice? In the past when I tried this I got air bubbles. Someone told me today that if you wait a few days the oil will stop "off gassing" and this won't be a problem. Thoughts?

The reason I don't like using the recommended water based primer is that it raises the grain on MDF.

Thanks!
To address your post more directly.. I (we) have used sw easy sand (hated it!) under pro classic non hybrid, waited about 4 days, maybe 5 after priming and had issues with fish eye in topcoats despite many people saying that should work fine. SW hq said it was a bad batch of pro classic. After wet sanding and covering it with solo, it was better but not great.
Millpack before last we did alkyd enamel undercoater, sanded the next two days and coated with Advance and had no problem whatsoever, I think it could be a crap-shoot.

Just today, we primed plastic/fiberglass doors with stix which claims to be for that situation, we had fish eye immediately. We sanded and coated with eggplant color aura and they turned out good surprisingly. Does anyone know did we mess up by scuffing the plastic first? Because we felt they needed it...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There may have some residual wax or other sealant on the surface. This point is moot if you cleaned surface after sanding, which you may have. This also depends on what you clean with, of course.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That's a good point, and maybe we will do this for the next batch of doors. We did tack cloth them which I was leary about but I did it super lightly. the one door that was mdf had no traces of fish eye so I deduce it was the plastic... anyways they look good.

·
Painting Contractor
4,070 Posts
I have found that the really sticky tack cloths can leave behind some of the residue and cause issues. We usually open them up completely and let them dry before using them.

We don't use tack cloths under wb coatings. Asking for trouble imo. I use microfiber cloths or slightly damp rags
And in the words of nick "but hey, what do I know?"

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Are these hybrids actually hybrids at all? They seem to behave like any other acrylic. I haven't tried advance, but PC and Promar 200 doesn't sand like an oil at all after curing.

I would like for a hybrid to be everything an oil is besides clean-up.
I think it was ShermanMoore that pointed out that the SW hybrid is actually a blend of acrylic and alkyd while BM's Advance is a water dispersed alkyd with no acrylic involved. That's what I gathered from it.

But I don't make 'em, I just put 'em, so as Nick has said lately, "what do I know". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think it was ShermanMoore that pointed out that the SW hybrid is actually a blend of acrylic and alkyd while BM's Advance is a water dispersed alkyd with no acrylic involved. That's what I gathered from it.

But I don't make 'em, I just put 'em, so as Nick has said lately, "what do I know". :thumbsup:
The BM dealer in town offered to demo a gallon of Advance. Does this stuff powder when you sand it?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The BM dealer in town offered to demo a gallon of Advance. Does this stuff powder when you sand it?
If you're referring to the Advance primer, I couldn't say. I've never used it.
I have had to sand the Advance S/G on cabinet doors to correct some imperfections in the wood and it did feather in okay.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
It does after its cured. In between coats I've been having the most luck wet sanding. Heavy dry sanding it tends to roll up unless you wait a looong time.

Give it a shot, you'll probably like it. I love the stuff myself, flows out super nice and sprays like a dream.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts