Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,630 Posts
what you can do is a tack coat. A super light coat, then a regular coat few minutes later. what you gotta remember is that its technically an alkyd, which takes oxygenation to harden, so while it might dry fast, if you recoat too soon, the first coat doesnt get a chance to cure, so it will stay soft for a long time, just like an oil.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what you can do is a tack coat. A super light coat, then a regular coat few minutes later. what you gotta remember is that its technically an alkyd, which takes oxygenation to harden, so while it might dry fast, if you recoat too soon, the first coat doesnt get a chance to cure, so it will stay soft for a long time, just like an oil.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Table Wood Floor Flooring Shelving

If patience is not your best attribute, then get away from the alkyds. If you're in BM paints then go to Scuff-X. You also didn't say enough about the barstools. All wood? Any metal? Suggestions will change depending.
I shouldn’t have said barstool. It’s like the kind I had at the breakfast bar at my old house. It’s just a regular wood stool that you sit on, not a footstool.
It’s one that was factory painted red when my customer bought it. It won’t get used a lot. They’re in a five year house and it is spray painted with Advance on the trim and doors, and she wants to match the finish and color. She already had the paint, and she is partial to Advance, seemed like the way to go. You all are right. It is nice to spray.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
super confusing now!!!
really!!!
in your original OP you are talking about a bar stool

yet now you are talki

honestly man,
i don't think you are a professinal painter
the way you are formulating your questions and your responses
gives me a very strong vibes that you are a just a DIY
Go back and read my bio. Except for experience with airbrush doing murals, the area of spraying is new to me. If you’re going to use the site perhaps you may want to develop some social skills.

· Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
super confusing now!!!
really!!!

yet now you are talki

honestly man,
For a guy who's been on this forum for literally less than a week, I think calling out another member on their skill set is a little beyond your credibility at this point. If you intend to continue posting on here, I'd tone it down a lot or that option won't be available to you. Thank you in......Advance.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,410 Posts
lol
using Advance on bar stools
I bet it was dark color too loaded with pigments, lol
were the bar stools bare wood before you applied Adv to it, or covered with some other product?
are you aware of long curing time of Adv before people can put their fat assesss on it? lol

why did you decided on Adv for bar stools, lol ?
bm and shw have much more suitable products for this project
most professional would never choose Advance for bar stool, unless there is a 3-4 weeks of curing times, at minimum
Which product would you use?

· Registered
1,559 Posts
For a guy who's been on this forum for literally less than a week, I think calling out another member on their skill set is a little beyond your credibility at this point. If you intend to continue posting on here, I'd tone it down a lot or that option won't be available to you. Thank you in......Advance.
Not only on the forum for leas than a week, but with ZERO intro. I smell a troll...

· Premium Member
271 Posts
super confusing now!!!
really!!!

yet now you are talki

honestly man,
Your responses gives me a very strong vibe that you are a just a DIY bully.

Lighten up bro...not everybody knows everything...and it takes time to learn how to write an effective post on PT...At least for me it was...
I know I've asked some questions on PT that were probably very basic to others, that could have included more information so as not to unleash the low etiquette of others.

· Registered
3,630 Posts
super confusing now!!!
really!!!

yet now you are talki

honestly man,
This you? :ROFLMAO:

"are benjamin moore paints really worth the very high price?
we exclusively use hd behr and shw and never had any problems with them
discounts at hd and shw are great and average customer can't tell the difference
why some painters use overpriced paints is a big mystery to us"

· Registered
304 Posts

· Registered
4,503 Posts
16 hours to recoat? I’ve been waiting 8 hours as specified by Benjamin Moore.

Oops! I see now that spec is for white only. Conveniently, B-M does not provide guidance for dark colors.(n)

White dries relatively quickly and cures quite hard (after a week). Dark colors cure slower and the hardness disappoints me, even after curing for several weeks.
That's tds for primer... Check out centurion 2800 series 1K urethane. Passes fingernail 12 hours dark coloy

· Registered
213 Posts
I just used advance high gloss for a cabinet job. Customer spec'd the product. It's what she likes and insisted for new unfinished cabinets. Base 1 color. For final coat, I sprayed the backs, let them sit on the rack through the whole following day plus a half day before I flipped them, and they still stuck to the rack a little. Left a faint line on the back of the door. Let them sit for 3 days before I installed them. After 3 days, I could handle them no problem, and they did look pretty sharp. SLOW product to work with!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts