Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share this one. Normally for my repaints I've been using Advance. This particular project I also sprayed 2 coats of Saman Clear waterbased Poly on top. Turned out fantastic, but super stressful with little lint bits and chucks in the clear coat. Very hard to touchup if any imperfections. Dark colours are always problamatic as well because of the the blocking time and rack marks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I love how smooth and uniform your cabinets look! I would like to learn how to achieve that.

Did you say you put a clear poly over a white cabinet?

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love how smooth and uniform your cabinets look! I would like to learn how to achieve that.

Did you say you put a clear poly over a white cabinet?
Yes I did. Was very stressful though, every little lint hair shows up like a sore thumb. Probably won't do it again on white cabs. Definitely on the dark ones though. All done with an airless setup.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Yes I did. Was very stressful though, every little lint hair shows up like a sore thumb. Probably won't do it again on white cabs. Definitely on the dark ones though. All done with an airless setup.
what tip are you using, and are you thinning the paint?
Looks good!

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what tip are you using, and are you thinning the paint?
Looks good!
308 or 310 fflp. No thinning required with an airless. Honestly Advance does all the work. It levels like crazy. This was a water based Poly on top for the record. An oil based or hybrid would surely yellow..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Super job!
I would like to mention though that if you are going to clear coat ; General Finishes milk paint in their dark colors dries really fast. (At least with my hvlp) Then clear coat in about 2 to 4 hours. Yes it is just as well a pain to touch up.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Super job!
I would like to mention though that if you are going to clear coat ; General Finishes milk paint in their dark colors dries really fast. (At least with my hvlp) Then clear coat in about 2 to 4 hours. Yes it is just as well a pain to touch up. View attachment 110912
Thanks Mug. Interesting, I would never have considered a Milk paint. Is that what that is? Sprayed? with Clear? Wrought Iron?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Mug. Interesting, I would never have considered a Milk paint. Is that what that is? Sprayed? with Clear? Wrought Iron?
They just call it a milk paint because if the characteristics of the finish. Check out Generalfinishes.com
It was sprayed with the Graco 9.5 and a clear coat was added yes.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
They just call it a milk paint because if the characteristics of the finish. Check out Generalfinishes.com
It was sprayed with the Graco 9.5 and a clear coat was added yes.
And to think I used to make my own milk paint/casein distempers for historic restorations and brush out all the plaster walls & ceilings in entire homes with it (no rollers allowed) as well as all the wood trim. What I don’t get is why use milk paint if it’s getting clear coated??...although the work in your pic looks great!

What’s up with dark blue cabinets lately? I did 3 sets of blue cabinets the past couple of years..

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
And to think I used to make my own milk paint/casein distempers for historic restorations and brush out all the plaster walls & ceilings in entire homes with it (no rollers allowed) as well as all the wood trim. What I don’t get is why use milk paint if it’s getting clear coated??...although the work in your pic looks great!

What’s up with dark blue cabinets lately? I did 3 sets of blue cabinets the past couple of years..
GF is not even real milk paint, its acrylic. Basically its 'chalk' paint. It does spray and brush nicely though

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even some water based poly can cause white paints to yellow
I've tested Saman on Advance already with success, but fingers crossed. It sure added a nice candy hard coating, but not sure I'll do it again in the future..

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Its in style dude! 😎😎.

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
Finished a 40 door kitchen in black today. Seriously considered going over it it a clear coat because I'm afraid of marring issues. My ppg dealer assured me that it'll be fine without but I have reservations. Came out great though.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Looks awesome. I guess dark cabs are just in these days. I assume it was Breakthrough? You'll find out before long if marring is a problem!

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished a 40 door kitchen in black today. Seriously considered going over it it a clear coat because I'm afraid of marring issues. My ppg dealer assured me that it'll be fine without but I have reservations. Came out great though.
View attachment 110920 View attachment 110921 View attachment 110922 View attachment 110923
Ya , looks fantastic.! I imagine the Breakthrough 250 blocking time is much better than Advance especially in dark colours. Wish I could get my hands on some. I sleep better at night knowing I clearcoated those ones.😅 Is that real brick?

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
Looks awesome. I guess dark cabs are just in these days. I assume it was Breakthrough? You'll find out before long if marring is a problem!
Yup v50 Breakthrough. I've used it in black before on on hand rails at my own house and a clients but never on cabinets. Done a bunch of kitchen islands in real dark colors and never had an issue, but never at this scale.

If marring becomes an issue I'll pull them all and go over it with clear Breakthrough, hope that doesn't happen but I am scheduled for the beginning of February to do all the downstairs trim so I'll correct it then if need be. I would have done it anyway before hand but my dealer assured that it wouldn't be a problem and I couldn't get my hands on the clear fast enough, they only had gloss in stock. We'll see..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts