Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do most people focus on advertising. I just setup ads on yellowbook.com and yellowpages.com websites..I have about a week to setup an ad for the print version of the verizon yellowpages and am trying to decide on the size ad i want. The prices vary from 30-400/month for 1/4 page size ad.

I dont have a website yet, and could use some help on getting one made.

What about direct advertising to real estate agents and property mangers. How do you guys contact them? Do you walk right in their offices? do you call them up?

There are 1000's of homes for sale in my area. I was thinking of dropping by some open houses on weekends and introducing myself to the agents.

Any advertising help would be great. And the cheaper the better!

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
where do most people focus on advertising. I just setup ads on yellowbook.com and yellowpages.com websites..I have about a week to setup an ad for the print version of the verizon yellowpages and am trying to decide on the size ad i want. The prices vary from 30-400/month for 1/4 page size ad.

I dont have a website yet, and could use some help on getting one made.

What about direct advertising to real estate agents and property mangers. How do you guys contact them? Do you walk right in their offices? do you call them up?

There are 1000's of homes for sale in my area. I was thinking of dropping by some open houses on weekends and introducing myself to the agents.

Any advertising help would be great. And the cheaper the better!

Thanks
Get a website...get a website...get a website.

You can design your own for a small amount. It is a great resource for people to look at the work you do. Cut back on the size of the ad and highlight your website address in the ad. If you are in a time crunch for the phonebook, go to godaddy.com and at least reserve a domain name so you can add that to your ad. You can always design your website in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
1/4 page adds will add up real quick. Try going down to business card size ads to save ALOT of money. Get your website address on there & then don't waste no time getting the site up & running.

Example of 2 of our local papers costs...
1/4 Page: $536 a month
Business Card Size: $144 a month

1/4 Page: $664 a month
Business Card Size: $176 a month

·
Registered
11 Posts
Marketing to Realtors

Hey Flashme18,

I'm a realtor in central Toronto and sell 40-50 homes a year, I also have a new painting business with my long term painter and his crew. We are TopCoat Painters Inc. I met my business partner at one of the homes I was about to list 10 years ago, their work was the best I had seen and their service level was equal to my own (a high standard). I'm not deviating from selling Real estate with TopCoat but rather see it is a natural extension of my existing business in that so many of my clients have used my partner's services in the last decade. Now that we are about to launch the marketing next week (that is my job), I will be direct mailing and emailing my many contacts in the real estate industry. I expect good response from my colleagues in real estate based on my dealings with them over the years. However I will tell you that my inbox and letterbox at the office is inundated with flyers, letters and trades of all kinds. Like many of us, we ignore those without visual appeal or a strong message or a referral that we can trust. Many of these flyers are cheap quality without any originality. Dropping in on a Realtor's Open House is time consuming and you are imposing on their time right when they are working hard at achieving their client's objective...selling the house. I would find out the top third of productive Realtors in your marketplace, assuming you are concentrating geographically, and send them a package that is concise and to the point. Let them know you want the business of the clients in the same area you both concentrate. Say you will follow-up with a phone call and do it. If the phone call doesn't work, send an email. Be as mobile as a realtor and ensure that you have a Blackberry or other device where you can be reached and provide a quick response. We as realtors are used to being reached "on the fly" and thus if we can have the same interaction with a tradesperson there is a high likelihood we will refer that person. Good Luck and I hope this helps!

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
The phone book is expensive and nets few jobs relative to its cost. Do a small ad like JNLP recommends. Websites only work if you have picked out the right words and phrases to be pulled up on the search engines in your area, or if you have generated traffic somehow. SEO ain't cheap. That said, a website is a great place to send people who find you in your other forms of advertising. They can learn about you, see your work, and here your message in ways that are un-affordable through phone books and business cards.

Offer to do a free or charity job, and alert the local media/newspapers about it. Use the clips or film on your website and in your presentation package. (You do have a presentation package?)

Everytime you do a job, go around the area and either put out door hangers, or even knock on the door and introduce yourself. Let them know you are working at the neighbors. (kind of an indirect referal)

door hangers here;
http://www.door-hangers-direct.com/drprint.htm
http://www.psprint.com/printing_products/door-hangers.asp
http://www.3000doorhangers.com/

Here's the cheap:

Craigslist- here's a free service, and you can direct them to your website.

Doorhangers

Advertising in the local magazine. Business card ad in my area is only $40 per month.

Hope this help a little.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
The phone book is expensive and nets few jobs relative to its cost. Do a small ad like JNLP recommends.
I have run a display ad and a bold listing in the same book for 2 different companies. The bold listing was by far the better investment. It was actually a pretty good ROI.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
For phone books I stick to small distribution books in my target area and utilize in column ads. I spend $150 a month for 3 listings and the ROI is excellent. 35:1

·
Registered
4 Posts
The phone book is expensive and nets few jobs relative to its cost. Do a small ad like JNLP recommends. Websites only work if you have picked out the right words and phrases to be pulled up on the search engines in your area, or if you have generated traffic somehow. SEO ain't cheap. That said, a website is a great place to send people who find you in your other forms of advertising. They can learn about you, see your work, and here your message in ways that are un-affordable through phone books and business cards.

Offer to do a free or charity job, and alert the local media/newspapers about it. Use the clips or film on your website and in your presentation package. (You do have a presentation package?)

Everytime you do a job, go around the area and either put out door hangers, or even knock on the door and introduce yourself. Let them know you are working at the neighbors. (kind of an indirect referal)

door hangers here;

Here's the cheap:

Doorhangers

Advertising in the local magazine. Business card ad in my area is only $40 per month.

Hope this help a little.
BikerBoy is on to something in regards to the charity work. We did a "Bicycle Roundup" last Christmas by sending a press release to both of our local rags. To my surprise, they both ran with it, featured our company, and the best part was we collected over 70 bikes for underprivileged youth! It also led to at least 2 deals, and great PR.

I have to disagree about th SEO thing though. While SEO for Realtors is in fact very expensive, SEO for paint companies is relatively inexpensive due to the lack of competition (in SEO terms, not # of contractors). In fact you can do much of the work yourself, for free.

SEO tip: place a link to your website in your signature on this forum, you'll be increasing your rankings every time you post. Even better, put your keywords in the link (see my sig.) to get credit for those keywords.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
BikerBoy is on to something in regards to the charity work. We did a "Bicycle Roundup" last Christmas by sending a press release to both of our local rags. To my surprise, they both ran with it, featured our company, and the best part was we collected over 70 bikes for underprivileged youth! It also led to at least 2 deals, and great PR.

I have to disagree about th SEO thing though. While SEO for Realtors is in fact very expensive, SEO for paint companies is relatively inexpensive due to the lack of competition (in SEO terms, not # of contractors). In fact you can do much of the work yourself, for free.

SEO tip: place a link to your website in your signature on this forum, you'll be increasing your rankings every time you post. Even better, put your keywords in the link (see my sig.) to get credit for those keywords.

A few here (self included) did away with having a link to our site here. What happened (in my case) was that somebody(again self) searches your company, and they get a link to a post on Paint Talk. Of course it is not a big deal if you behave all the time, but I don't.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
A few here (self included) did away with having a link to our site here. What happened (in my case) was that somebody(again self) searches your company, and they get a link to a post on Paint Talk. Of course it is not a big deal if you behave all the time, but I don't.

Ditto.

And, even if you behave, you may end up with your post sitting among an elite group - http://www.painttalk.com/showthread.php?t=2620

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts

door hangers here;

Here's the cheap:

Doorhangers

Hope this help a little.
Would ya know where I can get some door angers today at a national store, I would ike to get some Out tomorrow.
Thanks BPTL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand completely, guess that's not very good. Instead, you might try using keywords in your link text, but keep the link pointing towards your site(www.yoursite.com).

This tells Google, etc., that your site (www.yoursite) is about those keywords, for example & should help you in the rankings - especially if you have a good bit of posts on here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts