Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hi nuview

one of the things we did about 3 yrs ago after painting a huge factory overlooking highway #1 in Vancouver was to put up a banner of our company with just the name and number on the side of the building closest to the highway.... you could see this banner in plain view...completely unobstructed..from both directions of traffic...i had my foreman put it up the day before we got the boom off site and told him to put so many nails around the perimeter of the vinyl banner that it would never come down..

it stayed up for 3 yrs in full view of 100's of thousands of people every day..day after day...rain or shine...with no cost except for the banner itself

i kept expecting the company we did the work for to call me and ask us to take it down but they never did

it only came down when an advertising agency specializing in banner advertising started using that premium spot as a paid spot...

virtually every other customer we get mentions that they saw that banner..

rick
hey Rick thanks thats also another good idea ..banners!!, since I've put this post up I've gotten so many good ideas...Im flooded and AMPED up bout getting out to do this...lol sounds funny but im siked:yes:

·
Banned
12 Posts
hey Rick thanks thats also another good idea ..banners!!, since I've put this post up I've gotten so many good ideas...Im flooded and AMPED up bout getting out to do this...lol sounds funny but im siked:yes:
hey Nu

right on man...getting a brand out there really gets me amped as well...

we're really *promoters* first i think....then painters...although its better to learn the painting first.......i think...
:confused1:
regards
rick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Kurt

Do you target the same address' repeatedly or hit all different ones with your PC's?
My name is Joe. Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors. That's a quote of his. Sorry to mislead ;)

Anyway, we target two different sets of zip codes, two or three zip codes each. Then alternate between the two lists every four weeks. It's just one of the strategies we came up with. Patrick, (aka mailman) from PainterzMail, and I are working on a new type of campaign for the next few weeks, with a new card. 4x6 full color this time... We'll see how it goes.

it stayed up for 3 yrs in full view of 100's of thousands of people every day..day after day...rain or shine...with no cost except for the banner itself
rick
That is an awesome story! But I would guess it would be very hard to replicate it as a marketing strategy. Banners are a great idea though.

On Junk mail

From our company's Environmental Policies:

Marketing

- There will be no flyers, door hangers, postcards, printed newsletters, or any other mass distributed junk mail used by our company.
George,
I wish I could get away from all the printed material. When we do any of those you listed I get a twinge of anger thinking how much of it will just be thrown away and end up in a landfill...

But for now I think those have to be a necessary evil for my company. When I am getting over 100 leads per month from my website, I won't need to do any other advertiseing...

·
Banned
12 Posts
That is an awesome story! But I would guess it would be very hard to replicate it as a marketing strategy. Banners are a great idea though.
hey abode..long time.

i guess it depends on where you live..

i live in a metropolis...so you can tag just about anything....its a guerilla aspect more known in cities then rural.

im about to blatanly tag a very large area in this style with a new brand we just purchased...the brand goes right to the cortex and is remembered forever...

we just see the spaces we want to tag and then do it...

illegal but effective..

rick

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
I wish I could get away from all the printed material. When we do any of those you listed I get a twinge of anger thinking how much of it will just be thrown away and end up in a landfill...
But for now I think those have to be a necessary evil for my company. When I am getting over 100 leads per month from my website, I won't need to do any other advertiseing
I am not being preachy at all.
We need to do what we need to do and I have done my share.
Targeted mail (direct) is better, mailing lists the same.
Jobsite Marketing, nice re-usable lawn signs.

I don't think the small contractor is the big culprit,
we are just spoiled here in Toronto, and we have a choice.

Besides, anyone that likes "Dreams" is good people...lol...

·
Registered
52 Posts
input

So... I wonder how much the response increases with Jumbo cards verses regular post cards?

Mailman... got any input?
Not too much response rate data for oversized vs. regular sized. Not many customers want the regular sized because they cost the same as the oversized. The lower printing costs for the smaller postcards is offset by the lower Postage costs for the oversized postcards...so it's kinda a wash.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Im working on a full color post card front an back right now... an maybe a refrigerator magnet depends on the cost and im gonna pin point the wealthier neighborhoods first...

George im sorry that my 10lbs of junk mail that i will contribute to the environment will be put to good use.. but looking at the millions that people create everyday ...an not even think about it...I have to do me!!, do i think bout the environment ...YES all the time, does it suck that the government doesnt give us a way out..YES it does.just like the Gas issue they tell us where addicted to OIL... Supply and Demand if they would some other source of energy we would have to use it..I cant stand that government blames us as consumers.. they should come down on the people that make it the only thing we can use to survive.. if OIL was gone tomorrow..they would come up with some thing the next day...but untill they the government and greedy oil company's deplete the Earth from its natrual resorces for there pocket book where under the mercy of them.
.. hey thanks for the comment... but i will use recycled paper

·
Registered
61 Posts
Word of Mouth is the Best by all means. Cold Calling is not bad either. During my start up last Spring, I spent some time Cold Calling. Its Free and as long as you can talk like you have some sense, you can land some work.

-- Always stay on top of your existing customers with letters, phone calls and Holiday Cards.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I keep a very limited amount of business cards at a few strategic SW stores in Overland Park who only fly cards for contractors they trust, and rely on word of mouth.
Overland Park K.S. is a 5 minute drive from my house and the potential to bid too many jobs and get all of them is too massive for a 1 man operation. I am overworked at the moment because of referrals alone, forget about advertising.

BTW, I highly recommend moving here if you are going broke wherever you are now.

:thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
My advertising costs last year were under $15. Business card stock. I dont want to advertise other than cards, truck signs, and yard signs. I've been very fortunate to have mostly a referral based business, 2 GC's, and an insurance co to work for. Keeps me plenty busy and during the "season", busier still. Someone in another thread said it was the Holy Grail to be able to do business like that. Not sure if thats the term I would use, but it took a lot of years and determination to get to this point. Glad I'm at that point though.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Hey isn't Casey there now? Drives a little black Scion?
Ah, Casey.
Man that kid was by FAR the best SW employee I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and I have been to many SW's all over America.
Attentive, remembered your name and just the right amount of eager beaver to make you feel special.

because i am special...right?

Unfortunately he has been moved to another location in north KC.
He is the assistant manager, and he deserves it.

:yes:

I can see he left a positive impression with you too.
My home store has been moved to Blue Ridge at State Line, Meredith is the new eye candy...'er Manager there.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts