Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I'm in the process of starting up a company focusing on interior repaints and I'm meeting with a Sherwin Williams rep tomorrow to start an account. My question is what paints do you recommend and why. I want to have 3 tiers of paint prices to propose to my customers to meet their needs.

From my own experience my thoughts are:

Ceilings-Promar 400 ( this is what I'm used to maybe not the best)

Walls- Promar 200 for lower priced jobs

Super paint for mid range? And for better coverage on hard color changes?

Duration for Hi end? I don't really love Emerald so maybe even considering BMs Aura for Hi End.

Trim/doors: my old company used ASE and I don't really love it.

Considering proclassic alykd but never used it. Was wondering the price difference and if it is worth it.

I've seen people use super paint on trim and even promar 200 semi gloss. But I don't really have the experience to know if this is a terrible idea. In my mind it seems like a terrible idea lol.

Anyways let me know your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I'm in the process of starting up a company focusing on interior repaints and I'm meeting with a Sherwin Williams rep tomorrow to start an account. My question is what paints do you recommend and why. I want to have 3 tiers of paint prices to propose to my customers to meet their needs.

From my own experience my thoughts are:

Ceilings-Promar 400 ( this is what I'm used to maybe not the best)

Walls- Promar 200 for lower priced jobs

Super paint for mid range? And for better coverage on hard color changes?

Duration for Hi end? I don't really love Emerald so maybe even considering BMs Aura for Hi End.

Trim/doors: my old company used ASE and I don't really love it.

Considering proclassic alykd but never used it. Was wondering the price difference and if it is worth it.

I've seen people use super paint on trim and even promar 200 semi gloss. But I don't really have the experience to know if this is a terrible idea. In my mind it seems like a terrible idea lol.

Anyways let me know your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers

Regal, Ben, Ultraspec500. Check out some of the competition and thank your self later.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've not been happy with any SW paint for ceilings. Emminence just doesn't cut it. PM 400 is ok. It IS a dead flat which is good. I mostly use SuperPaint Satin and it's a good mid-grade, workhorse type paint. I avoid Duration and Emerald (except the flat), they are simply overrated IMO. I use a lot of ProClassic Waterborne and it's comparable to Advance, but just not as good. It does level out nice and provides that shiny, hard, beautiful white that everyone loves for trim and doors these days. It's pricey so warn your customers ahead of time.

Cashmere is good stuff at SW but the sheens are way off. Low-Lustre is shinier than Semi-gloss and the Pearl finish is close to being Satin. Otherwise, it goes on buttery smooth and is pretty good stuff. Make sure your rep gives you contractor pricing. They can be rather stingy about that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot about cashmere, I haven't used the stuff though. I have painted a lot with Opulence at the old company mainly doing matte finishes. It was nice for new construction, but I think eg shel and similar Sheens should be going on walls for repaints. Thanks for the in put I'll definitely ask for contractor pricing.

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,773 Posts
if you dealing with:

homeowners:
use anything sherwin williams, homeowners think they are god, store on every corner & 40% off sales all the time, but beware SW is a rabbit hole

GC's: PPG, great products, fair price and GC's are looking only at numbers

Building a company name?
Benjamin Moore delivers quality

they all have good & bad products, learn you market, you can make money doing production work painting rentals or painting high dollar homes ... find your niche

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll be looking into the other stores for sure but like you said there are a lot of SW in my neighborhood and I'm used to some of there products and have personal connections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From sw, when we used it, this is our list

Lower end
Ceilings: CHB it’s dead flat we used this on all jobs unless specified.

Walls: sherscrub eggshell

Trim: pro classic latex. Also, we used this on all jobs. We had great luck with it

Higher end walls we would bump up to cashmere or duration.

Exterior we used a lot of super paint and toward the end started using emerald.

Now we use exclusively Ben Moore. Ultra spec on walls for basic jobs. Regal on higher end. Coronado super kite 5000 high build on ceilings and rust cat on most all trim unless they want advance or an oil base

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
For ceilings I use masterhide but that's a regional product, from what I've gathered it's much like chb.

Walls I pretty much stick to either SuperPaint or Cashmere unless otherwise specified. They're the same price and depending on the sheen desired I use one or the other. If they want a satin/eggshell finish I use SuperPaint velvet (I don't like the satin) and for a flat finish I go with Cashmere Flat Enamel.

I don't like to play with Promar 200 or cheaper even on lower end jobs. I find the money saved on the materials is spent on the labor required to apply it especially if there's a bigger color change.

For trim my go-to mid grade is Cashmere medium luster. Super easy to work with and has a nice finish to it. For higher end stuff I use either Proclassic acrylic Semi or the Proindustrial water-based Alkyd Urethane Enamel. Lately I'm partial to the pro industrial because I find it a little easier to work with and I like the finish better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the same set of problems from sherwin, but i still use them for some things. Ceiling paint isn't good compared to others at same price point, (i use coronado final touch). I too like cashmere for a medium paint, but for lower grade paint i usually use ppg products or ultraspec 500. High end paint i would prefer to use regal, but SW gives me duration $7 a gallon cheaper so i use it despite my knowing it isn't as good as regal. I currently put emerald urethane on trim high end or PI Multi-surface Acrylic medium and lower. Gonna need to play the paint companies against each other, they aren't gonna give much in the beginning. They will try make you feel like they are going to bend over backwards to help you get going (this is Bull****), don't buy in and shop around. SHERWIN will be happy to make you their paint slave. POST some of the prices they quote you, we ll be happy to give some input./

·
Registered
305 Posts
Of the big three, SW is pretty much the worst, but you can skate by with their products, since everyone else does.

For low to mid range jobs I think ProMar 200 is fine. People like to knock it, but I've used it on countless commercial jobs and even quite a few higher end jobs *by customer or GC spec* and it worked as well as SuperPaint but went on a little nicer, IMO. From what I've been told by a few former SW reps, SuperPaint is essentially ProMar but with a thickening agent, primarily talc, to give it that heavy feel that people associate with quality paint. In my experience, it doesn't cover any better than ProMar.

For higher end homes, I like Duration. I know some people here don't care for it, but it's the only SW product that I would actually use in my own home.

ProClassic water based is the only good option for trim, in my humble opinion. But it has a small learning curve because it likes to sag and run if you're not careful. I got burned once after getting used to MCuralo/California Ultra and then using this and had a number of runs in a room I did. Once you get used to it, it's a nice product. Can't touch Ultra though.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Don't.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Of the big three, SW is pretty much the worst, but you can skate by with their products, since everyone else does.

For low to mid range jobs I think ProMar 200 is fine. People like to knock it, but I've used it on countless commercial jobs and even quite a few higher end jobs *by customer or GC spec* and it worked as well as SuperPaint but went on a little nicer, IMO. From what I've been told by a few former SW reps, SuperPaint is essentially ProMar but with a thickening agent, primarily talc, to give it that heavy feel that people associate with quality paint. In my experience, it doesn't cover any better than ProMar.

For higher end homes, I like Duration. I know some people here don't care for it, but it's the only SW product that I would actually use in my own home.

ProClassic water based is the only good option for trim, in my humble opinion. But it has a small learning curve because it likes to sag and run if you're not careful. I got burned once after getting used to MCuralo/California Ultra and then using this and had a number of runs in a room I did. Once you get used to it, it's a nice product. Can't touch Ultra though.
Perfectly said.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
In a nutshell, if you want or need to over pay SW to help market your business than by all means use their product. But in reality how far will that get you when every other painter is doing the same thing? If you feel that it is best for your business to distinguish it from your competitors and not rely on just pricing to sell your services (it is!), than go somewhere else. Like Ben Moore, Pratt & Lambert, CALIFORNIA, etc. Hell even PPG gives you a much better product for the money. At the very least use those other paint companies (PPG in particular) to help keep SW's pricing and very spotty service in check.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Get accounts at all the big three. Dont limit yourself to SW. Once you see how bad they jack their prices up, you'll have a different opinion about them. As far as customers, I tell them straight up what I think about SW. They never have a problem using my paint store, except for the rare occasion where they dont want to risk a color match.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Most of my customers want an eggshell sheen. I prefer a lower gloss eggshell like BM Ultra Spec 500. Of any paint I've used this looks the best. How durable is another question? I have no idea. I use it in offices or when a client is selling their house.

I'm afraid to use Sherwin Wiliams because my rep tells me all of their eggshells are really shiny. They don't seem to have a line just below eggshell. I don't want to use matte on walls. Another thing about SW is their high prices. MY SW rep doesn't have the authority to give me better deals it seems. He could be lying of course. Their prices are higher than Benjamin Moore and BM has better paint.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You forgot scuff x on the trim and 508 on the lids. ;) But YES to the wisdom here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You use Scuff-X on doors and trim? My go-to trim paint is Regal semi-gloss.

Does Scuff-X run when spraying?

One thing I hate about Benjamin Moore is that all the individual stores are privately owned. You don't have sales reps who comp you fivers like the big companies. I've never once in my life been comped even a single gallon by a BM store owner. They aren't the best salesman.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
You use Scuff-X on doors and trim? My go-to trim paint is Regal semi-gloss.

Does Scuff-X run when spraying?

One thing I hate about Benjamin Moore is that all the individual stores are privately owned. You don't have sales reps who comp you fivers like the big companies. I've never once in my life been comped even a single gallon by a BM store owner. They aren't the best salesman.

Being independent is a double edge sword of course. I frequently comp various gallons and E&J stuff at my store especially for new customers or guys who haven't used a particular product like CC or scuffX. I have also comped 5's but that usually comes as a credit from BM and not from me.

Your welcome to stop by my store any time, I'll hook you up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts