Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· D.O.G Founder
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early last year, AFM Safecoat launched a new paint line called "Naturals". Its the first plant-oil and mineral blend made in the US. During the oil spill in the gulf, most paint manufacturers were forced to slow down production due to a lack of raw materials. The AFM Naturals line wasn't affected in the least.

This got me to thinking....How is it that the true greenies...the ultra-environmentalists...don't insist on using this product in their own homes? I suppose its because most painting pro's don't know about it either. Or, maybe folks really just don't care about reducing the use of petroleum.

I'm not really taking a position either way...just trying to start a dialog. Since I have a really good connection to the folks at AFM, they have offered to send out some sample quarts to any of my friends who are interested in trying it. So, please PM me if you are interested in getting some.

· Almost Gone
10,736 Posts
Early last year, AFM Safecoat launched a new paint line called "Naturals". Its the first plant-oil and mineral blend made in the US. During the oil spill in the gulf, most paint manufacturers were forced to slow down production due to a lack of raw materials. The AFM Naturals line wasn't affected in the least.

This got me to thinking....How is it that the true greenies...the ultra-environmentalists...don't insist on using this product in their own homes? I suppose its because most painting pro's don't know about it either. Or, maybe folks really just don't care about reducing the use of petroleum.

I'm not really taking a position either way...just trying to start a dialog. Since I have a really good connection to the folks at AFM, they have offered to send out some sample quarts to any of my friends who are interested in trying it. So, please PM me if you are interested in getting some.
Well for one thing, I highly doubt there is a store within 100 miles of my center. Would be different perhaps if there was.

· Paint Store Owner
5,553 Posts
How can you ship paint across the country and be "green?"
Exactly. No matter how "green" the product is, it still has to be shipped somewhere. Most of the major manufacturers have multiple manufacturing and warehouse facilities around the country. Even though the product may be less "green", the means of getting it to the end user are "green-er'ish" :blink:

· Almost Gone
10,736 Posts
This whole "green" stuff is like the new Styrofoam thing in the late 80's.

Its a fad and like was said, is often less green with all the shipping required. Its like the organic produced shipped across the country. Is it really reducing pollution?

Buying locally is the most green you can get in most cases.

· Paint Store Owner
5,553 Posts
Buying locally is the most green you can get in most cases.
Im still digging the urban farming trend. I tried convincing the wife into letting me plant some veggies in the landscaping beds ( tastefully done, not all white trashy ) she still vetoed that one. :rolleyes:

· D.O.G Founder
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BreatheEasy...the fact that everything needs to be shipped does not take away from the point I was making about reducing the use of petroleum for the production of the paint. To further your point...If you're working on a LEED project, points can be awarded for using materials that were produced within a 300 mile radius of the job. However, LEED does not stipulate where the raw materials are coming from. Most TiO2 is coming from Africa or South America. Therefore, the manufacturing location is meaningless, IMHO.

TJ... Green isn't a fad, its a trend. Although, unlike a few years ago, folks are not "going green" just for the sake of feel-good-ism anymore. Consumers are looking at it from a different angle. They want a return for their green investment. Either an improved bottom line (energy savings, longer life cycle, etc) or an improvement in their quality of life (fewer toxins, less maintenance, better appearance, etc).

In 2008, US consumers purchased over 52 Billion dollars worth organic produce alone. This doesn't even include organic dairy, fabrics, etc. Point is, there is a huge market in the US for products like the AFM Naturals. I'm just so surprised that the industry doesn't embrace these opportunities. No judgement of anyone here, just truly surprised.

Thx for the feedback.

· Registered
670 Posts
thanks ajpace for the offer of the quarts. I will decline because I too, don't live near a safecoat store.

I have had ultra green clients and one, I could not convince this woman to just buy locally and in san diego we had colorama and they sold safecoat products. She was only wanting to purchase stuff from New Mexico from Bioshield, which blew my mind. I don't know what the total of her shipping cost was, but I did both her interior and exterior and she lived in a big home.

That seemed like a poor decision, however she was eccentric and she gets to make her choice. I was NOT impressed by anything from Bioshield.
I had used about every product they manufacture in her home. There was even an occasion where the New Mexico plant was out of what we needed and it came from Germany.

I wanted to add also that thru colorama(carries safecoat) I had a great discovery of soy gel striper from Franmar Corp. Have you heard of that stuff?

· Registered
372 Posts
Excuse my earlier cynicism, but when it comes to the environment, I'm a cynic. I do occasionally literally dig up paint from peoples backyards...but it's always rich people with houses that are way too big. I just help them feel like they're making a difference. I'll PM you soon to get a sample. Gotta jet!

· Almost Gone
10,736 Posts
BreatheEasy...the fact that everything needs to be shipped does not take away from the point I was making about reducing the use of petroleum for the production of the paint. To further your point...If you're working on a LEED project, points can be awarded for using materials that were produced within a 300 mile radius of the job. However, LEED does not stipulate where the raw materials are coming from. Most TiO2 is coming from Africa or South America. Therefore, the manufacturing location is meaningless, IMHO.

TJ... Green isn't a fad, its a trend. Although, unlike a few years ago, folks are not "going green" just for the sake of feel-good-ism anymore. Consumers are looking at it from a different angle. They want a return for their green investment. Either an improved bottom line (energy savings, longer life cycle, etc) or an improvement in their quality of life (fewer toxins, less maintenance, better appearance, etc).

In 2008, US consumers purchased over 52 Billion dollars worth organic produce alone. This doesn't even include organic dairy, fabrics, etc. Point is, there is a huge market in the US for products like the AFM Naturals. I'm just so surprised that the industry doesn't embrace these opportunities. No judgement of anyone here, just truly surprised.

Thx for the feedback.
You know, I appreciate the spirit of environmentalism. The vision of a clean healthy planet, and a couple free wild tigers, wolves, and bears (as long as they don't get in the way of the golf courses, the rest can be in Zoos)

Most people I hear trying to influence consumer and society choice for green, and those that are buying green, are those who in their own paradigm, have a large carbon footprint, and do a lot of stuff that is actually in contradiction to their "convictions".

Al Gore, etc.

Lets expend all this extra oil to have this "green" product shipped to my doorstep. Ah yes, doing so much for the cause, eh? Lets live in a huge house but tell others they gotta reduce their footprint (Al Gore).

There are billions of people busting their ass just so they can eat today. I wish some of these affluent bored people would actually get in reality instead of living in a fantasy world thinking that buying some :censored: product is actually helping anybody. It only helps their own warped self-concept, and makes a cool impression with their dinner party friends.

Yeah I want a healthy planet. I want things to be real too. And I want to eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.