Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new here so if I'm doing something wrong let me know. Anyways on natural wood we normally use a ml Campbell lacquer called Agualante. It is water based and if you haven't used it, it sands and looks beautiful. The issue I'm having is finding a solvent based lacquer that sands as smooth and looks as nice. I live in Canada so not sure if we have all the products that some people in America have. Also I'm using a titan caps spray 75 to apply the lacquer. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Mike

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The SW pre catalyzed lacquer is nice stuff.
Dries fast and hard. Can be applied heavy, I usually only need two coats for a nice high build finish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SW pre catalyzed lacquer is nice stuff.
Dries fast and hard. Can be applied heavy, I usually only need two coats for a nice high build finish.
Is that a solvent based lacquer? We just got a SW where I live and haven't tried anything from there yet

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Sherwin Williams is the Sherwood line of professional wood finishing products.
I use the medium rubbed effect lacquer.

I created a thread here that shows a custom cabinet set that I finished in that product...you'll have to search the job picture forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sherwin Williams is the Sherwood line of professional wood finishing products.
I use the medium rubbed effect lacquer.

I created a thread here that shows a custom cabinet set that I finished in that product...you'll have to search the job picture forum.
Hey Wisepainter what would I search? I went to your profile but I don't think any of those post would have it. Also thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you are already familiar with ML campbell why not try one of theirs?
Hey you have a good point but to be honest in kinda scared to test anything out with their name on it. I did a job (52' of railing plus kitchen island bathroom vanities) in a ml campell stain. We sanded the wood Stained it let it sit overnight then started lacquering it. A few days later as we were painting I noticed the lacquer was chipping off. I had used the lacquer on hundreds of jobs before but never the stain. The company we bought it from said we did it wrong so we asked how he would do it. It happened to be the exact same way we did it. Yet we had to sand it all down to bare wood and refinished it using a white vinyl Sealer and it still is very delicate. So I'm a little weary about trying other product from their line.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like the SW Cab Acrylic, beautiful stuff, sands smooth and very easy to spray, don't be fooled by the word acrylic its a solvent base and I thin and clean with lacquer thinner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts