Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to start spraying some Renner 851 in a couple weeks for a cabinet job and I want to make sure I have everything I need for my AAA setup (something I'm new to). If anyone can help identify weak spots, or things I need to buy, or double check, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's what I have so far:

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would use a 308, but I'm all airless. Thats a pretty awesome looking setup. What did you pay for that hopper btw?
Hopper was part of a "Fine Finishing" Package from graco. Comes with hose, whip, hopper, tip, and filters. Paid 280 at Graco 19B968 Airless Finishing Kit

Renner suggests 9 or 11 tip for the 851, so maybe I'll get a 309.

Got the 395 for 400 (with 3 extra Graco pumps). Got the bobcat for 300 on Ebay. Feel like Im making out like a king here lol

· Registered
4,556 Posts
Hopper was part of a "Fine Finishing" Package from graco. Comes with hose, whip, hopper, tip, and filters. Paid 280 at Graco 19B968 Airless Finishing Kit

Renner suggests 9 or 11 tip for the 851, so maybe I'll get a 309.

Got the 395 for 400 (with 3 extra Graco pumps). Got the bobcat for 300 on Ebay. Feel like Im making out like a king here lol
211 is a bit large but with AAA may be ok

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Get the warranty on your compressor as it is way to small for AAA spraying. I run a 10gal tank for my setup and it barely keeps up. AAA uses a lot of air, so the tank is always going to be running just to keep up. Also your tip sizes in width wont matter so much as the gun can adjust for tip shape. I run 310 and 308, that seems to be the best for me.

· Registered
4,556 Posts
Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electricity Gas Machine

Get the warranty on your compressor as it is way to small for AAA spraying. I run a 10gal tank for my setup and it barely keeps up. AAA uses a lot of air, so the tank is always going to be running just to keep up. Also your tip sizes in width wont matter so much as the gun can adjust for tip shape. I run 310 and 308, that seems to be the best for me.
This is what we run. Two compressor feeding a tank.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would something like this be more appropriate? Stealth Professional 20 Gal. 150 PSI 2 Portable Vertical Electric Air Compressor SAQ-12018 - The Home Depot

· Registered
14 Posts
fine finishing tips end with an even number. Here is what I have for using with Renner: I use a 308 tip for primer with a yellow filter (100 mesh), and then I use a 306 tip for topcoat with a red filter (150 mesh). I find it to work great. If i use the 150 mesh on primer, I get tails because it's too fine for the primer. If I use 100 mesh with 306, it would kill the tip after 2 jobs. I find with the 150 I hardly get any clogging. I have killed way too many 06 tips using the 100 mesh filter.

· Registered
14 Posts
Also depending on the size of the job you will need to have a small wire brush and lac thinner on your side as the air will help the catalyzed paint dry on your tip much faster. on big jobs I also swap out my tip and filter with a back up I have soaking in thinner because I find that if I keep using the same one I would end up with air bubbles. I am assuming this due to the fact that the filter gets partially blocked and what gets pushed through get some air trapped into it. Just personal experience. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts