Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,
It had been some time since I have posted on here. I hope everyone is busy and doing well.
I am doing a three story deck. Underneath the decking is a lot of algae. Last time I did the deck about 7 years ago, I cleaned off all of it. Was not fun at all.
I will not be staining underneath the decks, and wondering if it is worth cleaning. Is the algae is bad for the wood? I have always thought it was pretty much harmless, but did a quick Google search and one site that I went to suggested otherwise.

Peter

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it is bad for decks
Thanks. That is what I kind of considered. But, not the answer I wanted. Last time I cleaned underneath these decks was not fun at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think I would clean it within an inch of its life, apply stix to a test area, wait a few days and then check for adhesion. It should work.
Thanks. That is what I kind of considered. But, not the answer I wanted. Last time I cleaned underneath these decks was not fun at all.
well IDK what to tell you but sometimes we have to stuff thats not fun LOL

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So, no one knows if algae is bad for wood?
Pete.
it is bad. It feeds off lignin and cellulose which are the building blocks of wood cells. Algae and mold contribute to rot in addition to moisture as the organic matter is depleted. A bleach and hydroxide solution will kill the topical mold and algae in addition to the roots that are imbedded in the structural cells. Hope that helps. Yes, my store and our contractors and DIYers are still very busy but I’m seeing signs of nervousness.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would never think to put deck and fun in the same sentence..
Yeah, the ONLY reason I am doing it is because the are customers that Inhave worked for many years. Trying to totally move away from exterior work. Only doing 6 - 8 weeks this year, and will not even start my first one until mid July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts