Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Professionals,

Have you ever tried using Aluminium Wood Primer on Aluminium? Been wondering how's the performance?

Or is there any multi-surface primer to recommend? As I have wood and aluminium to work with. But requires faster solutions for bigger production volume.

I'm in Thailand now. Available brands consists of TOA, Dulux, Nippon, Berger, Jotun.

Regards,
ttay31

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't regard myself as a contractor. But I'm an engineer finding solutions for the company.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Any 100% acrylic primer, or finish coat will adhere to aluminum. Is the surface an anodized aluminum or baked aluminum, or just an aluminum siding? If the surface is tight and slick, then abrading with a green 3M pad is in order to provide a surface profile. Generally aluminum siding requires only a clean, dry and dull surface with no abrading. Not sure about those brands, however I am sure they make a primer designed for aluminum. You may have to go with a DTM Acrylic if you have a commercial exterior application for exterior or interior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nace for replying.

Yes. It is an anodized aluminium. In fact, my purpose is to lessen the process of painting as painting really occupy large part of the production time. And also to achieve a easier and simple process for the workers to understand and follow.

The wood I'm working on is a Wood Composite and I knew that the aluminium wood primer works fine. Therefore, I thinking whether the Aluminium Wood Primer works Aluminium too since it does mentioned "Aluminium". If from the professionals' experience, it works with acceptable performance. Then I'm quite assure to use it.

Just wondering the things out of the box. Otherwise, the vendors' recommended instructions will consist of many steps and paints.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried a 100% Acrylic Waterborne Paint. It resists well with rubbing action but performs bad with peeling actions. Once peeled, you can easily peel off most paint neatly.

I guess this is not a good sign.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Acrylic wood primer doesn't perform so well on previously painted surfaces but does an excellent job on untreated wood. If it's previously painted timber then use an undercoat/top coat system. The product/system on the link I provided works well and Dulux state that it lasts up to 8 years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Give me a e-mail at [email protected] and let me know the manufactures and the coating name that your using and I will see what I can find out for you more. Also, a list of items that your painting and the order at which you are painting them now starting with surface prep to finish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys,

I have found a reasonable solutions after some simple testings. Thanks for all the help and the time to response.

Just FYI,

I have decided on the Acrylic Waterborne Paint for the Wood Composites.

As for the Aluminium parts, I'll stick to the conventional method to use a primer then the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts