Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple aluminum boats coming up that I will be sand blasting to etch, before painting. I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a paint/primer combination? I'm thinking I want to stay away from the epoxies due to their brittleness and the amount of flex an aluminum boat hull will see. Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd like to stick with Sherwin-Williams if I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
sounds like a promar 200 job to me.

Reactions: journeymanPainter

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
rustoleum makes a boat paint. Everyone's heard of rustoleum so I'm sure it's a top notch paint.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
The product they use at my local marina is call ez-epoxy. It can be sprayed , rolled or brushed on. I never used it on aluminum but I know that's what its made for. I have used it on several fiberglass sailboat bottoms and it sprayed well out of my 395 airless. Then the other option is a marine grade gel coat epoxy . Then application gets a little tricky without the proper set up and some experience.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
It's rated number one :whistling2:
And they have TV commercials like Sherwin Williams does so they gotta be the best.

Reactions: daArch

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
And they have TV commercials like Sherwin Williams does so they gotta be the best.
ALL RIGHT ALREADY!!!! I GIVE UP. You've convinced me to buy from your store. So how much will it cost me to have couple of fives shipped to the SF Bay Area. And do you accept VISA?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
ALL RIGHT ALREADY!!!! I GIVE UP. You've convinced me to buy from your store. So how much will it cost me to have couple of fives shipped to the SF Bay Area. And do you accept VISA?
I'm just sayin' jeeze. Rustoleum makes boat paint and you can get it just about anywhere. Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's. Why would anyone go out of their way to ask for boat paint on this forum?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of people blast aluminum, you can't hit it hard like steel, but you can light blast it to etch it. takes the oxidation off real nice. if you're not careful though you can warp it.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
I'm just sayin' jeeze. Rustoleum makes boat paint and you can get it just about anywhere. Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's. Why would anyone go out of their way to ask for boat paint on this forum?
No seriously, I have no problem purchasing material outside of California. I've ordered material and equipment from all around the country.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a couple aluminum boats coming up that I will be sand blasting to etch, before painting. I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a paint/primer combination? I'm thinking I want to stay away from the epoxies due to their brittleness and the amount of flex an aluminum boat hull will see. Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd like to stick with Sherwin-Williams if I can.

Thanks
Application is for fresh water,
salt water,
or both?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'd call a marina. Or the boat manufacturer.

But since you want to stick with SW, contact their industrial/coastal/marine division.

And as suggested, there are many online boating forums where you can narrow down your question to a more specialized crowd.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Uh. Sherwin Williams boat paint maybe? Oh that's right they don't make a boat paint. But here's a crazy idea! Go to Doitbest.com and they have Duralux boat paint available on their site. An honest to goodness boat paint. Brought to you by the good people at California Products Corporation. You might have to pick it up at a Doitbest hardware store near you though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Uh. Sherwin Williams boat paint maybe? Oh that's right they don't make a boat paint. But here's a crazy idea! Go to Doitbest.com and they have Duralux boat paint available on their site. An honest to goodness boat paint. Brought to you by the good people at California Products Corporation. You might have to pick it up at a Doitbest hardware store near you though.
This is what I was referring to, primarily because the OP requested a SW option:

Marine & Specialty Coatings
A full line of topside, ballast, and hull coatings for all areas of your ship.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/coatings/categories/template.jsp?N=23

But on second look, your boat coating choice seems much more practical than my ship coating advice.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
This is what I was referring to, primarily because the OP requested a SW option:

Marine & Specialty Coatings
A full line of topside, ballast, and hull coatings for all areas of your ship.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/coatings/categories/template.jsp?N=23

But on second look, your boat coating choice seems much more practical than my ship coating advice.
I didn't think SW had marine coatings anymore! I guess that's what i get for leaving San Diego. I would assume they might be hard to come by unless you go to a boat maintenance supply of some sort.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Aha! Seaguard was an acquisition at some point I bet.

I bet that stuff is cheap too! NOT!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts