Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of beating an already dead and decaying horse, have you heard about Angie's List most recent announcement? They will no longer be charging for memberships to view the service providers, read their reviews, and even leave a review.

Is this a bad thing or a good thing for us? Pros? Cons?

Pros:
-immediate increase in exposure for us service providers.
-can't think of another benefit, sorry.

Cons:
-A.L.'s entire business model for the last 20 years was a resource center for finding verified trusted contractors. How did they verify? By paying members leaving reviews. You take this out of the equation and allow anyone to leave reviews and what's left of the validity of AL goes right out the window, putting them at the moral depths of Yelp and other similar models.
-The loss of revenue from not charging for basic services will have to be made up somewhere. Yes, some of those free members will elect to purchase one of AL's new membership programs based on several new tiers of services, blah,blah,blah, but I doubt they'll recover anywhere close to their loss from this, so where, or WHO, do you think AL will go to in order to raise the funds? That's right. You, the service provider. Count on it.
-With the increased exposure, it won't be long before AL doubles their fees for advertising as a service provider. This time next year, if I were a paying service provider, (which I won't be), I'd expect to pay double what I'm paying this year.
-The reviews many of us have worked so hard for will no longer carry the same weight. If anyone can leave a review for anyone, there will be an influx of unwarranted bad reviews against good service providers, as well as massive amounts of quickly generated A+ reviews on those who'll abuse the system.
-I have more cons, but my lunch is almost up, and I need to get back to work.

It seems that with the help of their new CEO, they've taken the approach of, "if you can't beat em, join em", and that's exactly what they'll do...join the ranks of all these other low-class review sites. If I were in stocks, I'd buy some AL now, and sell within the year, before the supernova is extinguished.

From a business standpoint, it'll be hard not to consider paying for advertising next year, given the ROI yielded from the last few years. From a moral & principle standpoint, it's gonna be the easiest decision I'll have to make all year.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNmbSB8bbLAhUD8mMKHZ3FBU44ChAWCBswAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.investors.com%2Fnews%2Ftechnology%2Fmillennials-prompt-angies-list-to-tear-down-paywalls-go-free-ceo%2F&usg=AFQjCNGYsW99vmxefQaVEDLeMIILtRdpLQ&sig2=8qkUkYZuMXljmUkSDRQrzg

·
Super Moderator
7,079 Posts
If that's the case I'll be out when my contract ends. Generally people paying for reviews weeds out tire kickers and lower tier prospects. In turn I have a better roi. If they make it free like yelp it'll be pointless for me to continue with them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's the case I'll be out when my contract ends. Generally people paying for reviews weeds out tire kickers and lower tier prospects. In turn I have a better roi. If they make it free like yelp it'll be pointless for me to continue with them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Exactly right. Quality of leads will go waaaay down. Cost of acquisition for us will go up. Closing rates go down. Average contract price of jobs will go down. Profit per job will plummet. Meanwhile, the cost for us to advertise with them will skyrocket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are already trying a pay per lead platform " Lead Feed " is for non paying members who request services, the then shoot it out to pro's who have the option to buy after seeing all but the leads contact info. They claim it will be sold to a Max of three service providers.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I can't count the number of times I've gone to meet a client for a bid and when they came to the door I asked if their parents were home. Many millennials have got a fair amount of dough.

As a millennial I have to agree and have worked for many as well. I will say this from my 29 years of life experience all generations have lazy entitled people. It is just the newest generation that gets blamed. That has happened through out history though. But when I look at different age groups its about the same percentage that are good productive people and no productive people from what I have seen

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
As a millennial I have to agree and have worked for many as well. I will say this from my 29 years of life experience all generations have lazy entitled people. It is just the newest generation that gets blamed. That has happened through out history though. But when I look at different age groups its about the same percentage that are good productive people and no productive people from what I have seen
Take that, all you old farts!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
That's true. Today's baby boomers were the hippies of the 60's and I'm sure their parents predicted them being the death of the country, too. My demographic is usually 35+. Millenials watch a bit too much HGTV and get advice from social media experts that tell them $20/hr is more than generous to pay a painter.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I've said this time and time again since AL and other lead generator companies became a topic here: the contractor is the one who ultimately will pay for these sites. There are only a finite amount of HO's who will use the services and every company will try to entice them to their membership. Best way to do that is to offer free membership. Therefore, the business owner is left holding the responsibility to generate the income for these companies.

For those of you who use it, find it worthwhile and cost-effective, then it's a good thing. Otherwise, maybe not so much.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thumbtack is awesome they send me 10 leads a day. ANY DAY NOW SOMEONE WILL ACTUALLY CALL ME. Homeadvisor,thumbtack all just scams. I have had good success with AL sure that will change if your not paying to be a member

1 - 13 of 13 Posts