Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in Maryland besides Ronald?
I am in Rockville. I specialize in plasters and natural finishes. I love working with green builders when possible.
some of my work is here www.decornaturel.com
If you have questions about green, I am you guy. Of course I am far from having answered them all. Yet.
Myriam

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anyone in Maryland besides Ronald?
I am in Rockville. I specialize in plasters and natural finishes. I love working with green builders when possible.
Myriam
Hi Myriam, are you doing lime, sand and horsehair plastering?

I did extensive repairs in a historic register Victorian, here in CA, but I was not up to shaving a horse ! I used fast set and mesh like we do on all repairs.
r

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tmrrptr,
I do not like mesh with lime plaster although it is used all the time on surfaces that do not accept lime such as wood or to make the connection between 2 different materials. It is best to avoid using the mesh since we don't know in the long run how it is interacting with lime.
I have used horse and hog hair to strengthen the plaster. It was not really my idea and though I am sure it does do the job, I was not crazy about working with it. But if you would like you could start a conversation on plastering in the general conversations, we will see how many people are up to this kind of work.
Myriam

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sry Myriam, I meant fiberglass mesh and fast setting joint compound for drywall use... mof, I did use some expanded metal mesh for the largest dropouts from the lath.

But I did no plastering.

Even though it was a historic register home, client was on a tight budget.
Hence, speed is of the essence, as most everything out here.

Client had gotten a 120k bid for exterior repaint and about popped a gasket. We came in at less than a third, which allowed her to make the interior repairs, which I did.

I figure the big bid guy had a full refurbish in mind... but not the client!

As I told owner of our company, if that guy hits 3 or 4 a year, he's got a full time job for a full crew...

Thanks, but I'm not even close to some of the excellent journeymen who are active here on the BB, especially plastering!
r

1 - 9 of 9 Posts