Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our SW rep was saying that a remodeler was fined and the epa checked on a painter in the area, but he was in compliance.

The newspaper printed an article, which was interesting. The epa is contending that it only costs $60 extra or so to be in compliance (wonder what drug that person was smoking when he came up with that ridiculous number). Also, in our area they are relying on whistle blowers and the general public to keep things in compliance, and not actually patrolling.

We finally received the Firm registration last week or two, it took a while. We have four renovators out of 8 people total, so we went overboard on training. We do show up on the EPA site as a certified firm, which is great.

· Registered
12,314 Posts
. The epa is contending that it only costs $60 extra or so to be in compliance (wonder what drug that person was smoking when he came up with that ridiculous number).
I agree that the amount is crazy, but they figured it like everyone was already practicing Lead Safe procedures, and now you "just have to do a little paperwork"! :rolleyes:

· Almost Gone
10,736 Posts
I'm starting a project tomorrow and I hope I'm not fined. I don't think I will be. This is a "right to work" state where I live, and I haven't been formally communicated to as a licensed contractor, so I say its bs to be able to fine somebody that hasn't been informed formally of regulation changes in their trade.

Oh and thanks federal govt bureaucracy for trying to turn friendly neighborhoods into places where people become suspicious and turn against one another by utilizing fear tactics, disguised in the lie of keeping people safe.

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
I'm starting a project tomorrow and I hope I'm not fined. I don't think I will be. This is a "right to work" state where I live, and I haven't been formally communicated to as a licensed contractor, so I say its bs to be able to fine somebody that hasn't been informed formally of regulation changes in their trade.

Have you ever heard "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Not knowing will not hold up in court.

Right to work applies to not being excluded from working or refused a job because you did not join a union. (which should apply nationwide)

Oh and thanks federal govt bureaucracy for trying to turn friendly neighborhoods into places where people become suspicious and turn against one another by utilizing fear tactics, disguised in the lie of keeping people safe.
We get the goverment we vote for.

· Registered
1,415 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing how they'd react when you act completely dumbfounded about it.

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

6,326 Posts
So I am looking at $37,500 for not sealing off a house like a crime scene and BP has not recieved any penalties for not having a back up plan destroying an entire eco sytstem and maybe worse.Oh,by the way It's still gushing out and they're talking about filling it with golf balls & shredded tires!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,415 Posts
So I am looking at $37,500 for not sealing off a house like a crime scene and BP has not recieved any penalties for not having a back up plan destroying an entire eco sytstem and maybe worse.Oh,by the way It's still gushing out and they're talking about filling it with golf balls & shredded tires!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget all the maintenance that was skipped, dead battery in a key piece of safety equipment etc. etc. etc.

Plain neglect.

but i'll be damned if someone lets me pressure wash a house and i don't reclaim the water.... even if it has had 5 non lead coats of paint over the old stuff

· Almost Gone
10,736 Posts
We get the goverment we vote for.
Actually, I wish it was that simple. The EPA is a Federal agency led by appointed officials, not elected office holders. This new regulation was started in the Bush administration and has crossed into/ grandfathered in the B Hussien Obama admin. These agencies are a byproduct of how big and out of control our overall fed govt has become. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
They do have a tough time enforcing many of their regulations, however. But, again, this has good potential to be a money maker for them. This assumes that the govt is an efficient enterprise:thumbup:

· Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
I have tried to do this on jobs, I have spent the money on classes, firm cert, HEPA VACS, sanders, etc but have not landed one job I priced for this work. Priced 3 complete exteriors so far and none of them have wanted the work done.

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts

You should have donated millions to the ________________ Party and President______'s campaign.

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
So far it seems that I'm the only one who admits to actually trying to do this on a job.
Anyone?
If you mean follow the law, yes, soon. I have 2 jobs lined up. Was supposed to start one next week, but:

A. Don't have my vac yet.
B. Rain has postponed it.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Watched a neighbor have their exterior done- ( I have done their interior work- but sent them elsewhere for X) . The guys were trying to follow the rules- saw the sign up- wasn't home when/if they powerwashed- but they're trying- and aware of it. My neighborhood is all pre WWII.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.