Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Op, we just picked up our planex and ct extractor in September. Like you we do lots of drywall work as well as painting. We also sand walls and ceiling before every re paint. Practically dust free. Yes some escapes when we do popcorn removal. Also get the good fabric style bags. The clear plastic ones they give you are ok but messy when removing them from the extractor. Buy a lot of sandpaper up front. We bought from 24 grit all the way to 220. It added a lot to the cost but have already used every grit. Well worth the investment. You won’t look back, very user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FasterBetterCheaper
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it stands up to the talk. My only concern is the money. I would just hate to buy a cheap-o and then have it fail and be out that money. I usually buy the best I can afford... Big decision. thanks for your reply and advice, best wishes.

·
FasterBetterCheaper
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, if youre doing a lot of drywall it's definitely worth it. I have one and don't do all that much drywall stuff anymore, mainly just patches which I use an ETS125 for. Every now and again I get to break out the planex and am never disappointed.
And you don't use it that much. Wow. To have a lifetime tool is usually worth it. Thanks very much

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I had trouble justifying the price, but it paid for itself I think after the first job or two in labor savings (whole house new construction). Now that I have it, I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

·
FasterBetterCheaper
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with everyone else. I had trouble justifying the price, but it paid for itself I think after the first job or two in labor savings (whole house new construction). Now that I have it, I wouldn't want to get rid of it.
That's what I need to hear! But I'm a painter doing small jobs. This is a big decision!

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's what I need to hear! But I'm a painter doing small jobs. This is a big decision!
Me too! At the moment it is me and one finisher. I should have 2 more working but hiring has been a nightmare this year. I actually used it again today. I have had it for probably 5 years and only use it a couple times a year. The first job I did with it, 1 guy sanded a whole good size house by himself. It usually would have taken probably 3 guys to do the same thing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
how does the planex do against sealed textured ceiling lets say a heavy orange peel ? more efficient than scraping or skimming over ?
I can say that with painted popcorn the festool has no problem whatsoever. I start with 36 grit and work my way up. Remove it down to almost the original surface, rx 35 primer, re mud,re sand and spray 2 finish coats. The orange peel or even knockdown I would not try to sand that down. It’s already relatively smooth so I would go straight to a skim on those textures. When it comes time to sand all that skim coating I will be using the festool. This is a pic of a master bed ceiling and I had the popcorn off and ready for primer in under 45 mins. That’s not possible without the festool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts